Outside door handle rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hi all, thanks in advance for your help. I have a 80 GMC K15 and the drivers outside door handle does not open the door. The door opens fine using the inside handle. I removed the door trim pad and found that the outside door handle rod is just hanging from the handle. It is no longer attached to the lock mechanism. So I have some questions:

1) According to the 1980 GMC Service Manual page 2D-15, Fig. 2D-37 (below) shows a retaining clip where the rod inserts into the lock mechanism. I don't have the clip at all. Anyone know where I can get one? I should get a new rod too as this one might be a little bent.

2) There are actually 2 holes in the lock mechanism where the rod can be inserted. They are vertically aligned, with one above and one below. Anyone know which one should be used?

3) Any advice on how to install the rod and clip to the lock mechanism? I ask because it is a very tight space and I can't really get my hands in there. Do I use very long nose pliers to hold on the clip, and then shove in the rod with, say, needle nose vice grips?

Thanks, Mark

You must be registered for see images attach

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Hi all, thanks in advance for your help. I have a 80 GMC K15 and the drivers outside door handle does not open the door. The door opens fine using the inside handle. I removed the door trim pad and found that the outside door handle rod is just hanging from the handle. It is no longer attached to the lock mechanism. So I have some questions:

1) According to the 1980 GMC Service Manual page 2D-15, Fig. 2D-37 (below) shows a retaining clip where the rod inserts into the lock mechanism. I don't have the clip at all. Anyone know where I can get one? I should get a new rod too as this one might be a little bent.

2) There are actually 2 holes in the lock mechanism where the rod can be inserted. They are vertically aligned, with one above and one below. Anyone know which one should be used?

3) Any advice on how to install the rod and clip to the lock mechanism? I ask because it is a very tight space and I can't really get my hands in there. Do I use very long nose pliers to hold on the clip, and then shove in the rod with, say, needle nose vice grips?

Thanks, Mark

use a magnet and go fishing in the bottom of the door it might be there if not...

https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-chevy-gmc/cc-1973-87-front-door-components

as for the 2 holes, when you get the clip it will have a tab on it that catches on the upper hole and then you inert the rod through the lower hole. they are easier to assemble than get apart.

Last edited:

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hi Snoots, I didn't want to single LMC Truck out, but since you suggest it, I gotta say that I looked in their catalog (2020 Edition) on page 70. I see the outside door handle rod (25) illustrated there as well as the lock mechanism (23), but no clip. For comparison, the inside door handle rod clip is listed (26, 27, 29). I may call them tomorrow for clarification. Do you know otherwise? Thanks for the quick response BTW. Mark

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hi C10MixMaster, thanks so much for the illustration and your answer about the upper and lower holes. Makes sense. The LMC link you provided refers to the same page I mentioned in my reply to Snoots above. I'll have to call LMC for clarification. I need them to confirm they have the clip.

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hi all, I just got off the phone with LMC. They confirmed they do not have the clip for the outside door handle rod. The illustration on page 68 of the 2021 Catalog (CC. 103) shows clips for the inside door handle rod (26, 27, 29). They confirmed these clips are not for the outside door handle rod.

So, does anyone know where I can find the clip for the outside door handle rod?

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi all, I just got off the phone with LMC. They confirmed they do not have the clip for the outside door handle rod. The illustration on page 68 of the 2021 Catalog (CC. 103) shows clips for the inside door handle rod (26, 27, 29). They confirmed these clips are not for the outside door handle rod.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...812/dorman-help-door-lock-rod-clip/mtm0/75450

Would one of these work? Cant remember what they look like 100 pecent

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hi ajd89, thanks for suggesting the Dorman product. I don't know if one of those would work. I'd hate to go through the trouble of snapping one into place only to discover the rod won't fit in it or align to it or something. I don't mind trying, but what if I have a lot of trouble getting it out if I have to? I think I better keep trying to find the GM clip. Besides, the O'Reilly webpage says it doesn't fit my vehicle. I know that's not gospel, but none of those clips look like the one in the illustration at the top of this thread.

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have you tried Brothers Trucks or Classic Industries? Summit Racing? CariD?

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
FYI everyone, I finished the job. Don't like the Mickey Mouse way I did it but I couldn't restore the factory set up. I couldn't get the clip (illustrated above from 1980 GMC Service Manual page 2D-15, Fig. 2D-37 in yellow) anywhere I tried. I tried using the Dorman kit 75450 as ajd89 suggested, but I couldn't get any of those retainers to work.

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I tried using the white clip (top row, middle), but I think the end is too large to insert into the bottom hole in the lock mechanism. I also tried the black clip but I think it was too large also. This picture shows the white clip installed before insertion into the door.

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
So I dispensed with the Dorman clip and tried a different approach. After great difficulty I managed to get the end of the rod into the bottom hole of the lock mechaism. Then I was able to get a bailing wire into the top hole and thread it around the back of the stock of the lock mechaism that has the holes in it and kinda twist it over itself. The secures the rod into the bottom hole. First picture shows the assembly with the door handle button not depressed.

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
This picture shows the same assembly but with the door handle button depressed. Thanks for your help everyone. I sure hope none of you have to go through this ****. Mark

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30