PCM Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.3/NV4500/NP205/4:56 gear/35in tires
I am about to get started on an LS swap into my 77K10. I have acquired a 5.3 from a 2003 suburban and plan on having it rebuilt with a mild cam. Can anyone suggest reputable programmer who can not only flash the PCM but make the necessary adjustments for a cam change?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I found these guys in NY. I looked for reviews, but I didn't find any. I did, however, see their guarantee, which is pretty damn good. I would check them out and see what you think. Cool to see another member from relatively close. We don't have many. I've been to Lake Village several times to buy lottery tickets during the summer when I'm not in Louisiana, and I've been to Murfreesboro for the diamonds and a lot of little in between towns.

http://www.pcmperformance.com/programming.html

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
From my understanding they'll do a basic tune (vehicle weight/gearing ratio) along with disabling stuff that isn't needed. I haven't read anything about tuning for cams, but then again I'm sticking with stock. Enlighten me if that's the case as it's good info. Also, from what I've read all over, the best tune is going to happen on a dyno not just driving down the road with a laptop.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't like giving out incorrect info and the dyno was my plan if/when funds are available to do it with mine.

Madhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the feed back. I have looked at PCMperformance and several others including Black Bear. Yes I agree that a dyno run is going to give the best results, but in the overall scheme of things, this is going to be daily driver and few extra HP is not worth the expense of a dyno run. Just want it run right. FYI the engine goes to the builder next month, and the truck goes in my shop for tear down about the same.

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
check out this guy http://www.lt1swap.com/ He has a lot of info on ls swap's . when I did my 5.3 into my 74 I used his pin out and it was spot on . he dose do mail order tune and vat delete (you send him your pcm ) .

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
There is also someone on here that does it. Can't remember who though. Dyno tuning will help with hp, shift points, and mpg. Even after your initial tune, you'll need to get it tuned on the road or a dyno. I think an avg. price for a road tune is going to be ~$100.

If it was going to be $500 for a good dyno tune, I was going to wait to see whats left in the budget when it was done.

Anyway I found a shop locally that will tune mine for $50, and dyno tune for another $200. Gonna give them a shot. Was really impressed with their knowledge, what they were working on, and the folks coming in for work.

Start calling around and see whats local to you. I'm in the sticks and keep learning of peeps that tune all the time. Ask about any racing shops around. You'd be surprised.

Madhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the info. After further inspection of my engine and a quick one sided budget meeting with my finance department. The full rebuild has been scaled back to rebuilding the heads, installing a new oil pump, timing chain and lifters. So all I will need is to have is a basic flash and tune of the computer. I will send it to LT1swap (Brandon) when the time comes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512