Post your experiences buying auto parts from summit racing and other places

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
My SS is running a JEGS th-350/cooler and converter. Mrs. Jones launches fronts up on street tires , chirps the skinnies AND third. I bought it TWELVE YEARS AGO. At every available opportunity I buy Jegs house brand. They have earned both my respect AND money, much like O'Reilly's.
Brand loyalty? I has it.
I LOOOVE racing guys that rep Summit stickers because I know I'll win. Most times it wasn't even worth the gas.
Oh you has an Edelbrock ANYTHING? I like your Summit sticker! Sure, I'll run ya. How much you got in your pocket?

Jegs knows it too, they have class.

Note the commonality of the Summit guy's posts?They speak of returning stuff.
Summit has superior advertising, I'll give em that. Like Edelbrock...

Attachments

• IMG_20150422_025441.jpg
    IMG_20150422_025441.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have bought stuff from Summit, LMC, JC Whitney, Treadwright, Inline Tube, and CCP, and had great experiences with all of them. CCP was a big order, disc brake conversion for my '69 C10 stepside. Guess I've been lucky!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I've ordered from Summit, Jegs and all kinds of other places. Never had any issues with them. My favorite by far is ordering thru Amazon. I just ordered pitman and idler arms for my Silverado thru Amazon a few minutes ago. Free 2 day shipping with Prime... being in Montana if I order from anyone else it will take a week to get parts.
If I'm ordering parts for my truck I usually need them soon so I can get back up and going. I just don't fully trust what they think fit. I always look up the parts at the manufacturer first to get part numbers.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Summitt and Jegs are awesome and i wish ALL retailers, irregardless of automotive or not, would operate like them.

a) i've often had to return stuff due to my ordering the wrong parts, and feel guilty about this, but they both always take it back cheerfully.

b) i passed thru Reno last year and stopped by the Summitt retail store. If you're into cars they you HAVE to stop by there. Lots of good displays and they have bins of returned stuff that they can't sell online as new, so they sell it at discounted prices.

c) Now, i did buy a cheap Summitt brand dual gauge set(the water temp and oil pressure) and they didn't last very long/weren't really great qualilty. But what do you expect for $19.97. You get what you pay for.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2924/overview/

So, i'd say Summitt and probably Jeg's branded stuff probably isn't real high quality.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have been ordering form summit and jegs for ever. I have one of summits 383 blocks in my shed rite now that I have traded to my father for a 454 block. My new 350 motor in my Camaro was all ordered from both Jegs and Summit except for the cam which I ordered strait from Comp cams due to it being custom. I have sadly noticed though the tires I am getting for my truck are $50 apiece cheaper from Wallmart of all places than from Summit :( Never had a bad experience from Summit or Jegs in about the 10-11 years I have ordered from them. We are talking about 20K in parts over the last 10 years. I ordered a whole Chevy 383 one part at a time from summit over 2 years. That is what my block is from and I am talking every nut and bolt one at a time hahaha. Not one bad experience. The tires and rims on my hot rod were ordered one at a time from Jegs. I have one hell of a box of stickers stashed some were. If there is a sticker from a car part on my ride then I ordered that part and it is on my ride :)

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Never heard of poor products. Service is first class. Refunds are instant and they dont give you crap. Customer service #1 for me for 15 years and i buy alot of stuff from them.. and return alot also.

Jegs/summit

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have had great luck purchasing from both Summit and Jegs.

JcWhitney has lost all of their credit. They don't even have english speaking sales reps on the phone. Piss poor customer service (lack of comprehending the english language). JcWhitney sales and customer serice reps are outsourced somewhere in the jungles of India, Pakistan, hell it could be Afghanistan for what it's worth. ****** sell out company with ****** products. At least when I call Jegs or Summit they SPEAK and COMPREHEND english and are in the u.s.a.

lwilson77

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
496 big block
summit is always a good vendor

Just like anything else in this world you should do your homework on parts when u buy package deals. But they have never done me wrong and have great tech support. Just know what youre buying and how many variations there are, educate yourself a little before you throw hard earned money down.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Let me clarify what i'm saying about Summitt (and probably Jeg's) house brands.

Both Summitt and Jeg's carry high quality name brand stuff. They both also carry cheaper house branded stuff which i'm not real confident with.

i didn't have great results with the budget summitt house brand gauge combo (oil press and water temp).

But for $19.95 what do you expect? That's like $10 per gauge!

i'm not sure why i bought them. At the time i just needed something to monitor my engine temp. i didn't realize that with gauges you get what you pay for.

It's sort of like Harbor Freight stuff----if you need something just to get by with for now, it's ok. Otherwise get higher quality stuff.

You get what you pay for.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Let me clarify what i'm saying about Summitt (and probably Jeg's) house brands.

Both Summitt and Jeg's carry high quality name brand stuff. They both also carry cheaper house branded stuff which i'm not real confident with.

i didn't have great results with the budget summitt house brand gauge combo (oil press and water temp).

But for $19.95 what do you expect? That's like $10 per gauge!

i'm not sure why i bought them. At the time i just needed something to monitor my engine temp. i didn't realize that with gauges you get what you pay for.

It's sort of like Harbor Freight stuff----if you need something just to get by with for now, it's ok. Otherwise get higher quality stuff.

You get what you pay for.

I can understand the generic parts like gauges and such being outsourced, but all the house brand engine parts I've ordered have all worked very well. I'm not sure where you would have to look to find out who makes their cams,and other internal parts but I can say I've never had an issue. Was actually kinda surprised recently when I looked up a double roller timing chain, and one of the big name brands had them cheaper than the Summit brand.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I have always had good luck ordering from the following Parts companies- Summit. Jegs, Four Wheel parts, Arizona Desert Rat and I ordered custom Energy Suspension leaf spring bushings from a company called energysuspensionparts.com. No complaints.

Now I will mention accompany that does have bad customer service and that is a offroad shock company called Doescht Tech. They make a good shock but not too great on the customer service end. They specialize in desert racing shocks.

As for gun and ammo companies I recommend Midway, Midsouth Shooter Supply, Natchez Shooter supply, GrabAGun, DSA arms.

jackyrenton

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
v8
I think AutoZone is a better option than Summit Racing, generally speaking. Not sure in terms of shipping though.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
WEll I just ordered some stuff from Summit and they had me all set up in like 4 min flat! And the shipping was half the cost that other companies want. You have to have your part#s ready though and you need to know exactly what you want, but that's the same any where you buy.

I definitely am going to use Summit again especially since they have such a large inventory. I actually had called a few places looking for my part but nobody had any stock, I called summit and now Im just waiting for it to show up to my door cause they did have it in stock.

Im only gonna use Summit and Rock Auto from now on!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I've used Summit and Rock Auto a lot in the past and have had good experiences with both and both seem to have great prices. If it's something I need immediately I've been using Advance Auto Parts recently as well as O'Reilly. I rarely use AutoZone anymore for anything.

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just got some pre-bent brake lines from Inline Tube. This is my second order from them. Nice lines and fast shipping!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising