Post your experiences buying auto parts from summit racing and other places

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I wanna know your experiences buying parts from summit racing and other online places.

First off I heard good and bad things about buying from summit racing. I heard the quality of there parts are poor from summit.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I have never had poor quality from summit. I've had nothing but good luck with them, great service, great shipping, fast delivery, nothing but good with them. I just ordered a bunch of things from them, one backordered, and it arrived before they said it'd be availible, they even sent a post card to me aying they were sorry it was taking a bit, and said if I didn't get it by the first of March they'd send another post card to see if I still wanted to wait or if I wanted a refund. The part came in that day though. I ordered it feb. 1 or 2, and knew it was listed as availible feb. 24 or so. I got it thursday. Their customer service is very helpful too. email replies are slow but I always get the answers I ned or I am looking for, phone is much faster. I ordered rings that would not fit my truck and had no idea why they would not, turns out they had deep oil grroves, shallow and medium, I got deep and needed shallow. Sent them back, got a refund and got my right ones pretty quick.

Nothing bad with jegs, only ordered from them a couple times, mostly deal with summit.

GREAT with rockauto. very fast, only dealt with them once, they messed up the order, sent me four of the same tie rod ends, instead of 2 inner and 2 outer, called them up, they sent me the right ones FREE, told me to keep the others and dispose of as I see fit. So i did, kept em in the box for a future square body front end.

Northern auto parts was good too, nothing bad to say on them. I ordered my gasket set, and cam kit from them for my 88. Turns out the timing set was double roller, so it was a nice surprise.

Jcwhitney has always been awesome, ordered from them alot, never a problem. Ordered a lift kit for dad's 86, hood scoops, alot of stuff.

streetsideauto.com was awesome too, I ordered my valve covers, air cleaner, stainless fender trim, stainless rocker trim, and I don't know what else from them. Great packaging to protect everything and very fast shipping. Only complaint, their search feature on their site is weird and doesn't work right. They price beat and match of course.

Amazon.com, we order everything from them, great to deal with, only had a book get messed up once, had a sticker on it to scan with a different name then what the book was, we ordered the book listed on the sticker, but the book wasn't it, sticker said it was lol. Sent it back no problems though and got a full refund. ordering certain car/truck parts, you need to know what part you need, their search isn't always right as to what fits and what doesn't. Their site sometimes says it won't fit the vehicle I want it for, other sites say it does or I know it will fit, other times it says it'll fit and don't, but only once, an egr valve and I didn't know you had to have the stock numbers first.

So with that said, I usually deal with summit and amazon the most. I always check prices with all of them including autozone and advanced, and whoever has the best price on them is who I go with.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Awesome post swims.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
ok first off....

post #19

Becareful of their "engine Kits" They will advertise something like mahle pistons, but the rest of the components will be junk. Or it may be a scat crank, or comp cam, etc. They put 1 or 2 "good name" parts in the kit, then fill it with sub-par parts like eagle cranks, etc.

The only advantage to a summit or jegs is price. the local guy will not be able to match the pricing, but add in the freight from the online companies and you end up around the same as the locals.

Besides, we need to support our local speed shops!! They are a dying breed

my reply.

There aint no local speed shops here, we got advance, and autozone that's it. The local cost for something like a crank is cheaper then summit's price, but it's a reman crank and not std. size and is cheaper and not as good quality most likely. I always hear ppl say scat is junk or eagle is, I thought they were good.

As for machineing parts and all, I have never bought things like pistons, heads, blocks, or intakes from them. I never bought any of their rebuild kits or anything. So not sure, but I could see it being a problem from ANYONE, they buy in bulk to sell cheap, so quality can sometimes be off on a few. That's with anything ever made.

As my dad always says if it's made on friday, going on a drunk, or monday, coming off a drunk, then it's not good quality. Friday they are ready to party and go home, too excited to care, monday they have the full week ahead of them and dread it, and don't give a crap because they are in a bad mood or hungover.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
85 and 87
Truck Model
K25- K25
Engine Size
350 and 350
I use summit all the time and have never had a single problem. Their customer service is great, shipping is always fast and cheap, And their prices are very competitive. I don`t think i would hesitate to get a summit engine.

Jegs is also good but i don`t use them as much but have never had any trouble with them.

I bought from rock auto once a long time ago but i don`t remember having any problems.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I've ordered a few things from summit and have really good luck :waytogo:

I bought most of the stuff for the 77 from LMC and had great experiences for several years now. I've also bought stuff from www.classicparts.com (formerly Chevy Duty) and always had good luck there too.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I have also ordered things from raybuck, great prices and fast shipping, good quality replacement panels too. They were one of if not THE first to carry gas tank brackets for these trucks, not just straps. They are also the only ones I know who have the bed cross sills for fleetsides too.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
There is a Summit racing warehouse/distribution center with a built in retail store on the other side of town so I dont order anything. I just look it up online and get a part number, tell them what I need and they go find it in the warehouse.

