PCV routing check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I can't believe you guys are actually talking about those old timey fiber filters?! Coming from the PCV valve, through the short curved hose, attaches to one of those antique fibrous filters inside the lower air cleaner housing with the metal clip thing that holds it up against the housing side!!

Come on guys! I can see keeping you all's trucks stock, but c'mon man! Gee ****. I was using those things way the heck back when I had my '64 Dodge dart in 1970! Take that thing and throw it in the trash! All that does is turn your air cleaner into a "oil bath type air cleaner". Me and maybe a couple of other guys on this site remember those things. I do. I had a vehicle that had a oil bath air cleaner on it, a '54 International Harvester long bed pickup! The only reason why I even knew what it was when I got that truck, was because I used to help my Uncle clean and change his out in his '53 Plymouth he had when he was in high school when I was a little kid, in the '50's! That's what you've got with that PVC filter!

I remember whenit came time to change the air cleaner there would be oil pooled all along the curved lower portion of the lower housing that had dripped out from that useless filter. Now you do have a oil bath filter because I look at the air cleaner and it would be soaked all along one side of the filter material. Thinking about how much oil must have entered the carb I'm bordering on having a diesel engine than a gasoline internal combustion engine!

So, get with the times guys, and think no wonder why you can't find those PCV filters is because NO ONE uses them anymore because they are relics of a bygone era! Get one of what I showed you, it'll even work on a TBI injection system. And another thing, you want a antique filter on a modern fuel injection system? C'MON!

i think this is an oil bath its a 2 ton truck lol

also, isnt the pcv filter simply a way to make the vapors being pushed from the crankcase dont just literally fill the oil filter with oil? Because its crankcase vapors. they are eventually gonna saturate, and being you dont want to make a vacuum leak for them(cant control that), you have them enter the top of the carb and just interupt the larger droplets so you don just straight up gum the system. if people replaced that filter and the air filter when needed more properly, that would prob not be so bad. plus, back then blow by and tolerances arent like today and the shift to those newer technologies is the shift from "okay, we fixed the problem, now lets refine it" but somehow we moved from that to going backwards with every damn car now has a complex PCV system with proprietary parts and they take a lot of work to change and they are not exactly cheap.

You must be registered for see images attach

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I can't believe you guys are actually talking about those old timey fiber filters?! Coming from the PCV valve, through the short curved hose, attaches to one of those antique fibrous filters inside the lower air cleaner housing with the metal clip thing that holds it up against the housing side!!

Come on guys! I can see keeping you all's trucks stock, but c'mon man! Gee ****. I was using those things way the heck back when I had my '64 Dodge dart in 1970! Take that thing and throw it in the trash! All that does is turn your air cleaner into a "oil bath type air cleaner". Me and maybe a couple of other guys on this site remember those things. I do. I had a vehicle that had a oil bath air cleaner on it, a '54 International Harvester long bed pickup! The only reason why I even knew what it was when I got that truck, was because I used to help my Uncle clean and change his out in his '53 Plymouth he had when he was in high school when I was a little kid, in the '50's! That's what you've got with that PVC filter!

I remember whenit came time to change the air cleaner there would be oil pooled all along the curved lower portion of the lower housing that had dripped out from that useless filter. Now you do have a oil bath filter because I look at the air cleaner and it would be soaked all along one side of the filter material. Thinking about how much oil must have entered the carb I'm bordering on having a diesel engine than a gasoline internal combustion engine!

So, get with the times guys, and think no wonder why you can't find those PCV filters is because NO ONE uses them anymore because they are relics of a bygone era! Get one of what I showed you, it'll even work on a TBI injection system. And another thing, you want a antique filter on a modern fuel injection system? C'MON!
Hardly no one would change those little filters either,but if changed at proper intervals they were ok.Gm used them thru the seventies and I thought it was a goofy way to filter it.Valve cover filters is what I changed mine to.I remember old oilbath filters too.Now THAT was old and inferior technology.But a lot of cars back then didnt even use an oil filter either.Purolator actually invented the oil filter from what I can remember.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

Yeah, if that old flat head was what @Coal creek Chris had in his '89 truck I'd say yeah, go ahead and use it since the system isn't anywhere near "modern". But his is a modern system that's why I suggested he get rid of the PVC filter and go to a Air/Oil Separator system. That way he, and anyone on this site can stop oil from going back into the engine to be burned. Occasionally you unscrew that bottom portion of what my pis shows and you could literally pour it right back into the engine since that's all it is, is oil after all.

This whole change in ideas came with me when in late 2019 I had a water leak at the edge of my intake manifold. when I removed the manifold to clean it up in general I was shocked at how oily the intake was from all the oil that had got into the intake runners from the PVC venting through the carb base. I got it cleaned up but right away went on line to see what I could get. I had seen these separators before in photos of race engines and it never dawned on me that those separators will work in a stock to mild performance engine like mine. I would benefit from having clean air going back into the engine that is purly pressurized air coming from the crankcase.

@Octane, I have used those filter cap things you plug into the top of the valve cover, like where you put the oil. They had some kind of fiber filter inside of them and some had little to nothing inside to absorb some of the oil. Then when it got saturated oil would drip down the valve cover, ha, ha, ha. Man, I've always said, "Oil should be inside the engine and not on the outside of the engine!" Stop the oil from going back in the motor by capturing it before it has a chance to turn our motors into diesels! Ha, ha, ha! And man, when you take the heads off the tops of the pistons look like old oil just burned on top of them, all crusty looking. It's not all coming from the PCV, but some of it.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

Yeah, if that old flat head was what @Coal creek Chris had in his '89 truck I'd say yeah, go ahead and use it since the system isn't anywhere near "modern". But his is a modern system that's why I suggested he get rid of the PVC filter and go to a Air/Oil Separator system. That way he, and anyone on this site can stop oil from going back into the engine to be burned. Occasionally you unscrew that bottom portion of what my pis shows and you could literally pour it right back into the engine since that's all it is, is oil after all.

