Folding outer door skin lip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OverUnder725

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Fit about 5" of a new outer skin onto the bottom of one of my doors tonight. Any tips or tricks on how to fold the lip on the sides and bottom without damaging or bend things all out of shape? What have you used or how have you done it?

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
The biggest duck bill vise grips you can find to start, then continue to roll it over with body hammer and dolly. Could also cut a piece of wood to help keep rolling it over if not handy with hammer and dolly. I would practice on a scrap before you get onto your skin.
Eric

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
Work slow, like bend 1/8” all the way around, then another 1/8” all the way, etc its time consuming, but will help keep from stretching it in spots. (If that makes since. I’m not a body man, so am learning too)

Before you hammer it tight, close your door and check gaps, probably won’t have to “rack” it as you would a full skin. Make sure everything lines up before hammering it tight.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just a hammer and dolly. Just work cautiously and don't fold any one area too much at once. Also pay attention to how you are holding the dolly and how much pressure is applied, to avoid damaging the outer surface and/or bending the flange on the inner shell.

There are also various tools designed for the specific purpose of folding door skins onto the inner shell. I've tried a few styles but always find that better results can be achieved with a hammer and dolly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1