Intake Manifold Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
@gmbellew
Think I Got it, Changed the Tan/Black by pass Connection
and secured the tach wire that may have been grounding out?
Cleared codes 16 mile test drive no service engine light
Thanks for all your wisdom

glad to help. I've tried to learn a lot about the TBI system because there isn't a ton of info out there. folks are either all in on carbs or have LS swapped if they wanted fuel injection. TBI is in the middle with a simple ECM but you still need some old school diagnostics like timing light, vacuum gauge, etc. but it is pretty simple to understand, pretty reliable, and easy enough to fix most things with basic tools. The hardest issues I've had to tackle have been stuff like rubbed through wires and bad connections like you just had. That stuff will drive you crazy until you find it. But when you do it seems so obvious. Just come back and share the knowledge. the rest is easy if you have ALDLDroid and a blue tooth ALDL to help see what the ECM sees and use the GM manuals i downloaded from this site.

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
I downloaded, learn learn learn. I keep reading obsessively to understand. I love the idea of this TBI for my daughter, and in general really. Since out truck was running good when we put into the garage, I'm a little terrified. But want this long term for her, she ❤️ her truck! You guys saving square bodies! And the owners...

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Dude I have a good idea!

*pro tip*

I believe this simple trick can and  will make your squarebody experience much more enjoyable PLUS! the quality of your life WILL. IMPROVE !

Some of the best part? It is both cheap and easy. I wish I would have thought about it sooner.

First you'll need some scissors or a blade....then procure yourself a roll of electrical tape. The standard, black , general purpose stuff is preferred. Last I checked it was about $0.19 cents a roll but that was under Trump. No tellin what it costs now.:(
Can you swing it? Got nineteen more cents?

Next-
Take your scissors and cut about a inch and a half of tape off the roll. Make certain you cut it nice and straight.
Then-
Sit behind the steering wheel in the driver's seat...and put the piece of tape you cut over the check engine light.

Voila!

Fixed.

Watch your stress melt away and carry on as usual.

Hope this helps! :)
I simply waited for the bulb to burn itself out.
No more pesky ABS light for me on the '95 Sub....

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So Far still no codes The Beast Rides Again

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Oh ****! Seems i have a oil leak in the back left side, Possibly RTV sliped off when installing Manifold? Dam fuel lines in the way will have to do it over again this time should be easer and faster!
What to do with those pesky fuel lines

Will check if oil is comming from someplace else

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Did you have an oil leak when you started this adventure? Leaks from oil pressure sender,and distributor base are common.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes I had leaks Checked Dist base and oil pressure sender found leak with a Bora Scope
Still Have Leaks Oil Pan or Rear Main

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I downloaded, learn learn learn. I keep reading obsessively to understand. I love the idea of this TBI for my daughter, and in general really. Since out truck was running good when we put into the garage, I'm a little terrified. But want this long term for her, she ❤️ her truck! You guys saving square bodies! And the owners...
Sgt gus I've seen you in a couple of different threads,one was about a 396 with a cam. TBI does not play well with very much cam,it's a manifold pressure controlled system not an air flow controlled system.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Not my 396, I have a 350 all stock

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@Rusty Nail Checked it seems like the RTV failed in the back Looking into it oil coming down both sides
Should just pull it off and clean the RTV use black RTV and put it back using same gaskets?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Black or grey rtv. I had a similar issue a while back. Built it up on the back china wall, let it sit a few minutes, and was very careful to set the intake down without disturbing the rtv much. Started the bolts but didn't torque them until the trv set up a few more minutes. And of course made sure all surfaces were clean enough to eat off of to ensure the rtv stuck to the mating surfaces.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo Grey FelPro RTV going to use black next time and get the fuel lines out of the way somehow

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Ultra black. There is a difference in the compositions. The ultra came out shortly after GM went to GMS, their gasket less assembly product, the ultra line was supposed to be the aftermarket equivalent and I am a firm believer that it is a way better product than regular red,black,blue..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1