Options for tuning of Gen1 TBI in 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hi,

I'm trying to find out what are the options for tuning of the 1990 TBI system these days. From what I've learned the ECU has a PROM memory, a one-time programmable chip that stores the base tune and adjustments are done on the go using inputs mostly from O2 sensors. That's similar to what I'm familiar with from a 1990 Honda CRX I used to own. In a Honda in order to tune ECU one had to replace the PROM with EPROM memory (a memory that is erasable by exposing to UV) which made it possible to do couple of iterations of tuning without wasting single time programmable memories.
The other option was to switch to the more modern ECU which could be reprogrammed without that much of a hassle.

How it's done in case of GM TBI computer? I found that in past there were companies selling pre-programmed chips with some tunes, which puts a big red warning light in my head as each engine is different. It looks like many old links are not working anymore, so my question is related to what are the options as of today? Ideally an option with EEPROM or a FLASH memory would be the best.

A costly option of putting an aftermarket TBI system or an old school option to change to carb are the ones I'd prefer to avoid, as technically all the parts needed are there already, it's just a matter of tuning. I'm not planning to build an engine that would justify these changes, instead I want to learn more and play with the car as much as I can myself.

dusterdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c15
Engine Size
This should be interesting

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
been working with a tuner. it has been ok. if I had it to do over again, I'd be really tempted to use dynamic EFI EBL Flash II and tune it myself. I was scared of the tuning effort, but I've done so much research I feel like I could have probably done it just fine after going through the tuner route.

but unless you are changing cam and (maybe) heads, I'd just leave the stock computer alone. there isn't a lot to gain on the stock setup without engine mods.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
That Dynamic EFI looks like something I was looking for! I've been on that page but by looking how it looks like it was last updated in the 90's I judged that this product is probably no longer available :)

And I agree that unless I'm doing some major changes then a tuning won't be needed, a simple header and exhaust change won't change the engine output to the point that it would matter.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
ADS Superchip was the best one, imo. That's what you want. Full time programming, not only full throttle.

I watched that search on eBay and bought one when it showed up.
Came in the original box, with the OG sticker, receipt, and everything!

Think I paid $30.

Good Luck!
You must be registered for see images attach

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yes. It replaces the factory chip. Not what you want if you gotta play with something, but it's plug and play for 30 bucks maybe. Obsolete tech nobody else wants today. You! Are the market for those. (I've already got one!) :p

Last edited:

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I've looked into options also. Dynamic EFI looks to be my pick, reasonable price and would do the job easily for mild performance gains I would think.
Harris chips, from what I've read maybe not as easy to change tunes. I'm sure some one out there has used them
Haltech also have the GM platinum sport. Haltech has a good rep here in Australia. Expensive compared to the dynamic EFI option

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I've looked into options also. Dynamic EFI looks to be my pick, reasonable price and would do the job easily for mild performance gains I would think.
Harris chips, from what I've read maybe not as easy to change tunes. I'm sure some one out there has used them
Haltech also have the GM platinum sport. Haltech has a good rep here in Australia. Expensive compared to the dynamic EFI option
I am using TBICHIPS. It takes time and money to mail chips back and forth. It is probably not a one and done kind of deal in most cases. At the end of the day, I think I am getting where I need to be. But it has taken months and extra cash to mail chips (for both me and him) and data logging and some data reduction on my end to help sort things out. I've had some unrelated issues that have set back progress, so my case may be atypical. If I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I'd lean toward dynamic EFI or not changing things enough to require tuning at all. But he is knowledgeable about the TBI systems. I'd imagine, like anything else, if he can physically put his hands on the vehicle and can check things over that it is loads better than tuning remotely.

Last edited:

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
For the price of a Haltech one can get a Sniper EFI, so that doesn't seem to be a cost effective.

Good thing that GM TBI is not a forgotten tech and there is still some aftermarket supporting it :)

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
For the price of a Haltech one can get a Sniper EFI, so that doesn't seem to be a cost effective.

Good thing that GM TBI is not a forgotten tech and there is still some aftermarket supporting it :)
Nice thing about Haltech is you can set fuel and ignition parameters. Sniper just does fuel,you can add on a hyperspark distributor kit but that's another 700. Honestly I don't know a lot about the haltech,I have and had friends that loved it. Had wasn't a falling out,Dorian had a stupid accident. No seat belt.

Last edited:

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
I am using TBICHIPS. It takes time and money to mail chips back and forth. It is probably not a one and done kind of deal in most cases. At the end of the day, I think I am getting where I need to be. But it has taken months and extra cash to mail chips (for both me and him) and data logging and some data reduction on my end to help sort things out. I've had some unrelated issues that have set back progress, so my case may be atypical. If I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I'd lean toward dynamic EFI or not changing things enough to require tuning at all. But he is knowledgeable about the TBI systems. I'd imagine, like anything else, if he can physically put his hands on the vehicle and can check things over that it is loads better than tuning remotely.
I'm fixing to rebuild our 454 and am going to use TBI chips-Harris also. What is the current data logging I should use? Alot of posts are very old...

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I'm fixing to rebuild our 454 and am going to use TBI chips-Harris also. What is the current data logging I should use? Alot of posts are very old...

I was just logging with ALDLDroid, which isn't as capable as other software.

Sgt Gus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 3/4 ton
Engine Size
454ci/7.4L
Right, but allowed you to use blue tooth and phone vs laptop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL