Oil pressure help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Being an auto tech first thing we do is diagnose. Previous suggestions are good if you know what is going on. Before wasting time or money verify. I think you're getting mind twisted thinking the 2 are related. They might be but nothing else matters with 0 oil pressure other than that.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok so if I’m understanding correctly, first thing I should do is check with another pressure gauge?

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Or, before buying another gauge, if your existing gauge has the nylon/vinyl tube try disconnecting it and see if oil flows into a container while running.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a old Stewart Warner gauge on a ford 2n that works so I will test it with that.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Could it be losing pressure now because the thermostat is heating the engine oil up more making it lose viscosity?

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Worn out oil pump/motor. If you want to keep driving it, put in a new high pressure oil pump and you can get more miles out of it, and it will show oil pressure on the gauge.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
If I put a hv pump in it am I still ok to run the 20w50? Or do I need to go to 15w40 or something like that.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
And what is the minimum safe hot 500 rpm in gear idle oil pressure?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If you still have the old filter, use some tin snips to cut it open. Look for debris in the filter media, if it’s clean then you can be reasonably sure the engine isn’t eating itself.

I would suggest putting another gauge on it, just to verify the problem is real.

Regardless of the numbers, if the filter is clean, the engine runs well with no rattles, knocks, or other death sounds, relax. Sure the pressure is lower than ideal, but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. The engine is probably tired.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I was going to put a old Stewart Warner gauge that was on my ford 2n but it’s the wrong size for the line that is already in the dash. I will get a Bosch full sweep gauge or something tomorrow for cheap to double check. The engine doesn’t sound like it has any clattering knocking or rattling noises. There’s a small header leak I’m pretty sure that makes a really quiet tick but other than that the engine is very quiet and crisp

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
here’s a video of it running now
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Took the thermostat out, punched out the thermostat valve in the middle so it was just a disk. Cut it out until there was an opening of 1” in the middle, basically making a restrictor plate out of it so that the system will still pressurize unlike running with nothing in the thermostat area. Engine warms up within about 5 min to 170 and stays at around 180 when ran for a while. Oil pressure is looking good now? I haven’t taken it out for a drive yet to get it good and hot but I ran it up to 180 and the pressure was still at 25lbs. This is with 100 degree ambient temp sitting idling not moving. I will probably keep the thermostat as it is until it start getting cold and I will put in a 180. Why would it be that I now have ok pressure?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If your engine truly has no oil pressure at idle at 200 degrees you have a definite problem. Running thicker oil and keeping the engine cool is just masking the problem I suspect you have a sticking oil pressure relief valve. It is not normal to have to run the engine with no thermostat to maintain oil pressure. It's your truck,the choice is yours,find the real problem and fix it,or do band aid fixes and keep your fingers crossed.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
New gauge is coming today. I will post if there is any difference with the new gauge. If it’s not the gauge should I move on to buy a new pump and pickup?

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I think that what everybody is trying to tell you, is that if your motor is worn out enough to not have oil pressure, you should rebuild it. Anything else would just be a temporary solution. If it had enough trash go through it to wear out the oil pump rotors, the bearings are probably worn worse, since they are softer than the oil pump gears, or it has so much bearing clearance it doesn't make pressure. A new pump in a worn out engine... Hard to say without tearing it down and knowing for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76