Pull-A-Part Tools List?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Can I see some of your guys list of tools for making your trips to pull a part? :popcorn:

My list:

-Makita Cordless 1/4" Driver
-Makita Cordless Drill
-Spare battery and my bit kit for above that covers many types, torx, allen, square, phillips, flat, 1/4 and 3/8" drive adapters and has some generic socket bits
-1/4" and 3/8" socket sets and extensions, metric and SAE
-Pry bar will be a must
-Can of PB Blaster
-Rags
-Pliers of various types
-Channel Locks
-Vise grips
-Wire Cutters
-Adjustable wrenches
-Pipe wrench
-Hacksaw
-Large hammer, small ball peen and rubber mallet
-Couple chisels and drift pins
-18" bolt cutters.
-Tin snips
-Handful of old drill bits
-Multi meter

Last edited:

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Everything! Because that ONE thing you don't bring is the ONE thing you'll need the most! :favorites25:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That is what I am worried about, lol!!! I really want to know what is in Retro's and HR's box.:D

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
You need to take cordless 1/2in drive impact wrench, breaker bar, ton of sockets and ratchets, screwdrivers, hex wrenches/sockets, torx wrenches/sockets, open/close end wrenches, pry bars, nut drivers, garage jack, etc.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thanks, keep it coming. Wanting to keep it to one tool box. I have a wagon I am taking also.

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Ball pean hammer, mini sledge, punches, all types of pilers, pipe wrench, axle nut sockets, dawn soap, rags, etc.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I just take about a 250 peace craftsman set, wrench set. hammer, punch, chisel, torex set, couple extra extention, couple universals, pair good pliers, and a good set of screwdrivers will get 95% of everything I get. I got hookup at pick a part yard, I know yard manager and he sends someone to pull most of my stuff lol. My problem is I spend to much time taking off other stuff I don't need and buy it to.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
My problem is I spend to much time taking off other stuff I don't need and buy it to.

Yah, I got to be careful of that myself. :roflbow: My prime must have tool will be the makita cordless with a spare battery and my bit kit that covers many types, torx, phillips, flat, 1/4 and 3/8" drive adapters and has some generic socket bits. Then I can pack a few 1/4 and 3/8 socket setts and extensions. I won't lug the 1/2 stuff in unless I am going after something heavy duty off the frame. Pry bar will be a must. Can of PB Blaster, some rags. Pliers, vise grips, adjustables, maybe a pipe wrench. Hacksaw, large and small hammer, mallet, couple chisels and drift pins. Wire cutters and maybe a 18" pair of bolt cutters. I am going to keep a running list in the first post and add anything you guys post I see as practical for my intentions. :handshake:

Oh, the cordless drill and a few ****** bits and some sheet metal shears.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
you ever try Zep 45 instead of blaster? works twice as good and I was a pb blaster guy for years

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
you ever try Zep 45 instead of blaster? works twice as good and I was a pb blaster guy for years

Better than WD40 too? I also want to make a batch of that trans fluid **** HR keeps telling us about.

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I don't have the luxury of having a pull apart handy. BUT IMO it makes perfect sense that what ever you use to remove the old part off of your truck would be the same tools to take to remove the new part.

Might also prevent you from buying other parts that you want but don't NEED.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
The rep from Zep came in one day to advertise his product. I tryed to run him off. He asked me what I used for rusted seized parts and I told him PB blaster. He said let me show you a quick demostration and if it don't impress you I will give you $20 for your time. You know how pb blaster eats a syrofoam cup right? Well he filled 2 cups full of water. He put a small spray of blaster in one cup and about half the amount of zep 45 in other. The bottom melted out of the cup with Zep in it within a couple of seconds, while the blaster floated on top of the water in the other, slowly sinking to the bottom. Remember rust is moisture so if oil won't penitrat the water it wont penitrait rust.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You need to take cordless 1/2in drive impact wrench, breaker bar, ton of sockets and ratchets, screwdrivers, hex wrenches/sockets, torx wrenches/sockets, open/close end wrenches, pry bars, nut drivers, garage jack, etc.

Ball pean hammer, mini sledge, punches, all types of pilers, pipe wrench, axle nut sockets, dawn soap, rags, etc.

What in the Fugg have you been smoking? For real? You carry all that **** to the PAP yard? Garage Jack??? Sledge Hammer? Dawn dish soap? Let me guess, you take your wife and your mom and they carry all this **** for you?

I leave the hand cleaner in my truck. I do use hand soap on my hands after I get done and back to my truck and have a clean rag that I left there for wiping it off. But I don't carry that **** in.

89S, better add Ass Wipe to your list. Unless intend on backing up on a Lincoln's back seat to leave a big skid !!!:roflbow:

I'll try to get a list or pic of what I take. Many times it depends on what I'm going to get, but there are a few items I take for just in case. You never know what you might find that you were going to get.

Zaar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zaar
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20/30
Engine Size
lol! too funny i've practically lived on a pull it yard since i was a kid. i take 1 tool box in the same on i leave in my truck it has the 1/2 inch goodies with a breaker bar and the craftsman ratchets which the newer style is junk, 3/8 tool set in my craftsman "mechanics kit" lol and my assortment of old school mechanic tools that ive acquired from the old timers little compact ridgid li-ion torque monster mini drill and my adjustable crow foot its super helpful i have almost all torks in a driver tool and 2 hex sets both metric and standard i have way too much packed the only thing i dont bring and sometimes i wish i did is my dewalt cordless sawzall. unless someone is bringing in a large generator or a very powerful inverter and a battery source ill bring the milwaukee. ok enough rambling. oh and yes handcleaner in the car with some old shop towels. thats my normal tool list

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Take a can of liquid wrench penetrating oil. Best stuff I used yet. Better than PB blaster and wd 40.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus