Passing CA Smog help - High HCs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Does something like this help?
You must be registered for see images attach

Did this on the fly. I used to be a state certified emissions tech in Colorado in the 80's (amongst other disciplines). Alignment is my favorite sub sector of transportation repair.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
Engine Size
After this latest round of bull$#it is wrapped up, I can try scanning this for a better view if there is interest.

On edit - yeah, give me a little bit and I'll scan the pages so it's way easier to figure it out

Last edited:

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8

Did this on the fly. I used to be a state certified emissions tech in Colorado in the 80's (amongst other disciplines). Alignment is my favorite sub sector of transportation repair.

Hah thanks. Will post some additional info below shortly that kind of changes things. But your document does connect to it.

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
As stated in Radioheads doc there is no EGR system. The truck, GM 350 v8 with GVWR 6001-8500, is heavy duty and a lot of emission controls were not included for that sub model. I started replacing the Quadrajet with an edelbrock 1400. There was a smog referee that did some adjustments to the vacuum lines that is complicates the swap out. I need some help with that but I think that topic is best suited in a new thread. I’ll post the link to the new thread here later for those interested in following.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
Engine Size
As stated in Radioheads doc there is no EGR system. The truck, GM 350 v8 with GVWR 6001-8500, is heavy duty and a lot of emission controls were not included for that sub model. I started replacing the Quadrajet with an edelbrock 1400. There was a smog referee that did some adjustments to the vacuum lines that is complicates the swap out. I need some help with that but I think that topic is best suited in a new thread. I’ll post the link to the new thread here later for those interested in following.
Yup, in '77 you get egr in the heavy category only if you're a CA 454. It pretty much starts going to hell in '78 and by '79, the only ones getting a break is 8501 # and up

Last edited:

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
Engine Size

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
Engine Size
Damn, forgot the nomenclature. Sorry

In case you can't blow that up like on a phone...

Don't let the distinction between oxidizing catalyst and three way catalyst mess you up. OC is the precursor to TWC.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Does California do under hood inspections? They did them here. Vehicles would fail for simple items like a missing air cleaner hot air tube. They would not even test the vehicle if anything was missing, altered or if they could prove it inoperable. 2WD FWD were dyno tested, 4x4's stationary.

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
Does California do under hood inspections? They did them here. Vehicles would fail for simple items like a missing air cleaner hot air tube. They would not even test the vehicle if anything was missing, altered or if they could prove it inoperable. 2WD FWD were dyno tested, 4x4's stationary.
Here’s a list of what they were looking for in the visual inspection.

Attachments

• IMG_7721.png
    IMG_7721.png
    877.8 KB · Views: 23

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yes we still have the visual equipment inspection in CA, the late model stuff they go as far as running the model/serial number on the cats to ensure they are correct to the vehicle.

The fed compliant Cats even from name brand companies like Magnaflow are about 1/4 the cost of CARB compliant too. I was looking into doing all of the smog stuff for my swap and the cats and ECM requirements killed it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Sure do

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Here’s a list of what they were looking for in the visual inspection.
Wow, those HC's are way too high! I need to dig out mine from the last test to see where it was on the failed test and where it was after the retest that passed. I replaced the carburetor to get it to pass last year.

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
Wow, those HC's are way too high! I need to dig out mine from the last test to see where it was on the failed test and where it was after the retest that passed. I replaced the carburetor to get it to pass last year.
Yeah I swapped out the Qjet for eddy 1400 (working on figuring vacuum lines), replaced pcv valve, plugs and wires changed, replaced the air filter. Next is oil change and fuel additive.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah I swapped out the Qjet for eddy 1400 (working on figuring vacuum lines), replaced pcv valve, plugs and wires changed, replaced the air filter. Next is oil change and fuel additive.
I hope it all works out for you, from what I've heard it can be a pain to get the half tons to pass. Luckily yours is the heavy half and didn't come with some of the bs that makes it nearly impossible nowadays for them to pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod