Looking at car lifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I would love to put a 2 post car lift on the side of the house. They have 9,000lb ones for about 2k or so. That would be ideal but, would have to ask the city because I'd hate to buy it and them come by and tell me to get rid of it.

Saw this one at HF for 1,800. It holds 6,000lbs and is movable. Heavy but you can move it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-...-zk_Mb93BHKYUr056wTBK-BbqQ9eGysoaAj9eEALw_wcB

All the reviews are 5 star and people say it's a great lift. Whatcha think?

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Idk man, that looks kinda sketchy to me, I wouldn't put my truck on it. I've never known anyone who had one so I can't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if it really deserved all those good reviews.

I think you should just check with the city and get a real one honestly

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Nationwide 2 Post.. under $2,000
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I would love to put a 2 post car lift on the side of the house. They have 9,000lb ones for about 2k or so. That would be ideal but, would have to ask the city because I'd hate to buy it and them come by and tell me to get rid of it.

Saw this one at HF for 1,800. It holds 6,000lbs and is movable. Heavy but you can move it.

I would never get under that (don't 2 posts come with locks to prevent hydraulic pressure loss? Maybe this one does too :shrug:)

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size

https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lb-capacity-scissor-lift-91315.html?cid=paid_google|*PLA+-+Top+SKUs+-+All+(Main)|Shop+Press|91315&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=*PLA+-+Top+SKUs+-+All+(Main)&utm_content=Shop+Press&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7pKFBhDUARIsAFUoMDZuO1BFP7aEIS0Ekklp1kK-zk_Mb93BHKYUr056wTBK-BbqQ9eGysoaAj9eEALw_wcB

No fricken way my ass would slide under that!!!!! Looks like it could be very unstable to me but JMO!!:smoke2: Select carefully my friend, your life could depend on it!!!!!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
That 2 post **** just scares me.... my buddy has one, (not HF brand), same **** the burb fell off...

I'd feel safer with one that supports the frame alot more than 4 little pucks contacting the frame.

I had a hydraulic ram on a HF engine lift blow out on me...their quality admittedly has went up since then however.

Im watching their game, they're buying out all the big boy brand's customers.

Mac and snap on, and everyone else isnt the same as they once were, they've became greedy in their prices, you're paying for the brand. hf is a bunch hungry mf's looking for business.

I dont exactly trust HF with my life, but if we're talking everyday use tools, sure.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The two posts are fine, but you need to remember that you will likely be into a setup like that(even on the side of the house) for about the same cost for the foundation and concrete work as the cost of the lift itself. You need to have extra reinforcing and anchors placed for a lift like that. It will likely even be MORE expensive to have to add the correct foundation to existing concrete than it would be to pour a purpose built pad.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
that scissor lift looks scary as hell (unstable) and there's no way you can pull a transmission or t case with it. I would go with the 2 post myself Used them for many years with no problems

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My buddy has a 2 post that's very stable.
A few times I've seen his son's big diesel box van up on it.
But, they built their shop with the lift in mind. That bay has a 6" slab, with 4' deep, 24" diameter bellbottomed piers directly under the 2 posts.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah scissor lift = scary, especially coming from the mfg who bought you failing jack stands!
OP, if concerned about mobility, the small 4 post lifts/vehicle stackers are pretty handy, and mobile. Cost wise, can get a decent one for between $1500-2000. Can add a wheel kit to move it around by hand and a jack tray to lift one end of the vehicle. That adds another $500 or so, but makes it portable and you can still pull wheels off of your vehicle.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yeah scissor lift = scary, especially coming from the mfg who bought you failing jack stands!
OP, if concerned about mobility, the small 4 post lifts/vehicle stackers are pretty handy, and mobile. Cost wise, can get a decent one for between $1500-2000. Can add a wheel kit to move it around by hand and a jack tray to lift one end of the vehicle. That adds another $500 or so, but makes it portable and you can still pull wheels off of your vehicle.
I bought a used one just like you describe for $700-800 about 6 months ago. I love it. Sure not the best for doing suspension work and whatnot but other than that I love it. I don't have the wheels on mine because I have nowhere to move it to as it lives in my 2 car garage, but when I build the bigger building I probably will put it on casters

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Having been in the automotive "stealership" world the last 20ish years, all we had were 2 post lifts. the brand was Rotary, which is a high end brand. I'm currently shopping for one to put in my newly constructed building and am about 98% certain that the brand I will purchase will be Atlas. A 9000lb lift is $2500ish

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a Bendpak 10,000lbs 2 post lift in my shop. Love it. You do need to be very careful about what you buy. There are a number of good brands. But there twice as many cheapo ones. Watch the videos Bendpak has on their web site comparing the structural integrity of their lift v the cheap ones.

Frankly it is not the hydraulics that you need to be worried about. The hydraulics will either lift the rated load or they won't - or it will come down to speed of the lift. Once you have the truck in the air you let the cylinders down onto the mechanical safety locks. You never go under a lifted vehicle depending only on the hydraulics holding the load.

What you need to worry about is the structural integrity of the metal parts of the lift, like the arms and posts. You want the peace of mind to know that all of the metal is of the proper spec and thickness, and everything is welded properly.

I have put my Silverado 2500HD 4x4 crew cab diesel up in the air with my Bendpak. It is solid as a rock. But stepping under that truck when its 6 feet in the air will give you pause for a moment as you contemplate whether you bought the high quality lift or the cheapo one, trust me!

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
I own this one: https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-OH-10X-EXTRA-WIDE-EXTRA-TALL

I use the crap out of it. It is stable for 2500 trucks but if you're going to go any bigger then that get a 12k. I even stabilize the 2500s with post jacks if I'm going to be doing heavy work like an engine or trans.
Make no mistake, the Chinese lifts are not the same quality as a Rotary or Challenger, but they don't carry the same price tag either. I'd have gotten a Rotary myself but the Atlas goes up higher, and I'm 6'5", so that made the difference for me.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size

I see these used in the VW world as those are light cars compared to a full size truck.
Still not good for anything under the truck.
The VW's can get around that as they have a flat floor pan and most of the stuff you need to deal with is on the perimeter of the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad