Power door locks not working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
My 83 sierra classic has power windows and locks.

Driver window works. passenger im sure the motor is shot/ switch is unhooked.

I was wondering why my door locks didnt work at all. neither door. neither switch. no noises or anything.

whats the likely hood that both actuators are shot? or is it more simple such as a lack of power to the actuators? if so what should i check?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The power window and door locks are separate circuits but run on the same loom. The door locks could be a couple of things.

1. The easiest is to get new switches. I did this and my LOCK feature worked again. They are flimsy on the inside and contacts wear out in them.
2. It could be the relay that is used in the lock system. They are hard to find under the dash, and hard to find at the parts store.
3. Window could be motor or power to motor... or maybe even the switch.

Wiring Diagram for you...

Attachments

• Power Win & DL.jpg
    Power Win & DL.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 559

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
Thanks ill have to get out there tomorrow and see. can i test if it my switch without buying a new one?

and that motor when i hook the switch back the motor clicks and maybe moves a cm.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
or is it more simple such as a lack of power to the actuators? if so what should i check?

There should be power available at the jack indicated (E) in the dwg below. And there should be an orange wire plugged into that jack. The orange wire is the hot lead to the power lock system.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
okay so i went out today and played around with it. they are getting power. everything is good up to the switches.

and so my test there was to jump the power wire (orange and black) to the others. if i went to the blue wire the the locks would lock. but if jumped to the black and white (unassumingly unlock?) wire nothing would happen.

so i thought 1 well switches are bad for sure. so i took them off and opend and cleaned the contacts. they both will work to lock the truck. but not unlock?

And i tried the jumping wires on both doors. locking was fine. but neither would unlock.

any ideas as to why?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
There's no "neutral" position- you know what I mean. The plunger is either up or down.

So, if they can move to the lock position - they were previously in the unlocked position (or trying to get there).

If the buttons don't go down, it's probably a mechanical/linkage issue, not electrical.

Last edited:

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
from my understanding(after seeing the inside of the switch) the switch diverts power one way or the other. either to make the actuator pull or push the lock.

Now what i dont understand is why even jumping to the wire does nothing.

edit: Okay so i went out and took a test light to that side of the switch. and its sending power both ways. so im going to pull the panels and look and see the wiring. and to clarify what they do. the switched are able to move the buttons and locks into lock from unlock. but wont unlock at all. nothing happens

Last edited:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My truck would lock, but not unlock. Switches were bad. Replace yours, its cheap.

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
well the switches work. according to the test light. ill have to check the wiring

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So did mine, but a test light is misleading. I wasnt getting but around 5v. Enough to light a test light, not enough to energize a lock actuator. A multimeter would be best as I found out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53