Seatbelt question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Quick question. It was freezing outside today so I didn't spend much time but I did pull the seat and plastic mat out of my 86 K 10. I got new carpet that I am going to install. Tomorrow I am going to pull it into my pole barn and fire up the wood stove and get everything warm. One thing I noticed today was the two middle seatbelts have a plastic cover partially covering the bolt. I watched a bunch of you tube videos and nobody (that I saw) actually shows the removal of the seatbelts, they all just are magically out and the video says "I removed my seatbelt". The only video I saw showing the removal of the bolts the guy said he didn't know how to remove the cover so he took a blade to it and cut the plastic off around the bolt head. Is there a proper way to get to the bold heads? Also anyone know for sure what size the bold head should be on the retractor units? The cheap kit I had with me has 12 point sockets and I thought it was 13/16'th but it slipped. Could be the bad sockets...

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I ended up having to trim the plastic in order to get a socket in there. That was not a problem since the won't be seen. I soaked all the bolts from inside and below over night and used some heat and 2 of the 4 seatbelt bolts broke. So I spent the afternoon drilling and re tapping a couple holes. Easy out wasn't doing any good at all.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Quick question. It was freezing outside today so I didn't spend much time but I did pull the seat and plastic mat out of my 86 K 10. I got new carpet that I am going to install. Tomorrow I am going to pull it into my pole barn and fire up the wood stove and get everything warm. One thing I noticed today was the two middle seatbelts have a plastic cover partially covering the bolt. I watched a bunch of you tube videos and nobody (that I saw) actually shows the removal of the seatbelts, they all just are magically out and the video says "I removed my seatbelt". The only video I saw showing the removal of the bolts the guy said he didn't know how to remove the cover so he took a blade to it and cut the plastic off around the bolt head. Is there a proper way to get to the bold heads? Also anyone know for sure what size the bold head should be on the retractor units? The cheap kit I had with me has 12 point sockets and I thought it was 13/16'th but it slipped. Could be the bad sockets...
I have always hated 12 point sockets. They always seem to slip off the bolt or nut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1