Outer CV Axle Boot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 S15 Jimmy 4x4

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
S15 Jimmy
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Hi, recently I noticed that one of my cv boots was cracked and leaking grease and I have a couple of questions. Here is a picture I've taken of it:

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm sort of surprised by the amount of grease in the area and was wondering if there was also a leak from the front diff maybe? I doubt it but I'm curious what y'all think.

I did a little bit of searching into how to replace one of these boots and I saw a lot of examples of people taking the entire axle out of the rig. Can the boot be replaced by just taking the wheel knuckle off of the control arms or would I need to remove the axle, also would any special tools be required for something like this?

On a completely unrelated note, I found this connector underneath my steering wheel and have no idea what it is. Could anyone identify it?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Imho, CV boots are way overrated. You can often run a CV shaft for years with a torn boot.

I'm not sure about that harness connector. Probably for an option that you don't have, perhaps a VSS connector for cruise control.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks like the normal torn boot grease mess, it gets everywhere. Buy a reman or new replacement. CV boot kits aren't expensive but unless you're really bored it isn't worth the time. The joint is likely worn out anyway.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nope, that's all CV grease.
What's your goal here? Is it shot or just blew the grease out?
Is it a daily driver/high miles or a beater for muddin?
2 options
1. Buy a repair boot and clean it up, refill with grease and it will last a while longer if it's not already trashed. $35. (Probably a long time if it’s not already clicking)
2. Buy a whole new cv axle for $70 and fix it for good, but could be a project due to rust and not being apart maybe forever

And check out that upper ball joint. It doesn't look very bueno.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I usually check the price of boot vs new axle. If the new axle is less than $100, I'll just replace the whole thing. Boot repair kits are usually under $20. Like Grit dog said, check the upper ball joint. If mine was that old and crusty looking, and I had to take it all apart anyways, I would likely just replace the entire upper A-arm(because it is usually a press-in ball joint and the A-arm bushings are often shot too) at the same time I replace the half-shaft.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Depending on the boot kit there could be a special tool needed to tighten the clamps. It's not expensive.

84 S15 Jimmy 4x4

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
S15 Jimmy
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Thank you all for your responses. For context, it is my daily driver with about 41k miles, and the axle currently makes zero noise. The current boot price is around $15, and I see replacement axles for $90.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thank you all for your responses. For context, it is my daily driver with about 41k miles, and the axle currently makes zero noise. The current boot price is around $15, and I see replacement axles for $90.
Wow, only 40k miles!
I always like those old "squarebody" S10s too!
Being a daily driver, on one hand, I'd say it's worth fixing right, but given the low miles, "right" and not yet clicking and presumably not all contaminated causing damage, I'd just clean it up good, and re-lube and put a new repair boot on it.

84 S15 Jimmy 4x4

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
S15 Jimmy
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Wow, only 40k miles!
I always like those old "squarebody" S10s too!
Being a daily driver, on one hand, I'd say it's worth fixing right, but given the low miles, "right" and not yet clicking and presumably not all contaminated causing damage, I'd just clean it up good, and re-lube and put a new repair boot on it.
Thanks!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
also avoid split boots if you can. thermoplastic OEM ones are usually good quality but those split boots.. eh.. Also CV grease ideally should be the special CV grease, but this is also a part time truck yes? If you arent driving everywhere in 4wd fast, id imagine that can be cheated then.

i would clean it, check it for wear, do what was mentioned about cost-benefit analysis as well./

ignore the saw dust but this thing had play in the wrong places and lots of it. It had been through something a little ouchy and high miles.
Hi, recently I noticed that one of my cv boots was cracked and leaking grease and I have a couple of questions. Here is a picture I've taken of it:

I'm sort of surprised by the amount of grease in the area and was wondering if there was also a leak from the front diff maybe? I doubt it but I'm curious what y'all think.

I did a little bit of searching into how to replace one of these boots and I saw a lot of examples of people taking the entire axle out of the rig. Can the boot be replaced by just taking the wheel knuckle off of the control arms or would I need to remove the axle, also would any special tools be required for something like this?

On a completely unrelated note, I found this connector underneath my steering wheel and have no idea what it is. Could anyone identify it?

does this truck have RABS at all? Kelsey Hayes antilocks systems stuff? ford used a shorting block like that for diagnostic purposes but that system was pretty distinct not that far into use by each.
also is that cv axle loose or did you have it loose already? it doesnt look like its fully mated into the hub and maybe had some slop. that would kill the joint/boot i bet (if it is)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It’s a cool little rig and pretty bulletproof as I recall. Since I’m old enough to recall when they were current model vehicles. Lol
BTW, you have no ABS

84 S15 Jimmy 4x4

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
S15 Jimmy
Engine Size
2.8L V6
It’s a cool little rig and pretty bulletproof as I recall. Since I’m old enough to recall when they were current model vehicles. Lol
BTW, you have no ABS
No airbags either, but I wasn't planning on crashing. I didn't think ABS was around for the time, but neither was I, so I wouldn't know.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No airbags either, but I wasn't planning on crashing. I didn't think ABS was around for the time, but neither was I, so I wouldn't know.
Lol! Love it!
Yeah, rear abs didn’t start until several years after your model, and front abs was about a decade later.
Let’s see some more pics of that thing!

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, rear wheel ABS came in '89 or '90. 4-wheel ABS came in around '92, and I think it was on 4x4 rigs only.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That looks pretty rusty for 41,000 miles. Not doubting you but that is pretty bad for low mileage on the truck. Do they salt up the roads in winter where you live? We dont use salt here and our trucks from the 60’s and 70’s still look like new underneath. Anyway, good luck with your truck OP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodyHansen