O'Reilly sux balls !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you keep buying only from cheap places, the auto parts stores will vanish. Then, the online stores will just mark it up more. Support your local auto parts stores..Sorry.

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
They’re both poor excuses for parts stores. But who isn’t anymore?
They closed the local Napa so it’s now a 20 or 30 minute drive, but the little store still has very knowledgeable parts folks. And the big store is the dist center for this area so 99% chance they always have what you need.

But in general, online parts is killing the actual parts stores just like every other business.
Keepin the lights on is difficult when you only sell a small % of what you used to, combined with the FJB inflation. It’s the premium we pay for parts today and not tomorrow or 3 days or a week from now online. I get it.
Currently Oreillys is slightly better than Vato Zone around here. But mostly because I know a couple of the high schoolers working there.
Hello GD. Hope all is well.
I hear you. They are trash. They have a full library of catalogs but if it is not in the computer it does not exist to most of the dumbos behind the counter.

Growing up in what used to be a small community outside El Paso before Auto Shack (previous name for AZ) came in you would go into the local parts store owned by the local neighbor. He had 2 other old gentlemen working there sometimes as soon as you walked in they already knew the part just by eyeballing it. Almost like they would challenge each other.
You would tell them what you needed either one of the three would answer it is
part # ***- yxz it is on row 4 shelf 5.
If it was a real odd ball thing they would go through all the freaking row of encyclopedia parts books to find it and if they did not have it they would cross reference it to other suppliers and find the exact match in a different brand.

Now it is mostly a bunch of lazy guys that don't want to look up or bother with nothing.

GOSH I miss those days!!

Have a very good weekend!

Dryriver1

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
If you keep buying only from cheap places, the auto parts stores will vanish. Then, the online stores will just mark it up more. Support your local auto parts stores..Sorry.
Hello Justhorns. Hope all is well.

It is pretty hard to do it when they do not try to give the service the customer deserves. If they don't go out of their way to help you out with your items it is hard not to walk out and look somewhere else.

Be well and stay safe out there.

All the best to you and yours.

Dryriver1

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hello GD. Hope all is well.
I hear you. They are trash. They have a full library of catalogs but if it is not in the computer it does not exist to most of the dumbos behind the counter.

Growing up in what used to be a small community outside El Paso before Auto Shack (previous name for AZ) came in you would go into the local parts store owned by the local neighbor. He had 2 other old gentlemen working there sometimes as soon as you walked in they already knew the part just by eyeballing it. Almost like they would challenge each other.
You would tell them what you needed either one of the three would answer it is
part # ***- yxz it is on row 4 shelf 5.
If it was a real odd ball thing they would go through all the freaking row of encyclopedia parts books to find it and if they did not have it they would cross reference it to other suppliers and find the exact match in a different brand.

Now it is mostly a bunch of lazy guys that don't want to look up or bother with nothing.

GOSH I miss those days!!

Have a very good weekend!

Dryriver1
My parents bought the independent auto parts store in 1978, that my Dad had worked in for 10 years. Mom and I were already spending time there since we'd go over there when she got off work. At that time, we were in central Houston, with lots of service station and garage customers. When the economic downturn hit in the Northeast and Midwest, the warehouses up there started looking for business in new markets. They'd come in and sell to our customers, cheaper than we could buy the parts. And many of these shops had fleet accounts because Houston was a boomtown then....
About those fleet accounts: Xerox had a large fleet of cars for their salesmen and techs to go around in. In 1978 they got Impalas. Summer of '78 was very hot and humid. Those cars had air conditioner problems from the factory, and I can tell you that we sold enough of those repair parts that we could almost pull them without looking in the catalogs. So they get rid of the Impalas that were half wore out anyway, and got LeMans sedans in '79. More AC problems, and these being midsize had smaller brakes than the Impalas. Got driven just as hard though....So they get rid of the Pontiacs. Get Ford Fairmonts, 200" straight six. Crap brakes, different size tires on each corner (this happened to several cars!)and AC that can't handle Gulf Coast summers. Our drivers ed car in high school was an identical car and it sucked big-time....
After they killed most of the Ford's, they got Dodge and Plymouth K cars.....
I don't think they had that big of a fleet too many years after that.
As this scenario was playing out, several of the garages and stations were getting shut down or forced to find new locations. Another example: a major Gulf station shop, that kept 6 or 7 mechanics busy, besides the gas station part of it, was told they had a week to vacate. The station was closed and demolished, to put an office tower up. While the highrise is being built, the recession in the North, comes south.
That office building had no tenants, other than a leasing office, for ten years.
We had catalogs in our store, three counters full of the racks. Some duplication, because you'd often have two countermen on the phone with different customers, looking up parts, taking orders and giving quotes. We had some walk-in trade too, and a third counterman to deal with that, and two delivery trucks running six days a week.
By 1983, Houston was slow enough and we'd lost enough shop customers, that we moved the store to the suburbs near where we lived. Mostly walk-in trade here, not too many shops and the ones there are, have stores they have deals with. We went on like that till the end of '87, intending to move to a different, cheaper shopping center.
During these years, the Indies like us gradually got run out of the market. In the span of a little more than a year,we had a Chief and an Auto Shack move in on two of the other three corners of the intersection our store was located near. There was already a Hi-Lo down the road a mile or so; this was before the local chain got bought out by O'Reilly's. The original Charlie's Hi-Lo was in Bellaire, and my dad used to go there a lot....
Computers were just beginning to come into play in the industry. Not too long before this, all invoices were handwritten, and the inventory controls were done by hand and notebook. It's still amazing to me, how the computer on the counter has mostly replaced the 40 foot rack of paper catalogs....and most of the younger parts people wouldn't know what to do with a catalog! My friend at my local O'Reilly's is third generation in the business so they do(even though they are 20 years younger than me!).

