Overheating, but only when going up long hills

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBigTater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is your overheating problem fixed then? :popcorn:

Yep its cool like the other side of the pillow now! I've run it up the South hill several times in the heat of the day and it won't overheat for anything now. I ended up having to replace the fan clutch too. Got it all put back together and the next day I sprung a leak in a heater hose. I'm really glad that leak happened though because I found that I had fuel leaking on to the pass side header (no bueno). So, new heater hoses and fuel hoses and I'm good to go now!

Just gotta get my front shackles/bushings done next. The bushings are completely gone on one side so I'm still not driving it much yet lol

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yep its cool like the other side of the pillow now! I've run it up the South hill several times in the heat of the day and it won't overheat for anything now. I ended up having to replace the fan clutch too. Got it all put back together and the next day I sprung a leak in a heater hose. I'm really glad that leak happened though because I found that I had fuel leaking on to the pass side header (no bueno). So, new heater hoses and fuel hoses and I'm good to go now!

Just gotta get my front shackles/bushings done next. The bushings are completely gone on one side so I'm still not driving it much yet lol

Damn. Where did you wind up buying the fan clutch? I would like to get one for mine. Glad you're fixed up.

TheBigTater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. Where did you wind up buying the fan clutch? I would like to get one for mine. Glad you're fixed up.

I ended up getting it from Napa. Surprisingly they had the best price. AZ and Oreilly both only showed a HD clutch for my truck, but it had a standard duty thermostatic clutch on it already so I bought the same one. I didn't see any benefit of having a HD fan clutch in a place where it is only actually hot for about 60 days a year.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How is your radiator holding up so far? I just found that my Champion radiator seems to have a minor leak, I only found it because I could see some steam in front of the headlights when I was out of the truck unhooking the trailer.

TheBigTater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is your radiator holding up so far? I just found that my Champion radiator seems to have a minor leak, I only found it because I could see some steam in front of the headlights when I was out of the truck unhooking the trailer.

Holding up awesome still. I'd call em about the leak, they seemed pretty willing to go the extra mile. They'll prolly send you a new one for shipping since they have a lifetime warranty.

Now I'm just patiently waiting for my ORD shackles to show up. My front shackle bushings are completely gone, nothing but the sleeve and bolt left lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda