454 intake manifold gaskets not sealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
After suspecting that my oil consumption + low vacuum issue was the result of bad intake manifold gaskets, I was able to confirm that that was the case (see pics). Basically I had a leak under the manifold that was simultaneously sucking oil into the intake ports and not letting me get past 15-16 in of vacuum (stock motor). It looks like it just wasn’t sealed on both sides at the bottom so I’m weary about just putting new gaskets in since something is telling me that both bottom areas not sealing is a sign of a bigger issue, i.e. the manifold not lining up with the intake surface of the heads. Is there any way to verify that a new gasket will seal?

Attachments

• IMG_1715.jpeg
    IMG_1715.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1716.jpeg
    IMG_1716.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1717.jpeg
    IMG_1717.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1718.jpeg
    IMG_1718.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1719.jpeg
    IMG_1719.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 92

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Enough of a difference to cause this much leakage?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
How and when did this problem start. I ask because if the heads have been milled very much you need to remove material from the intake side of the head also to get the manifold to sit right. Yes you can modify the manifold but then those heads and manifold are a matched set. If you mod the heads any standard manifold will bolt on.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Specifically where are you seeing evidence of leaks? You didn’t post pics of all of the ports but the blue sealing rings look to be intact and I don’t see any oil trails running across them.

The intake pic is at such an angle I can’t really see the gasket imprint on it.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Hard to tell from the pictures. Are they the 454 peanut port heads and the manifold is for the large oval ports?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Make sure the gaskets are correct for the heads. Agree gaskets don't appear compromised. Lay the intake back on it. Check the china wall, there should be some gap. If not the heads have been milled too many times. Intake will need to be machined to match.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Another thing to check,bolt the manifold to one head only,now look at the gap on the other head,are the manifold and cylinder intake flange parallel top to bottom,is the gap greater than the thickness of 2 compressed intake gaskets? Making sure the heads haven't been angle milled.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The last pic is the intake but they’re still awful.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Sorry for the dogshit pics. But the lower part of both gaskets is wet with oil. Oil is also fresh because I’ve been having to constantly refill as I drive. I checked all 4 surfaces for flatness and they’re true as far as I can tell. Also no machining on heads that I’m aware of

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You have to clean the intake and heads cleaner than a new babys' butt first. Anything less and the door is wide open for problems.
Take the old gaskets in to the store and make certain they match what you have. Use Fel-Pro and don't forget a hi-temp RTV for the china wall.
If I remember correctly the torque is 25 ft-lbs in a particular sequence. Look it up and follow it.

hogdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
You have to clean the intake and heads cleaner than a new babys' butt first. Anything less and the door is wide open for problems.
Take the old gaskets in to the store and make certain they match what you have. Use Fel-Pro and don't forget a hi-temp RTV for the china wall.
If I remember correctly the torque is 25 ft-lbs in a particular sequence. Look it up and follow it.
I like to chase all thread holes too and put thread sealant on cleaned bolts.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
If you checked them for flatness and it's true than the manifold is bowed. Tell me about the manifold..is is it iron or aluminum?
You will have to use tempera paint or something...I bet it's bent. Checking one side for trueness and then the other will NOT tell you it's bent.

"how do you bend an intake manifold?"

Bolts too tight, overheating, improper tightening sequence..all of the above or a combination?
Do you assert it's not possible?
Might wanna figure out a way to determine that.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Are you sure you are using the correct length intake bolts just a little but too long and the boltsvwill get tight,but not compress the gaskets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad