Pillar mounted spotlight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Ok this might be happening the near future. I’ve found several on eBay for around the $50 mark. I just have to get over the drilling thing.
You’re brave. I could never do it.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The space aliens are messing with me again, can't get two pix in the post with my text and it keeps putting the same pic up when I want two different ones.
Here's a pic of the knob/handle thingy hitting the dash.

You must be registered for see images attach

Unity is the most popular spotlight brand. The shaft length that is installed in your truck is too short. The Unity part for the square bodies is 14.5" center to center from the lamp pivot to the handle pivot.

The mounting bracket kit is #27. The number 27 is cast into the underside of the bracket. When installed at the correct height on the pillar, the spot light shaft should be level. It looks like you may also have the wrong bracket. This could cause the the drill angle to be wrong.

Unity has 19 different standard shaft lengths plus a few vehicles that require a custom shaft. There are over a hundred different bracket kits.

Ok this might be happening the near future. I’ve found several on eBay for around the $50 mark. I just have to get over the drilling thing.

Please make sure what you buy will work on your square. You can buy the correct bracket kit and that will have the mounting template and the correct small parts. You will not get a drill guide (bushing) with a used light.

Working on a utility fleet my whole life I have installed many Unity spotlights. Like others have stated, take your time drilling the holes.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had them on my '89 K5. I liked them a lot and they were very useful on trails where you wanted to see to the side or in heavy rain snow where you could aim them low. I don't remember the drilling being a big deal and I don't own any 12" bits so it must not have been very difficult. Mine were the later black plastic ones with the rubber handles. I believe they came out of a Caprice.

Tech tip #1 Wire the passenger one with a second wire so it can be turned on with a toggle from the drivers seat so you don't have to lean over.

#2 Instead of sheet metal screws; use riv nuts or inserts so you can tighten them and sandwich the sheet metal.

#3... Most important! Do not let your kids climb in and turn them round and round as they will never work the same again!!!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
... Most important! Do not let your kids climb in and turn them round and round as they will never work the same again!!!

This should be printed on a sticker that is packaged with the light. The truck drivers (linemen) are as bad as the kids.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84