Passenger side popping sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dadof2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1991 , 1981
Truck Model
R1500 Chevy Sub, C20
Engine Size
350 in both trucks
Yesterday our 1991 R1500 Suburban developed a nice intermittent popping sound on the passenger side.

Just doing a little research seems to indicate that it probably is a ball joint. Have y'all found this to be true?

Have you found other components make a popping sound when they are failing?

If it is a ball joint are there any specific tricks y'all have found helpful to get them out and the new one back in?

I'll also be checking youtube here shortly for more info.

TIA

Rule_So_Hard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Pickle fork is really nice for popping the threaded end through. And usually a socket and a hammer to drive them out.

Dadof2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1991 , 1981
Truck Model
R1500 Chevy Sub, C20
Engine Size
350 in both trucks
Thanks, pickle fork is one thing I don't have. Guess I'll be adding that to the inventory.
With 260K miles on it, I doubt the ball joints will want to come out very easily.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It depends if it is the upper or lower joints. I just replaced one of my uppers. The pass side was making the popping sound and when I jacked the wheel up to investigate I could feel the play and saw the top joint slopping around. IMO they are easier to replace than the lowers. I believe the lowers are pressed in.

The uppers are secured to the A-arm by 4 rivets. You need to grind the heads off them and punch them out. You also got to clean all the road dirt and grime off the castle nut and locate and remove the cotter pin which is also a pain in the ass. The new one comes with bolts/nuts/washers/cotter pin to re-install. To pop the tapered stud out of the top of the knuckle I use a BFH and smack the top of the knuckle horizontally until it pops out.

I might do w write up and post it up here when I do the other side but I am sure there are tons of videos on YT.

I bought these ones from Rock Auto:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1281735&cc=1301410

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Also, check the torsion bar, cross members mounting pad.
I have found those things to make more of a sound like something is being beat though.
Definitely feel that one through the whole floor boards.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Also, check the torsion bar, cross members mounting pad.
I have found those things to make more of a sound like something is being beat though.
Definitely feel that one through the whole floor boards.

Torsion Bar? You drinking again? :Insane::cheers:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Torsion Bar? You drinking again? :Insane::cheers:

:favorites13: UUUHHHHhhhhh, nope, not yet. :favorites13: only in duh forums. :favorites13::happy175:

:doh2::banghead: I forgut, early 90s burbs is`nt IFS. :banghead: :rofl::happy175 ::happy175: :happy175:

I been doing too much to My 93 and have not had time to do whut things I want to get done on the 79K20, like, installing a Jeepunschlager steering shaftenheimer. :happy175: :happy175: :happy175:

Last edited:

Dadof2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1991 , 1981
Truck Model
R1500 Chevy Sub, C20
Engine Size
350 in both trucks
For the update:
If I checked the ball joints correctly (jacked truck up and used pry bar under tire to check for movement) there was no obvious or exaggerated movement in them.
Moving tire from side to side had some wiggle to it. I put new bearings and rotors on it when I bought it last Spring. I popped the hub cover off, pulled the cotter pin and tightened the spindle bolt down a bit more. I also lubed all of the zirk fittings I could see.

No knocking today after all of that, so who knows. I know some things need to be replaced on the suspension and I hope to get that done in the near future.

One question though....is it ok to replace the components on one side and then do the other side a couple of weeks later? Or is this one of those things were you just have to suck it up and do everything at once?

Dadof2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1991 , 1981
Truck Model
R1500 Chevy Sub, C20
Engine Size
350 in both trucks
Another update:
The knocking came back and it brought a friend. When I would turn I would hear / feel a popping on the passenger side. Also, it got to the point I hated to hit a bump because of how rough the ride would be.

So today I put Moog upper and lower ball joints on the passenger side. Upper ball joint still seemed good but the boot was cracked in multiple places. The lower ball joint wobbled around like a broken 1978 Atari joy stick and it felt like there was "grit" in it.

I also replaced the front shocks with Rancho RS 5000's. The old shocks (which I assume might have been factory as they were white with no obvious markings) could have been used for trombone lessons as there was absolutely no resistance at all in them.

The truck seemed to do well on the test drive after all of the work was done. The ride was leaps and bounds better from what it had been.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP