Getting ready to crank a motor what is not in my check list/ motors running now newb questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It was the filter with the check valve. Went by a different parts store and grabbed one without the valve in it along with a chrome one for rubber hoses. Got the motor running so on to the next thing 2 problems. Still not getting any fuel from the tanks to the end of the line coming off the pumps. Figure I'll start at the pump and work my way to the tanks and see where I have fuel and dont have it. Along with I've got to look into hooking up some manual gauges for my water temp and oil pressure since I'm not sure if the dash is working.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Maybe the check valve filter was in backwards??? Designed to not let carb drain out.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The first filter that was in it didn't have a check valve in it. Napa gave me one that had one in it. Planning on messing with the fuel system when the turkey stuff is done. Going to start at the switch for the tanks and work my way to the mechanical pump. Probably hook my 2 gallon jug up to the pump if I don't run out of daylight.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Successful evening even though I believe the heater core went out on me. Success number 1 using laser thermometer I know my cooling system was doing what was supposed to and the dash gauge works. Success number 2 I moved the truck where I wanted it on it's own power. Success number 3 the fuel system is now alive and pumping after I moved it. Do have a huge puddle of varnish since I hadn't put the hose I had on the metal fuel line back in the catch bucket after moving. Which I had for incase it decide to start pumping while it was idling. So I can now empty both fuel tanks and see if I need to replace the tanks or if both being full the whole time saved them.ill take all of these wins with the loss of a heater core.
Now for the newb question any good videos or advice on replacing the heater core. Haven't looked into what I need to do yet. By the way I'm assuming that the heater core is done because of the smoke that came out the vents and antifreeze coming from goove box area and what should be the ac and heat box against the firewall in the engine compartment

Crazy question can I just tie the lines together and bypass the heater core until I replace it, so I can do other things in the meantime? Think I helped a mechanic do something similar on a Kenworth a few years ago.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005