I have got a few things from them including the carburetor rebuild kit I used in that write up. Usually its a policy at every parts store (maybe even written on the box if I remember) that i you cut the plastic encasing the kit you cannot return the kit.

I have no clue why but the first kit I got was missing a 3 or 4 pieces, Summit took it back no questions asked and gave me a new one.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I ordered some Taylor wires for my '04 Silverado once. Othen than that I use JEGS...but I didn't have any issues when I did order from them.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Only issue I've had with any company was when I returned something to LMC. It took a couple of months to get my money back.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Summit - Very fast deliver, however had a part mislabeled on their site and had to return. Site navigation is simple to understand once you get used to it, and i like being able to select the specific vehicle and even deeper specifics as you go. They paid return ship. Every other order was perfect and very fast.

Jegs - Complicated site sometimes to navigate, good parts descriptions, equally fast delivery as Summit, maybe a nickel more than Summit for a certain part they both may carry.

Randy's Ring & Pinion - Website is hard to navigate at first. Decent delivery time, competitively priced on some R&P sets, however their customer service is terrible. 15% restocking fee on any item that is returned that isn't in error of them. They ship from mid-west, I live on the east coast. It cost them $12 to send a R&P set to me. Upon finding out I ordered the wrong thing, 15% restocking fee, and their RMA department was in bum-****** Egypt Washington State!!! It cost over $30 to send it back, plusa loss of almost $35 to restock. If I would have delayed another 2 days, it would have been an additional week and the restock fee would have been 20%. The rate goes up 5% every week you have the part. If I would have exchanged the part for the correct part, it would have been the difference of the price, plus the restock fee/return shipping as well as shipping for the new part. The correct part was $60 more but as a matter of principle I refused to do business with them anymore, and would not recommend them to anyone for anything. BUYER BEWARE!

Complete Offroad - An up-and-coming driveline parts company, stocking mainly Yukon Gear and USA Gear sets. Some of their prices are good, others, you can find a better deal elsewhere. Site navigation is fairly simple and straight-forward. Overall middle of the road shipping time, as well as shipping rates. Would recommend, but shop around, too.

Denny's Driveline Service - A good place to find the parts you may not be able to find elsewhere, for a decent price. Website is pretty easy to find your way around on. Ship time and rates are middle of the road as well. As usual always call first to make sure you're getting what you need. Overall I would recommend them but shop around as well.

National Tire & Wheel - Excellent place for offroad tires, wheels, lift parts, accessories and more. Simple site to navigate, but part descriptions are seriously lacking. They are in my home state so naturally order time is fast. Main drawback is I have to pay state sales tax when ordering. Sign up for their email newsletter and get weekend deals that include 10% or more discounts on some parts, and occasionally free shipping on orders over $***. I would definitely recommend this vendor, but shop around, you might find a better deal closer to your house.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
hahahha, oh yeah and post #24 too. I don't even remember telling you that so long ago. WTF Dude !!! You living the past or what??? So that's been almost 2 years ago now, what did you end up doing???

Found that 88 blue 1500 with a good 350 and bum 700r4 trany for $500 bucks. But I will rebuild that 96 vortec build eventually unless those 3 or more rod knocks cracked the block for some reason.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
oh yea I did have a bad experience with summit, forgot about it.....

I ordered one of their alum. radiators for my monte carlo, said it was a 31x19 rad. Said overall, well it had raised fins on top and bottom that stuck up about 3/4 inch, it was over 20 inches tall overall in the middle, hood would not shut, let alone a fan shroud on it, and I had a 4 inch cowl that had extra clearance up front, only option was cut the fins off or cut up the rad support, so I called them, they said send it back, said they'd pay the shipping, well they did not, the person I got on the phone that time said they don't pay shipping back unless it's their fault. Like above mislabeled or something. I tried to tell them it was their fault, saying it was 31x19 when it was alot taller then 19. They shrugged it off and were llke eh sorry. I honestly don't know if they said they were sorry or not.

I was really mad on that one.

Never stopped me from ordering again though, I bought my cowl hood from them, the most expensive thing I ever bought from a company. Well from anywhere besides buying a car or wheels. I paid around $600 or so total shipped, and my cragar ss wheels came from them too, they cost around $500 for everything shipped, lugs, centers, valves everything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising