Pulling a TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheLastViking

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
'79
Truck Model
K10 shortbed on 1 tons
Engine Size
Please excuse the long story. My wife and I are going shopping for a Suburban this weekend, that will become my new daily driver. That will leave me with 2 pickups and a full-size SUV, which is 1 vehicle too many.

My current DD is a '93 GMC K1500 shortbed. The original TBI engine has been replaced with a built 4 bolt version out of an '88. Ported heads, hotter cam, fully balanced crank, just over 370HP. The 4l60 has been built to match by the same builder.

My '79 K10 will be my toy/backup/hauler. It already has a great powertrain.

The '93 has a decent but not great body, and I've put too much work and money into the engine and trans to simply sell it. I want to pull the motor, trans, and T-case out of it and hold onto it for a future project, then part out the rest of the truck.

What all do it need to keep from the truck to make the TBI and electronic tranny work in whatever they end up in?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
The TBI harness unbolts from the firewall, just take the whole thing, it's only tied to the chassis for power, it's a simple swap. It does need the VSS info from the Tcase, but, the Tcase is the wrong drop for Chevy solid axle vehicles, unless your future swap winds up being another OBS that you use a Ford axle in.

Or you can get an 89 Blazer 241 that has the VSS and the correct Squarebody Chevy passenger drop.

TheLastViking

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
'79
Truck Model
K10 shortbed on 1 tons
Engine Size
Thanks. The recipient of that powertrain will most likely be a jeep, or something along those lines.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Thanks. The recipient of that powertrain will most likely be a jeep, or something along those lines.

Well Jeeps, just like my favorite kind of girls, go both way's lol. So maybe hold onto the 241 too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alysco