Rag joint question (see picture)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m currently in the middle of replacing the steering box. When I was looking at the new steering box and the Dorman rag joint 31011, I noticed that the rag joint doesn’t have splines all the way around- one spot is blank.
You must be registered for see images attach

If that’s the way it’s supposed to be, fine- I just don’t want to go forcing it on there if that’s wrong and mess up the splines on the steering box.Yeah, I know you cool kids are doing the XJ conversion and I will too- just trying to get this done today or tomorrow with locally available parts. Let me know what you think.

Thanks and happy wrenching,
Chad

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for taking the time- I did look through the summit links and the Dorman is listed as well as two others. But the pictures aren’t great, and it doesn’t answer what I’m looking for. The 31011 is listed as my application but it is for a range of applications it seems.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
The Lares photos show NO FLAT SPOT?

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The Lares photos show NO FLAT SPOT?
Ok, let me rephrase- my Dorman 31011 is completely round, with part of the circumference not having splines.

The replacement gearbox has splines all the way around except for the flat spot.

The manual says nothing about the interface- so does the part of the circumference where there are no splines on the rag joint go on the flat spot on the steering box?

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There should be a flat spot on the input shaft of the steering box. That's where flat spot goes.
Yeah, I hear ya- but there is no flat spot on the Dorman rag joint, just a part of the circumference where there are no splines. Does that part of the rag joint with no splines go on the flat spot of the input shaft?

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There should be a flat spot on the input shaft of the steering box. That's where flat spot goes.
I’m just double checking. In a lot of applications, the flat spot of an input shaft is where the pinch bolt comes across and is clearance for that.

RaisedK5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I’m just double checking. In a lot of applications, the flat spot of an input shaft is where the pinch bolt comes across and is clearance for that.
Yes. The missing splines go where the flat spot is. The pinchbolt passes at the groove that is around the input shaft. Remove pinch bolt completely and replace when the rag joint is on the shaft and the hole is lined up with the groove.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes. The missing splines go where the flat spot is. The pinchbolt passes at the groove that is around the input shaft. Remove pinch bolt completely and replace when the rag joint is on the shaft and the hole is lined up with the groove.
Thanks! My ‘81 manual didn’t explain that- unless they put it in a different section. Case closed!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag