parts washer help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You can get that identical one from China Freight for $99.99...

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The one from NT doesn't look much different from the one at HF. Regular price for the HF unit is $99 and if you have a 25% super coupon you're out the door at half the cost of NT. I also noticed the HF washer is rated at about 1 gpm more so it might have a better pump. (or they lie) I don't have the HF unit but lots of guys do and have figured out how to make them better. https://www.google.com/search?q=harbor+freight+parts+washer+modifications&ie=&oe=

As far as fluids are concerned, I use mineral spirits. It's cheap and available everywhere. I'm not crazy about the smell but I can usually clean a part in just a few minutes. If the part is really bad I aim the flexi hose at the part, shut the lid, and let it take a solvent shower for a while. A portable fan blowing a cross breeze also really helps with the odor. I tried the "go green" eco-cleaners, they didn't work as well but they do smell nice. Some guys also use kerosene, diesel, or bio-diesel. I only thing I would not recommend is paint thinner. It cleans well but evaporates much faster than the others so you would be constantly adding more to the tank. Ten gallons of whatever you choose should be enough for that washer.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
The price will probably be above what your looking for, but anyway. I've got a medical grade ultrasonic cleaner with tank big enough to hold 2 chevy 350 heads I believe. It's a Crest HAL 20. Complete size is 4'x4'x4' on a roll around stand.

$500, can send more details. I'm sure the plumbing solenoids need rebuilt, but the ultrasonic portion and heating element work fine. I don't have enough power in the garage to run it, and frankly it's in my way for what it's worth.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Wish I had one big enough to hold a block, I can do a couple carbs in mine but that's it, they sure do a job cleaning.

Supersoaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0 ls
The price will probably be above what your looking for, but anyway. I've got a medical grade ultrasonic cleaner with tank big enough to hold 2 chevy 350 heads I believe. It's a Crest HAL 20. Complete size is 4'x4'x4' on a roll around stand.

$500, can send more details. I'm sure the plumbing solenoids need rebuilt, but the ultrasonic portion and heating element work fine. I don't have enough power in the garage to run it, and frankly it's in my way for what it's worth.

Thanks for the offer :) but too much for what I want .

I have never had good luck with HF , but my try it and do some of the upgrades. and use mineral spirits
also thinking of the blast cabinet , it's on sale :)

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Pay attention to what type of solvent the pump is rated for. Some of those cheaper parts washers wont work with mineral spirits or petrolium based solvents.

Supersoaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0 ls
that's the problem i'm seeing HF , NT ones are water base :( thinking of swapping the pump when it go's out

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I used mineral spirits with HF pump no problems.

Supersoaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0 ls
hope to pic one up tomorrow with a blasting cabinet they have on sale :)

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
how many gals did you use ??
Couldn't tell ya really, not that many since you circulate it and it lasts a while if you don't waste it, used it about a year till I went to something bigger.

Supersoaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0 ls
Couldn't tell ya really, not that many since you circulate it and it lasts a while if you don't waste it, used it about a year till I went to something bigger.

sounds good :) from what I see I need to start with about 10 gal
\

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Is there a rating on these? How many gallons/minute? Never thought about it until now, we strip parts off medical equipment going in the garbage all the time....and pumps are one thing we look for. I'd say it's around 1 gal/min if not less.

Find an old deep stainless sink and build your own.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
sounds good :) from what I see I need to start with about 10 gal
\
Why would you need 10 gals??, I use 2 1/2 gals in a 5 gal bucket, actually 2 buckets one inside the other, the crud goes in the bottom one and the pump is in the upper one in clean solvent, I made my own with an old Safety-Kleen type unit on a frame I made and I run the solvent through a filter, works great..