original radio wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
So I managed to pick up some rear speakers and the connectors off the radio at the junkyard this weekend. I know there's 3 plugs. One is 3 wire. I assume power/acc/ground. The other 2 supply speakers. The truck I pulled it from it looked like one plug ran LF and LR while the other ran RF and RR. I assume it would be easier making one plug front one plug rear since on these trucks rear was optional but I didn't design the truck.
Does anyone know where the wiring is supposed to go? My truck has the single dash speaker also if that makes a difference.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Your assumptions are correct for the connectors. My trucks wiring is just laying under the carpet, same with the Burbs.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Run your single front speaker to the upper (D/B) terminals on the middle plug - disregard the lower connections on that plug.

Your rears will connect to the L/J (right) & K/H (left) terminals on the top plug.

The bottom plug will remain the same:

Yellow (main switched power from ignition) to F
Gray (power for back lighting from dimmer circuit) to M
Black (ground connection) to G

Note that in the drawing, the connectors are shown opposite to how they actually plug in. Use the semicircles and rectangular locators as a guide.

You must be registered for see images attach

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
That's what I needed. Makes sense why my truck had one plug missing. Still wierd the truck I got the connectors from was wired completely different. It was a 3/4 ton silverado. I had the dash out and traced the wires and the DK blue/LT blue went to the LF not the RR. Everything was backwards so it confused me.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
So I got my new speakers in the mail yesterday and hooked it all up today. I got the blues to the right and brown/yellows to the left side. It's wired according to the diagram but no sound from the rears. I'm wondering if the system is sensitive to pos/neg on the speakers? Most systems now can be wired any way and the speaker will still work.

No go. Swapped wiring on rears and still no good. It's like nothing is coming out of the radio. I wonder if there's a way to change modes or something like that? or should it be plug & play?

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:think: Is it a stock stereo?

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
Yeah it is. Do I need to get a radio from a suburban, blazer or a truck that had rear speakers? Or buy that fancy one I've been eyeballing from LMC lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Where you plugged in the new harness connector, did you notice if there were terminals there? Maybe the radio just has a blank hole that you plugged the connector into?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It's like nothing is coming out of the radio

If any speaker wire is grounded (or a pair is shorted) it will overload the little internal amp. This will effectively mute the radio.

Look closely at the wiring and inspect for shorts/grounds.

This is all assuming that you did have volume before the speaker change - correct?

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
I still have front speaker output like before just nothing from the rears I just installed. I didn't think about it not having pins. It's kinda hard to get to until you figure out how to lay yourself under the dash. I'll pull the connector tomorrow and check for pins. Figured they would be there since the truck isn't a base model and the face is identical to the ones in the truck I pulled the speaker brackets from.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Are all 4 knobs in place?

Each stem came with the main knobs - leftside (on/off volume) and rightside (tuning).

Behind them were the fader and balance knobs (which side IDK).

Sometimes the back knobs get lost -use your finger tips.

If worst comes to worst, wire them all together in parallel with the front speaker.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
My left rear knob only controls bass to the front speaker. My right rear knob does nothing but spin like it was put there for decoration. There isn't a fader or balance adjuster on it. I pulled them off to check and the knob isn't notched for any kind of adjuster like the left one is. Maybe the radio wasn't designed for rear speakers so it wouldn't need the fader adjustment.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have a feeling your stereo is not setup to run 4 speakers.

Posted From Hell

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm starting to get that feeling too.

Maybe worst has come to worst:

If worst comes to worst, wire them all together in parallel with the front speaker.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
Yeah I pulled it out and put my finger in the socket. I didn't feel any pins so this was a base type stereo. I've been wanting to go with this one for awhile. It should plug into the stock wiring and use the factory knobs. It's got better audio output with ipod hookup in the back too which I like.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/CC/full.aspx?page=116

#38-8596

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35