Front axle off set to passenger side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’ll check partgeek prices for ac deal o because I assume I need to get 2 inner and 2 outer, since nothing on oreillys states anything about the race being included.
Try Rock Auto. Great prices on real quality brands or really cheap white box parts what ever you want or can afford.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you go back to the last post by @AuroraGirl and verify that the rings in the last pic are the same as your retaining rings then re-read what she said about using a pic, it may start to make sense to you. You might try posting a pic of your front hub just so we can verify that you have the Warn hubs like she posted. I am fairly certain that you do, that is what came on the half tons in '87, that's what is on my truck. They are a LOT less complicated than the OE Spicer hubs that came on the '77 model.

I just ran (actually waddled) out to get some pics of my picks and my hub so we can help identify what you have and to try to help you better. I strongly recommend you invest in a set of these picks, they are more useful than you can imagine. For that retaining ring they beat the heck out of the little flat bladed screwdriver my Dad used to use on his '77.

You get the end of the ring out using your pick, then a small flat bladed screwdriver between the ring and the outer hub and you have it going your way.

I just checked the Harbor Freight website, the set of picks in the pic (I love typing that!) is $1.99. I don't recall ever getting a tool as useful as this set for $2, not ever.

I do not like that we keep telling you, "Buy this, Buy that" but sadly if you are going to run an older vehicle you have to be willing to invest money in tools and parts and invest your time. Or else have a LOT of money and very, very good mechanic.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
I just used that set of pics tonight rebuilding a carburetor on a 70s 25hp and when I pulled the lower unit to pick out o rings.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I just used that set of pics tonight rebuilding a carburetor on a 70s 25hp and when I pulled the lower unit to pick out o rings.
I have about 5 sets of them not together of course anymore but scattered about always seem to be there to stab me hand accidently or be useful so the tradeoff is acceptable

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I bought a set of picks at Walmart since I don’t have a hobo freight locally. $8 jeez. The truck rode good to work other than same underpass making me feel like I did a wheelie and bounced. But same deal with ride home shook a little when I pulled it out of gear slowing down to turn down my road

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I bought a set of picks at Walmart since I don’t have a hobo freight locally. $8 jeez. The truck rode good to work other than same underpass making me feel like I did a wheelie and bounced. But same deal with ride home shook a little when I pulled it out of gear slowing down to turn down my road
sounds like it may be a brake issue almost

Did you use neutral to slow down or did you downshift? almost wondering if maybe not a flexplate thing, but I dont know. Just hearing it shakes when out of gear its like hmm

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I pretty much 99.8% of the time come to a stop in neutral. It starts vibrating before I touch the brakes but the speed of the vibration increases as I ease on the brakes.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I pretty much 99.8% of the time come to a stop in neutral. It starts vibrating before I touch the brakes but the speed of the vibration increases as I ease on the brakes.
Did you have your tires balanced lately? What kind of tires, how much wear, what psi you running? is your power steering seem too easy or have sqeualing or vibrating pulley? did you clean hubs of rust before mounting wheel

how did you torque the wheels

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Got the wheels/tires used off s guy with an 04 duramax. I never balanced them never had any problems and haven’t had time recently to balance them. My only power steering problem is the belt is slightly loose so it skips sometimes if you aren’t rolling. Hubs were clean. I torqued the wheels with an impact wrench just a few impacts nothing crazy, and then with a breaker bar just checking that they’re tight.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Got the wheels/tires used off s guy with an 04 duramax. I never balanced them never had any problems and haven’t had time recently to balance them. My only power steering problem is the belt is slightly loose so it skips sometimes if you aren’t rolling. Hubs were clean. I torqued the wheels with an impact wrench just a few impacts nothing crazy, and then with a breaker bar just checking that they’re tight.
YOU HAVENT BALANCED THEM?

Oh jay.... jay....

jay

Bring your truck to a shop or bring the wheels to the shop(scribe the wheels to the hubs and mark which corner they came off) and then report back LOL
get a new belt or fix the alignment problem with ps. a slipping belt means your steering goes from assist to manual when it does that and thats going to change feed back big time esp with unbalanced truck tires

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
It’s been the weekend cut me some slack lol. I live in a small town I don’t have shops available 7dats a week. The power steering belt skipping sucks especially when slowing down to turn into a tight driveway and you lose power steering

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Put the floor jack under each front axle corner one at a time. Grab the tire and see if you can make play in any angle direction. Do other one. Have a bud watch for movement between assemblies. If all else, find a competent wrench that knows what side goes where. I keep thinking something has play that shouldn't and it's being missed repeatedly.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Put the floor jack under each front axle corner one at a time. Grab the tire and see if you can make play in any angle direction. Do other one. Have a bud watch for movement between assemblies. If all else, find a competent wrench that knows what side goes where. I keep thinking something has play that shouldn't and it's being missed repeatedly.
I'll add to have someone aggressively rack the steering wheel back and forth (several inches at least) while you work your way through all of the steering parts. I've done it with truck running and not before, sometimes the PS hides stuff and sometimes it really shows where things are wrong.

Tie rod to knuckles, drag link to knuckle steering arm, pitman arm to drag link, PS box to frame, Etc.

There should be almost no movement between any of these parts, they will rotate slightly though. Press a finger where it touches both parts, If you can feel a jump in anything it's no good.

ETA:

This is a jeep video but this is what I'm talking about at about 4:10 on the clip

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It’s been the weekend cut me some slack lol. I live in a small town I don’t have shops available 7dats a week. The power steering belt skipping sucks especially when slowing down to turn into a tight driveway and you lose power steering
So is the belt making chirping noises with the steering being choppy when you slow down? if so that sounds like your vibration issue could be the cutting in and out of hydraulic assist, and the load on your engine is making it go low and then swing up etc

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
The other day I was looking at the drag link because dad said it “moved” when I turned. When I watched it it looked fine to me(it was rotating, no actual movement in the bolted part the actual end rotated) I’m going to try and get the wheels balanced today, I’ll make a mark on each one to determine where it came from/goes to. And see if that helps anything.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
A couple of Redfish thoughts here...

You are probably about 20 years old? Your truck is about 35 years old? When I was 20 years old there was no way I could afford to Do Everything Right on a truck like yours. Honestly, right now I am working on my old truck in stages, there simply isn't enough play money to just dump into it. You appear to live in rural Tennessee so I am guessing that job opportunities are somewhat limited, especially for a very young man like yourself.

We do need to "Cut you some slack" because you are making one helluvaneffort to get this old beast road worthy. I respect what you are doing and I suspect the other folks answering all your questions feel the same way.

If you keep this up you are going to be an Expert on these trucks before you are done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito