Plate on Intake Manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79ramp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I have a potentially stupid question (most of my questions usually are) on my '79 454. What is this plate on the intake manifold? Mine is set-up with two holes that are attached to a tube that loops within the passenger side head. Long story short, I went to remove it yesterday so I could pull the intake easier and the bolts immediately snapped off when I so much as breathed on them.

What I am wondering is this: Can I just leave it open or do I need to try to remove the bolts and re-install the cover? This motor is going into a truck that already donated a motor to my ramp truck. I am doing a head gasket job since there was water in the oil (and a gasket set was cheap). I don't want to get too far into replacing parts if I can avoid it since I am just going to turn around and sell the rig.

You must be registered for see images attach

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
IIRC, it had several uses over the SBC history. It part of the cross over on the exhaust from head to head. Not really necessary, but it was used for a choke, EGR hook up, and a couple others that I can think of. Some manifolds don't even have a cover. I would either drill out the bolt and block it off or find a manifold that does have one.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
That's a block-off plate for the choke stove.