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Auto parts houses have always had tier pricing. 35 years ago the NAPA guy could quote me the walk in price, the buddy price, the *******'s price, commercial account price and maybe a few others.
Apply for a business tax ID in your state and set up an account with O Reillys. Or if you have a farm or small homestead with an exemption, get an account. You will save on taxes and markup.

Unless you have a mom and pop auto parts store in your town, it makes no difference supporting the local O'Reillys or Autozone or fill in the franchise name here. The parts are Chinese.
Doesn't matter if it says AC Delco: when the wheel cylinder cups are loose in the box and the bleeder is 10mm and the ones that came off your truck are 3/8s, it wasn't made in the US.

If you want to save money and don't have a business account, plan ahead and order online.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
That's why I use Rock Auto more now. Lot of the same stuff at a whole lot less. I just did the rear discs on ou 03 Crown Vic police interceptor, and for $96 I got 2 rotors and all 4 pads. One rotor at Autozone start at $86.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@HotWheelsBurban, sounds like you just described almost every mid-late 70s to mid-late 80s car out there to a tee. Easily the WORST decade for vehicle quality and power of the vehicles I was/am familiar with.
At least the pickups from that era got “some” quality by default of having to have heavier duty components.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There’s only 1 mom n pop parts store around here. And it’s a good shop. I’m sure they’ll be out of business too before long. Never see many customers there when I drive by and they’re open. And they seem to never be open when I need something….And they don’t have the support like Napa with a distribution facility nearby nor do they have the stock of parts so while they’re friendly and knowledgeable, ordering a part you need today or tomorrow that takes a week and more expensive makes them often a non starter for me.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I worked at Napa for a few years. Yes, the kids I was working with had no clue about working on cars. But, I still use NAPA for some of my parts because they have them HERE. They do stupid things like decreasing stock of older car parts (which I don't like). They now say the parts are in stock locally, but, we'll call you when they come in... They move parts between stores to enhance their stock (have less and keep the drivers busy). But, when they are gone, Walmart will be it. Rock auto will increase pricing after they have completed their takeover and where are we..

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I worked at Napa for a few years. Yes, the kids I was working with had no clue about working on cars. But, I still use NAPA for some of my parts because they have them HERE. They do stupid things like decreasing stock of older car parts (which I don't like). They now say the parts are in stock locally, but, we'll call you when they come in... They move parts between stores to enhance their stock (have less and keep the drivers busy). But, when they are gone, Walmart will be it. Rock auto will increase pricing after they have completed their takeover and where are we..
I didn't know RA was in the midst of a takeover.

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
We’ve got a Carquest and a Napa. I use the Napa a lot more since Carquest was taken over by Advance Auto Parts. I know the owners of both very well.
Now the CQ has to push Fram filters, so they lost a lot of business. The Napa store doesn’t have as much inventory, but will do his best to get it overnight if he doesn’t have it in stock.
Both keep their parts books, and reference them a good bit.

The box stores are 30 miles away (AZ, OR & AA) I will use them if need be, but try to buy local for the most part.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Napa, O’Reilly and AZ all have an online presence. Not to mention Summit, Jegs, etc.

There is still plenty of competition to keep prices in check. RA does not and never will have a monopoly.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Agree with a lot that has been said. But if you don't support them, they may not be there when that water pump goes out at 5pm on a sunday afternoon 1,000 miles away from home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceyman72