Outside door handle rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Classic Industries sells them , Huntington Beach Ca. I bought a 1/2 dozen from them. You push the clip down on the part that has the two holes you mentioned. The tang on the clip goes in the lower hole and the upper hole aligns with upper part of the clip. Then you push the rod through the upper hole and it goes all the way through , the back side of the clip snaps into the groove on the end of the rod .. click and its done. Very easy. Much harder to remove. To remove you have to pry the lower tang out of the hole and slide the clip up where the clip will slip past the groove in the rod releasing it to pop back out of the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Does someone need Oe parts

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I thought this issue couldn't be more painful than the install I went through. Thanks for the update Mr. Super Moderator.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hi all, thanks in advance for your help. I have a 80 GMC K15 and the drivers outside door handle does not open the door. The door opens fine using the inside handle. I removed the door trim pad and found that the outside door handle rod is just hanging from the handle. It is no longer attached to the lock mechanism. So I have some questions:

1) According to the 1980 GMC Service Manual page 2D-15, Fig. 2D-37 (below) shows a retaining clip where the rod inserts into the lock mechanism. I don't have the clip at all. Anyone know where I can get one? I should get a new rod too as this one might be a little bent.

2) There are actually 2 holes in the lock mechanism where the rod can be inserted. They are vertically aligned, with one above and one below. Anyone know which one should be used?

3) Any advice on how to install the rod and clip to the lock mechanism? I ask because it is a very tight space and I can't really get my hands in there. Do I use very long nose pliers to hold on the clip, and then shove in the rod with, say, needle nose vice grips?

Thanks, Mark

I very likely have a lot of those clips if you want me to look

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Thanks anyway AuroraGirl, I'll stick with the Mickey Mouse solution for now. And sirweesarunch says I can get them from Classic Industries. And thanks for the advice sirweesarunch.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You certainly went thru a lot to get a decent looking (and working) Mickey Mouse job! Well done!

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Aw thanks, Snoots! I needed that.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Great job Mark80K10!!! I just got done replacing my exterior doors handles also. What a frustrating PIA. Narrow, cramped, dark working environment. Went out and bought a long, skinny, flashlight with magnet from Harbor Freight. Made things better in the light area. I would recommend this light for anyone. It is not only skinny to get into tight areas, but has a light on the tip, a magnet on the other end and tip folds and swivels how ever you need it. The clip is a serious PIA, especially if it falls off. :mad:

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hi My78truck, thanks for the tip. Mark

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know this is an old thread but having just dealt with this yesterday I had to include this video I found that actually helped me get through the process.

I don't know what GM was thinking with this design.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
@Mark80K15 , we had similar issues and did not want to wait on shipping on the actual white clip so I drilled a small hole in shaft of the arm and inserted it into mechanism and put a small washer and cotter pin… and it’s been fine ever since… did replace the other with the actual white part before door panel last week…

Randy and E

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I get to do this shortly as everything is out of my doors. This is one of those areas I'd love for @Keith Seymore to chime in on as to how they originally assembled these things. Were they assembled on a table and then fished inside the door? Quite a game of finger-Twister inside of 4" with little to no visibility.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I get to do this shortly as everything is out of my doors. This is one of those areas I'd love for @Keith Seymore to chime in on as to how they originally assembled these things. Were they assembled on a table and then fished inside the door? Quite a game of finger-Twister inside of 4" with little to no visibility.
This is probably the part of a squarebody that I dislike the most. Space is super tight in there and my fingers just don't like to contort the way they need to when trying to do this job. Especially on the rear doors of a burb or 3+3. Those rear doors are about 100x worse than the regular doors :whymewhyme:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Older Volvo, Benz or Jag sedans had these same type of multiple rods, with the keepers all being 50+ yr old plastics. They were bad enough but very doable (most fun was when they'd come off and the door wouldn't open from either inside or out). These squares seem to have more rods to them and more areas that are totally blocked from view.

If they could be assembled on a table and then fished inside....I'd be all in for finding out how.

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Thanks for the video, tadslc. It adds to the knowledge in this thread. I'm still good with my bailing wire fix, two years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k