Painlesswiring, American Autowire, or ??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronno6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I cleaned (soaked in gas to get rid of that rubber cement type sealant) the firewall gang connectors then bought all new male and female terminals. Get those at Rock Auto for about 1/3 what NAPA wants.

The GM column harness has all the column connectors as I didn't want to mess with that. I'm adding relays as well - PW, PL, headlamps, AC, FI, etc. so will have to do alot of my own routing anyways. I have some to figure out as well with the cruise control.
The factory column harness or is one included in the kit? Do you reuse the connector bodies in the vehicle harness that connect to the column harnesses?? New terminals for that also??How about ignition and dimmer switch connectors?? Thanks....

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Haven't gotten that far into it. The harness shows all the chassis side connectors for the column. I have a totally rebuilt column with new harness - looks to match the Painless setup. Does it include the cruise, wipers, etc? Dunno yet. I kept all my original harnesses - weren't in terrible shape, just hacked and taped a million times. Will use the ends if I need them but doubt there will be many I need. You can buy new pigtails for most of it anyways.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I have rewired two trucks, 1953 (JC whitney), and 1954 3600, American Autowire. I think Painless is the standard by which all others are judged. Having said that, I will use this kit on my K20: https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/complete-wiring-kit-1973-1981-chevy-truck
Since I have done this a few times here's my take. Fifty years of use is enough, everything is tired. It takes DAYS to do it right, routing everything, and I do not like a mess of wires to look at when I open the hood. Everything is new, in the AA kit, so a year after you install it, you will not have trouble with rusty corroded light sockets etc. It is an INVESTMENT, and Painless, or AA will give you a harness that if installed correctly, you will never have to mess with again.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Here is the Painless for my truck, missing lots of stuff that the AA harness has, and bu the time you buy all the "other" stuff it will probably cost and the time... Also the AA gives you lots of wire to custom install the rear and engine wiring. Also plugs into the stock dash, and column, all problems that YOU don't have to resolve.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128