Pull-A-Part Tools List?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
What in the Fugg have you been smoking? For real? You carry all that **** to the PAP yard? Garage Jack??? Sledge Hammer? Dawn dish soap? Let me guess, you take your wife and your mom and they carry all this **** for you?

I leave the hand cleaner in my truck. I do use hand soap on my hands after I get done and back to my truck and have a clean rag that I left there for wiping it off. But I don't carry that **** in.

89S, better add Ass Wipe to your list. Unless intend on backing up on a Lincoln's back seat to leave a big skid !!!:roflbow:

I'll try to get a list or pic of what I take. Many times it depends on what I'm going to get, but there are a few items I take for just in case. You never know what you might find that you were going to get.

No they dont carry all that stuff. I take what can carry and if i need it i just walk back to truck to get it. Unless I go to the salvage yard in New market Virginia then I can just my truck in the yard then.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i know the guy that owns the junk yard around here and i get to take my trucks in the yard so i take alot of tools.

i normally take my wrecker so i can lift **** up
and it has alot of tools on it at all times

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What in the Fugg have you been smoking? For real? You carry all that **** to the PAP yard? Garage Jack??? Sledge Hammer? Dawn dish soap? Let me guess, you take your wife and your mom and they carry all this **** for you?

I leave the hand cleaner in my truck. I do use hand soap on my hands after I get done and back to my truck and have a clean rag that I left there for wiping it off. But I don't carry that **** in.

89S, better add Ass Wipe to your list. Unless intend on backing up on a Lincoln's back seat to leave a big skid !!!:roflbow:

I'll try to get a list or pic of what I take. Many times it depends on what I'm going to get, but there are a few items I take for just in case. You never know what you might find that you were going to get.

Lol, I take a ton of stuff too. Hell, I even take my own wheel barrow in there. I have a small steel toolbox with the real common stuff that allways goes with me (1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets, extensions, couple ratchets, common smaller wrenches, allens, torx, two sizes phillips, two sizes flat, dikes, robo-grips, window crank tool, pry fork, STEAK KNIFE (very important),and couple other small items). Then I have a tool bag that often goes in with me too, it has bigger things like full wrench sets, more screw drivers, claw hammer, smaller prybar, full 1/2 drive socket set, more pliers/dikes, big adjustable wrench, axle/hub nut sockets, some punches/chisels, 1/2 ratchet and a 1/2 breaker bar.

Then out in the truck, I keep things 'just in case'. Big hammers, big prybars, small jack, couple cheater bars, steering wheel/hub pullers, drill and bits, and whatever else I feel like hauling with me.

Zaar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zaar
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20/30
Engine Size
Why does everyone use pb blaster or wd40? How about the best creeper there is kroil! Nothing penetrates better than kroil i think kano industries makes it a bit pricey but the can lasts. Most hvac supply stores carry it fyi.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Why does everyone use pb blaster or wd40? How about the best creeper there is kroil! Nothing penetrates better than kroil i think kano industries makes it a bit pricey but the can lasts. Most hvac supply stores carry it fyi.

I cant find it around here.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lol, I take a ton of stuff too. Hell, I even take my own wheel barrow in there. I have a small steel toolbox with the real common stuff that allways goes with me (1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets, extensions, couple ratchets, common smaller wrenches, allens, torx, two sizes phillips, two sizes flat, dikes, robo-grips, window crank tool, pry fork, STEAK KNIFE (very important),and couple other small items). Then I have a tool bag that often goes in with me too, it has bigger things like full wrench sets, more screw drivers, claw hammer, smaller prybar, full 1/2 drive socket set, more pliers/dikes, big adjustable wrench, axle/hub nut sockets, some punches/chisels, 1/2 ratchet and a 1/2 breaker bar.

Then out in the truck, I keep things 'just in case'. Big hammers, big prybars, small jack, couple cheater bars, steering wheel/hub pullers, drill and bits, and whatever else I feel like hauling with me.

I hope you and Dave at least take a pair of *****. In fact you each probably better takes 2 pair of *****. And I mean some big burly ***** too. It would take all 4 of those bitches named Butch to hike in and out with all that ****, and then carry whatever you'd be buying.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I hope you and Dave at least take a pair of *****. In fact you each probably better takes 2 pair of *****. And I mean some big burly ***** too. It would take all 4 of those bitches named Butch to hike in and out with all that ****, and then carry whatever you'd be buying.

Lol, don't skim. I take the tool box and the tool bag only if I can take the wheel barrow in with me. Otherwise I just carry the tool box. If it's a yard with cars scattered all over the place and/or mud, ice, snow, etc then I'll just walk in with a multi-tool and scout the place out first.

And all the stuff I take with me, I have needed several times at one point or another over the years. I used to spend almost every weekend at junkyards, all year round.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
1/4 and 3/8 rachets and sockets, my lil 5" visegrip, few screwdrivers.

It depends on what im going after, then i choose the tools i take. Local junkyard is about 17mi away.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
My closest pick a part yard is 50 miles away. Of course I haul in there 3-4 loads a week. Don't forget to bring a trailer so if you buy to much you can haul it home or the truck you catch outside the gate before they haul it in lol

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't have the luxury of having a pull apart handy. BUT IMO it makes perfect sense that what ever you use to remove the old part off of your truck would be the same tools to take to remove the new part.

Might also prevent you from buying other parts that you want but don't NEED.

Pops: When you get down this way there are a few yards... Me and a buddy head out once or twice a year just to wander around and see what they got for our respective rides.

I need to put together a list of the most common socket sizes I need the most often. Typically I just throw all my wrenches, hammer, pry bar, set of screw drivers, a socket set with a ratchet w/extensions, set of sockets for what I'm going in for, and a cheater bar. Usually overkill, but always afraid I'm going to forget the one tool I need.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I remember when I lived in So Cal, the Ecology Center, now named something to do with U Pull it, or PAP, used to have sales like 2 or 3 times a year. You paid $50 to get in and you got to take out all you could carry. :rofl: Guys would take a cart and have a complete motor in, and axles straddling the cart, carbs, starters, and a door hanging around their neck. :rofl: You think a grown man can't be a pack mule? I'm hear to tell you, I've seen it, and I"ve done it. I got a complete motor and trans, steering column and bunch of misc parts in a 2 wheel steel cart and WHEELED it to the parking lot in my truck. And do you think I had help? NOPE. It's all about balancing the weight. I did take some tie down straps with me those days.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
If your allowed to use torches then you need set of torches too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If your allowed to use torches then you need set of torches too.

I've NEVER seen a PAP yard allow torches. In fact they have signs up everywhere, NO TORCHES.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
the yard i go to, if you need something, they will jack it up with their cat and cut it off for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br562g