Pass Ca. Smog with new Top End?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
That would be great! Even though mine is already easy to test and pass.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That would be great! Even though mine is already easy to test and pass.
Yes, but it opens you up to non carb compliant performance parts.

If this passes, I’m going to snag up as many pre-83 squares as I can before people realize what’s going on to flip, lol!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Yes, but it opens you up to non carb compliant performance parts.

If this passes, I’m going to snag up as many pre-83 squares as I can before people realize what’s going on to flip, lol!

There is a guy around the corner from us that is always fixing up something and then selling it. It was hot rods, now it's old travel trailers. Flipping Squares sounds like a good plan

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Buy a place in Lake Tahoe, register your truck there and voila! It’s smog exempt!

One way around it in CA (zip code exemptions).

Yep. Registered mine in NV with a friend in Vegas.

asltrfl

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500
Engine Size
This is the reason I left that piece of crap, but beautiful State. The Commies have ruined it. Born and raised in So. Cal. Always built my own small blocks since high school. Couldn't get them registered by the 90's, even though the Smog shops said they passed emissions, but the "new visual" rules failed. Hell, I wasn't going to put cat's, egr's, air injection, electronic quadrajets, on my clean street cars.

So the Mexicans at a couple of smog shops in O.C. said they could pass it for a C-note or two. That went on for a few years. Then they said I look like a cop and wouldn't do it anymore. Then I found a couple of Vietnamese smog shops that would do it for $3-$400 to pass my 77 El Camino and my 82 Camero. Then a couple of years later I could only find one shop that would pass it for $600 each, did that for a few years. Then it was over as CA made it a felony for a smog shop to cheat.

That was it. Time to move or sell my rods. About the same time, they were doing the "Assault weapons" b.s. Going to make a felon out of me with the stroke of a pen. I packed up my crap, my Woman, and left with $6,000 in my pocket. Took 3 trips to move to AZ, where only Phoenix and Tucson have smog. I moved to Lake Havasu with no smog checks, could take my built lake boat out every weekend, and be free. Got older, got tired of the heat and the $500 a month Air conditioning bill, and moved to Utah. Still Free to do and own what I want...for now.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dump my used oil in the back yard, and my cars and trucks with no emissions put out less pollutants than most of the idiots with newer cars driving around with seven codes behind their check engine lights.

I would gather ALL the stock components you can find at salvage yards, it's a pain in the rear. But every smog cycle you will have to spend a week putting all the smog crap on, tuning it the best it can do, pass the test, and spend another week taking it all off, and make it run sweet again. After a while you will have it down to few hours on a weekend.

There are tons of CARB compliant stuff you can do, and newer OBD2 cars and trucks have it much easier as you can put a scan tool on it and know if you will pass before you go in. But for older vehicles its a coin toss, and a coin drain in your wallet and labor.

Your going to spend hours doing research, it's all our here somewhere, just got to find it. And may the chains of Tyranny lie gently upon your feet.

K5freak

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Do you know the SB# on that bill?

Edit: never mind, I found it. It’s Assembly Bill 210. It states vehicles manufactured before 1983 would be exempt. It also has a provision for vehicles registered and insured as classic vehicles older than 35 years. So if that gets passed, as of January 1,2020 all vehicles older than 1983 or and vehicles registered as classic vehicles 1985 or older—and would continue to move up annually. @Craig 85 , this could be awesome!

...If it passes. I won’t hold my breath though.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...l?bill_id=201920200AB210&search_keywords=Smog

Well according to that article it says that it has passed and will be enacted as of Jan.1,2020

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Well according to that article it says that it has passed and will be enacted as of Jan.1,2020
The legal language is affirmative, but it hasn’t been heard by the assembly. Right now it’s just proposed.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
It isn't so much the replacement equipment you put on the engine that makes you fail the sniffer test, it is the fact that anal politicians don't want people changing things. a well tuned hot rod will run much cleaner than most of the older stock cars on the road - they allow for a lot dirtier than a new stock engine, but they want to see original parts.

Ivan_Drago

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K3500
Engine Size
I’m at the point now that I just Want to do a full top-end kit from Jeg’s or Summit. And get rid of all the missions garbage. I will keep it to pass a visual, but don’t plan on running any of it. My main concern is passing the sniffer test. To answer the question above, yes mine is originally a K 3500 cab and chassis. It was purchased that way by the department I work for 38 years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84