Painting rally wheel rim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C10_Blackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The spare rally rim on my new project truck had a lot of surface rust and a junk tire on it. I pulled off and discarded the old tire and sandblasted the rim. You can see where the rust came off but it looks pretty good and with the trim ring on it when in use, it is going to look just fine.

I have a new set of 5 Michelin LTX tires waiting for me at Costco and plan to do a 5-wheel rotation going forward, so this rim will come into regular use eventually after I do the first tire rotation.

A can of surface prep and a can of silver rally wheel paint should be arriving from LMC truck today. I’m planning to paint the inside and outside surfaces and would naturally overspray the bead a little bit for coverage. Am assuming there is no need to paint the middle of the rim that the tire covers? Didn’t even think of that until this morning. Could there be possible rust issues just because of the moisture in the air inside the tire and I should maybe paint every surface?

I don’t even know what the surface prep actually is but am assuming it is primer. If it turns out to just be a cleaner, do I need to find a can of primer, or would the silver rally wheel paint likely to be fine on its own?

I’ve never done this before. Seems pretty straightforward but will welcome any helpful tips and advice - especially if there is something critical that hasn’t occurred to me.

I see all sorts of videos out there about painting rims, but so far have seen nothing about what to do with a freshly sandblasted steel rim. Thanks.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Me personally, because they were sandblasted, I would use a good sealer primer before painting and cover all surfaces in both primer and paint. You may need more than one can

C10_Blackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Me personally, because they were sandblasted, I would use a good sealer primer before painting and cover all surfaces in both primer and paint. You may need more than one can
That sounds right to me. I hope the one can of paint will do it for just the one rim but will hopefully be able to find another locally if I need one. And if the surface prep turns out to be just a cleaner, I’ll find a suitable primer.

Just found a photo from the factory and it is clear they painted all surfaces, so you are dead on. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4435.jpeg
    IMG_4435.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 28

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You will need to paint every surface with a "direct to metal" paint since they were sandblasted, then spray just the face of the wheel to get the factory look, "DTM" paint comes in different types, epoxy, enamel, etc but all have the ability to bond with the metal better than a standard primer and promote adhesion which is the goal.

C10_Blackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You will need to paint every surface with a "direct to metal" paint since they were sandblasted, then spray just the face of the wheel to get the factory look, "DTM" paint comes in different types, epoxy, enamel, etc but all have the ability to bond with the metal better than a standard primer and promote adhesion which is the goal.
Thanks for that. Do you have a locally available favorite? Would a POR-15 DTM top coat work?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
That sounds right to me. I hope the one can of paint will do it for just the one rim but will hopefully be able to find another locally if I need one. And if the surface prep turns out to be just a cleaner, I’ll find a suitable primer.

Just found a photo from the factory and it is clear they painted all surfaces, so you are dead on. Thanks.
Oh I was thinking you were painting all 5. 1 can will definitely do 1 wheel with leftover to spare

C10_Blackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oh I was thinking you were painting all 5. 1 can will definitely do 1 wheel with leftover to spare
OK then - sounds like I’m going with some sort of sealer/filler primer - probably just rust-oleum or whatever the local hardware store has and then a couple thin coats of my rally wheel paint and I guess I’m good to go.

Thanks for the help.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for that. Do you have a locally available favorite? Would a POR-15 DTM top coat work?

I would make sure it will accept paint on top of it, not all will. POR-15 is a coating to prevent rust, I would read all the directions.

Getting into something as simple as painting wheels, to do it right, can get expensive. I purchased black epoxy paint and used single stage urethane for the silver mixed at the local paint store. To paint 5 complete wheels, you may need more than 2 quart of epoxy/ catalyst mix due to the amount of overspray and such. It wouldn't surprise me if I had $125-$150 in materials just to paint them after having them blasted.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
You can use spray bomb etching or dtm primer and paint. It will be fine. Not as good as good paint or powder coat.
Yes of course you want to put “something” on the inside of the rim. Would be silly to just let it rust instantly and perpetually.
I’d just order a can or 2 of what you need off Amazon. Although Vato Zone carries Upol primers which are decent.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
I would make sure it will accept paint on top of it, not all will. POR-15 is a coating to prevent rust, I would read all the directions.

Getting into something as simple as painting wheels, to do it right, can get expensive. I purchased black epoxy paint and used single stage urethane for the silver mixed at the local paint store. To paint 5 complete wheels, you may need more than 2 quart of epoxy/ catalyst mix due to the amount of overspray and such. It wouldn't surprise me if I had $125-$150 in materials just to paint them after having them blasted.

Even if he was painting 5 wheels he wouldn’t need more than a pint at most of etching/epoxy/dtm primer. It’s 1 dusting and 1 light to med coat, just enough to cover.
For comparison, I only used slightly more than a gallon (maybe 5-6 qts sprayable) of filler primer also thinned for sealer on an entire truck including the inside of the truck bed. And 3/4 of it ended up as dust on the shop floor.

Although depending on future use it makes sense to buy materials you’ll use “later” as well. Since larger volumes are cheaper. Auto paint has a very long shelf life. Almost indefinite in context. I just painted some parts last year and used 25 year old clear. Regularly I’ve used 10-20 year old paint and primer.
When I started the blue truck I burned up the last splash of some 20 year old primer before cracking open the new can.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The wheel has been sand blasted so just a wipe off with some cleaner will be fine before painting..
If you’ve got a can of the correct color to match your other wheels that’s plenty to paint the spare wheel.
I would use some spray primer first.

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Even if he was painting 5 wheels he wouldn’t need more than a pint at most of etching/epoxy/dtm primer. It’s 1 dusting and 1 light to med coat, just enough to cover.
For comparison, I only used slightly more than a gallon (maybe 5-6 qts sprayable) of filler primer also thinned for sealer on an entire truck including the inside of the truck bed. And 3/4 of it ended up as dust on the shop floor.

Although depending on future use it makes sense to buy materials you’ll use “later” as well. Since larger volumes are cheaper. Auto paint has a very long shelf life. Almost indefinite in context. I just painted some parts last year and used 25 year old clear. Regularly I’ve used 10-20 year old paint and primer.
When I started the blue truck I burned up the last splash of some 20 year old primer before cracking open the new can.

Agree, automotive paint has a long shelf life if stored properly. Also, paint goes a long ways with HVLP gun. I think I will used not more than a 5-6 quarts for my entire truck including my interior and I have sprayed 3-4 heavy coats. I have been using the single mixed disposable cups which make cleanup a breeze. In fact, I can’t imagine using anything else again. Paint cleanup is the worse part of painting, IMO. Removing the plastic cup liner and tossing it so much easier. A quart of paint should be plenty to do all the wheels with HVLP.

Last edited:

KCKKen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
When it comes to these rally wheels, has anyone ever painted them another color other than the argent silver? I am considering painting some the Mariner Blue that I will paint parts of the body, but still a ways away from making the decision. Pictures would be a plus!

Take Care,
KS in KCK

sickchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Eastwood 2k wheel primer. Comes in a rattle can. Then top coat it with whatever you want. I would go for the Eastwood 2k rattle can areospray top coat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chype1