Popping sound when steering. Picture included.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willis

Reaction score
First Name
Willis
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7L
1987 chevy v20;

I'm having a popping sound every so often when I'm turning my truck.. Mostly when I'm just starting to roll and turn. I've had the ball joints and tie rod ends replaced last month. And my steering box isn't sheering from my frame. It's bolted in just fine and looks good. This however, in my opinion, doesn't look good at all. I don't know the part name, but it's just before the steering box. This picture is taken from underneath the truck. My gut feeling is telling me this is my problem, so since I'm not sure, I'm asking you guys. What do you think?

You must be registered for see images attach

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
rag joint, that could definitely be your noise I would start by replacing it to see if it helps it looks pretty beat up! is it a popping or clunking noise? you might have something else wrong in the column.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
This is going to sound weird, but I rebuilt my entire front suspension because of popping noises...turned out the front core support to fender bolts were juuuust loose enough, that under steering pressure, the fenders would "pop" as they shifted around against the core support. I tightened up all those bolts and my pop went away. It's cheap, free, and easy, so I'd try that and see what you manage.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Rag joint will just make the steering wheel feel EXTREMELY sloppy unless its binding somewhere.

Popping noise is usually a sign that something in the steering area is usually loose. My truck used to pop badly when I would turn but the front ball joints, ujoints and pretty much every tie rod could be twisted 1/4 of a turn.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Another source of popping noises: the front leaf springs. The shims in between rust a bit (especially after rain - I see you're from Seattle) and then when the leaves slide against each other there is some binding and popping. I was all set to start throwing parts at my burb (even stuff the PO had recently replaced) but I took it to a trusted alignment shop and the owner pointed this out to me - even though it meant I wasn't going to give him any business at that time. Wasn't so sure he was correct, but I am pretty sure now since I've noticed the noise correlates more with suspension movement versus steering input. And it goes away when it's warm and dry or I've been driving it for awhile. Sounds like it's pretty easy to correct, too: just get the weight off the front wheels and work some spray lube in between the leaves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87ScottW