This whole change in ideas came with me when in late 2019 I had a water leak at the edge of my intake manifold. when I removed the manifold to clean it up in general I was shocked at how oily the intake was from all the oil that had got into the intake runners from the PVC venting through the carb base. I got it cleaned up but right away went on line to see what I could get. I had seen these separators before in photos of race engines and it never dawned on me that those separators will work in a stock to mild performance engine like mine. I would benefit from having clean air going back into the engine that is purely pressurized air coming from the crankcase.

@Octane, I have used those filter cap things you plug into the top of the valve cover, like where you put the oil. They had some kind of fiber filter inside of them and some had little to nothing inside to absorb some of the oil. Then when it got saturated oil would drip down the valve cover, ha, ha, ha. Man, I've always said, "Oil should be inside the engine and not on the outside of the engine!" Stop the oil from going back in the motor by capturing it before it has a chance to turn our motors into diesels! Ha, ha, ha! And man, when you take the heads off the tops of the pistons look like old oil just burned on top of them, all crusty looking. It's not all coming from the PCV, but some of it.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sorry for double click.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

Does that old thing still run? I'd love to take that motor and put it in a square. Chrome it out and put a couple of Holley two bbls. on it! Wouldn't that be cool?

There is so much new stuff for flat heads these days it's not even funny!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

Does that old thing still run? I'd love to take that motor and put it in a square. Chrome it out and put a couple of Holley two bbls. on it! Wouldn't that be cool?

A friend of mine bought a flatty and rebuilt it just for fun, he put 2 strombergs on it. It was way cool! He ended up sellin it for $3500

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

This whole change in ideas came with me when in late 2019 I had a water leak at the edge of my intake manifold. when I removed the manifold to clean it up in general I was shocked at how oily the intake was from all the oil that had got into the intake runners from the PVC venting through the carb base. I got it cleaned up but right away went on line to see what I could get. I had seen these separators before in photos of race engines and it never dawned on me that those separators will work in a stock to mild performance engine like mine. I would benefit from having clean air going back into the engine that is purely pressurized air coming from the crankcase.

Carbon buildup is why you use trans fluid down the carb for a piston cleanup!

Coal creek Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
7.4L
Hey all, thanks for the posts. Sorry I disappeared for a while. So here is what I ended up doing. Keep in mind this was a "farm truck" before I bought it, so all sorts of strange half-baked repairs have been done. I now have the PCV valve in the passenger side valve cover and I made up a breather hose that goes from the driver side valve cover to the metal curved tube that comes out the bottom of the air cleaner housing. So it seems like I'm getting filtered air on the driver side and the PCV valve is routed to the port on the TBI per the emissions sticker (which I still have believe it or not). My air cleaner housing only has one hole on the side, so I can't route the breather to one of those outdated filter things that mount on the inside side of the air cleaner housing. There is one hole on the passenger side of the air cleaner housing, but that is for one of the hoses from the AIR pump (which I also still have installed). I'll see what happens to the air filter and maybe it will get all sorts of oily.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hey all, thanks for the posts. Sorry I disappeared for a while. So here is what I ended up doing. Keep in mind this was a "farm truck" before I bought it, so all sorts of strange half-baked repairs have been done. I now have the PCV valve in the passenger side valve cover and I made up a breather hose that goes from the driver side valve cover to the metal curved tube that comes out the bottom of the air cleaner housing. So it seems like I'm getting filtered air on the driver side and the PCV valve is routed to the port on the TBI per the emissions sticker (which I still have believe it or not). My air cleaner housing only has one hole on the side, so I can't route the breather to one of those outdated filter things that mount on the inside side of the air cleaner housing. There is one hole on the passenger side of the air cleaner housing, but that is for one of the hoses from the AIR pump (which I also still have installed). I'll see what happens to the air filter and maybe it will get all sorts of oily.
the metal tube that comes out of the air cleaner is likely the PCV tube. If its on the driver side, its meant to go there. The tube is molded plastic or metal, and goes about 90% of the wya to the valve cover and then has a grommet or rubber piece which usually connects on the air cleaner side, and it usually is meant to push into a grommet on cover, but they do vary. if you have tbi, I was aksing if you had a single stud for your air cleaner or two, i was going to say maybe you had the incorrect cleaner assmebly or suggest finding a different kind to fit your needs. but if you have a source fo filtered air for the valve cover, and a pcv in the opposite side of the other valve cover, you should be okay.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@AuroraGirl,

i think it last ran when my mom wasnt very old. so 1970s, early probably. also what the hell would you put on it for a transmission LOL

Coal creek Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
7.4L
the metal tube that comes out of the air cleaner is likely the PCV tube. If its on the driver side, its meant to go there. The tube is molded plastic or metal, and goes about 90% of the wya to the valve cover and then has a grommet or rubber piece which usually connects on the air cleaner side, and it usually is meant to push into a grommet on cover, but they do vary. if you have tbi, I was aksing if you had a single stud for your air cleaner or two, i was going to say maybe you had the incorrect cleaner assmebly or suggest finding a different kind to fit your needs. but if you have a source fo filtered air for the valve cover, and a pcv in the opposite side of the other valve cover, you should be okay.
Good point on the air cleaner assembly. I have the TBI with a single stud-type air cleaner. But that is just what it came with when I bought it and who knows if somebody before me changed it to something else.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Good point on the air cleaner assembly. I have the TBI with a single stud-type air cleaner. But that is just what it came with when I bought it and who knows if somebody before me changed it to something else.
The veci is on the cleaner right? If it matches best it can it’s prob the original

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