O'Reilly sux balls !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My water pump started leaking via the weep hole so today I put on my new TuffStuff HV pump. I'll add the TuffStuff pump is very nice quality. The black powder coat is A+!

So I thought while I was at it, I'd run down to O'Reilly's and get a new serpentine belt. Nothing wrong with the current one (Gates) so I'd keep it as a spare.
$71 fricken bux for a belt?! No thanks, I walked out.
Got on my phone and entered the same part number at RockAuto and up pops the Gates belt......$21. You sheeting me? $50 difference for the same damn thing?
Crazy.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Oh-oh-oh Oreily’s is weird with some parts. If you’re open to brands they are usually competitive but sometimes if you’re particular they just order it from Summit, mark it up 30% and tack on the shipping.

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
My water pump started leaking via the weep hole so today I put on my new TuffStuff HV pump. I'll add the TuffStuff pump is very nice quality. The black powder coat is A+!

So I thought while I was at it, I'd run down to O'Reilly's and get a new serpentine belt. Nothing wrong with the current one (Gates) so I'd keep it as a spare.
$71 fricken bux for a belt?! No thanks, I walked out.
Got on my phone and entered the same part number at RockAuto and up pops the Gates belt......$21. You sheeting me? $50 difference for the same damn thing?
Crazy.
Last time I was there IIRC they do price match, but I don't know if they do it for internet sellers too.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
To get a good price at O'Reilly's you have to have a friend who gets commercial account discount. That's why I get stuff from one location, I have a buddy who's the assistant manager and over the commercial account counter. Another friend has a shop that ordered parts for me several years ago, and that's how we got started. Saved me $125 on the fuel pump for the Burb last year.....

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
To get a good price at O'Reilly's you have to have a friend who gets commercial account discount. That's why I get stuff from one location, I have a buddy who's the assistant manager and over the commercial account counter. Another friend has a shop that ordered parts for me several years ago, and that's how we got started. Saved me $125 on the fuel pump for the Burb last year.....
Yes that is true. Both AZ & O'Reilly's do that. That is why I feel a lot of the mechanic shops are rip offs, but not all.

They get the parts at about 25 to 50% off on some parts and consumables, but bill the customer at full price on the total bill.
They don’t pass at least some of the savings to the customers.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
O’Reilly’s will match RockAuto, at least they do for me. I’d just order from RA, but I’ve had a couple bad experiences trying to do legitimate returns there. If I get burned a couple times, I’m done. Anyone can set up an account at a FLAP store, btw. Spent $20k at Napa over the past few years, I get a decent price on stuff there now.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
The mark up on auto parts are ridiculous. My inlaws own a mechanic shop. I get parts for cost and see what people pay and its stupid. But in there defense they pay a crap tone for there scanners and subscriptions to program this new junk and over head.

The best was when a buddy was a manger for a auto parts place. I got parts even cheaper then the inlaws. Those were the best days ever. Texted him what I needed he would buy and drop off. We have a beer I give him cash and carry on.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
No thanks, I walked out.
I've walked out of O'Reillys under very similar circumstances in the not too distant past. It seems like their pricing model has changed withing the last few years, making them not such a budget friendly option.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I thought I was crazy. The last few times I've been in there everything is so expensive. A headlight switch was $70 the other week. But I needed it and it was late. Standard motor products I believe. I only go there for when I can't make it anywhere else, or for my wix filters.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes that is true. Both AZ & O'Reilly's do that. That is why I feel a lot of the mechanic shops are rip offs, but not all.

They get the parts at about 25 to 50% off on some parts and consumables, but bill the customer at full price on the total bill.
They don’t pass at least some of the savings to the customers.
Full price? You forgot the healthy markup on top of the full price.
Half the reason shops don’t like customers supplying their own parts.
At the end of the day it doesn’t matter if they charge $500/hour or mark up the parts 200%. A dollar is a dollar and it’s up to the consumer to decide whether it’s worth it to them.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Full price? You forgot the healthy markup on top of the full price.
Half the reason shops don’t like customers supplying their own parts.
At the end of the day it doesn’t matter if they charge $500/hour or mark up the parts 200%. A dollar is a dollar and it’s up to the consumer to decide whether it’s worth it to them.

The shop I worked for, we didn't let customers supply their own parts because 90% of the time, they got the wrong parts and then the vehicle was dead on the rack until the correct parts were obtained. The money was in the know-how and the labor, not markup on parts.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That belt was probably $150 at napa. I dont even consider them anymore. I bought a ball joint off RA for $13 shipped. They quoted me $89 + tax - same PN and brand. AZ and OR are becoming HF's to me. Everything in the store is junk.

Most of the small shops around here (even the Ferd dealer) has accts at AZ, OR, etc....they use the lifetime warranties themselves.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They’re both poor excuses for parts stores. But who isn’t anymore?
They closed the local Napa so it’s now a 20 or 30 minute drive, but the little store still has very knowledgeable parts folks. And the big store is the dist center for this area so 99% chance they always have what you need.

But in general, online parts is killing the actual parts stores just like every other business.
Keepin the lights on is difficult when you only sell a small % of what you used to, combined with the FJB inflation. It’s the premium we pay for parts today and not tomorrow or 3 days or a week from now online. I get it.
Currently Oreillys is slightly better than Vato Zone around here. But mostly because I know a couple of the high schoolers working there.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That belt was probably $150 at napa. I dont even consider them anymore. I bought a ball joint off RA for $13 shipped. They quoted me $89 + tax - same PN and brand. AZ and OR are becoming HF's to me. Everything in the store is junk.

Most of the small shops around here (even the Ferd dealer) has accts at AZ, OR, etc....they use the lifetime warranties themselves.

Napa's actual pricing is comparable to other parts houses. The 'list' price for everything on the paper receipt doesn't even apply to the average walk-in customer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981