Oil pressure gauge question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Like what you see with the brake lines by the master.
Coil it up a few turns on the firewall before heading into the cab.
I too prefer the electric senders. It’s what I have in my truck. It was surprisingly annoying getting the correct one from the parts store. I pretty much had to look it up and just give them a part number. I ordered 4 from amazon and all 4 were bad. So it lead me to then local hut.
IS THAT WHY THEY ARE COILED? I NEVER UNDERSTOOD THAT... so the vibrations.. are dampened by the spring tension?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
IS THAT WHY THEY ARE COILED? I NEVER UNDERSTOOD THAT... so the vibrations.. are dampened by the spring tension?

Effectively, yes.

If you take a piece of steel wire and bend it repeatedly it will work harden and eventually become brittle and break. Copper work hardens too. The coil prevents that kind of point-flexing. It absorbs engine vibration, and the relative motion between the engine, chassis and cab over a larger area and in a non-linear form.

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Well, all they had round here was mechanical gauges so I got the Bosch 2" and copper tubing kit with pipe bender for under $40. So not too bad there paw paw.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I'm looking at how to run that oil line. Along side the motor back to the firewall? Hmm, seems best to come up behind the P.S. pump then back inside along the valve cover to the firewall then along it to the hole to the back of the gauge. Guess we'll see.

Thanks for the responses. Electric one would've been easier but, I think this will be better in the long run.

man, you know the last time i saw a clear hei distributor cap? i was staioned at fort polk louisiana and it was 1976. they had a rent-a-stall where u could work on your car and there was a speed and parts shop there. i had a 2350 lb 65 2+2 mustang with 420 tq small block, and buddy had a catfish mouth camaro with big block. he was installing the clear cap that day.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
man, you know the last time i saw a clear hei distributor cap? i was staioned at fort polk louisiana and it was 1976. they had a rent-a-stall where u could work on your car and there was a speed and parts shop there. i had a 2350 lb 65 2+2 mustang with 420 tq small block, and buddy had a catfish mouth camaro with big block. he was installing the clear cap that day.

Cool. I have a 2000 camaro ss too. No bb in it tho. :oops:

It's a skip white distributor I bought new last year. It was on 305 i just swapped with the bb 454. Does look good while the engine is running. :cool:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Ok I was thinking about using these 1/8 tubing fasteners to hold oil line in place.

TOVOT 200 PCS Black Nylon Screw Wire Clips R-Type Clip Cable Clamp Fasteners Tubing Clips 1/8 Inch (3 mm) for Wire Management https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WVNHZK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_29hMEbRNJCRVJ

Was thinking of running along the frame with a couple then a couple on the firewall. They're plastic so I don't think they'd wear a hole in the line. Idk.

Bad idea?

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
run it through some hose as somebody said earlier. then, you can run clamps on the hose for purty. jus keep clamps loose. than tubing is always dancing, so there is that hardening and chafing thing going on. when tubing makes transition from block, then to (thru) firewall, is the most worrysome point. i think it was blue ox said about the coil, damn right!

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
There are clamps similar in appearance to what you illustrated, but get the ones that have rubber type insulation on them. Eliminates chafing

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Another thing to consider is where you're tapping the oil gallery. There may be a spot on the block closer to the firewall that you can access to shorten up the tubing run. Less tubing = less chance of failure.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Ok, so when I got home got the dog fed then cracked open a beer and went out to **** with this gauge. I figured since I'm not gonna use the plastic line I can run a test hook up with it. If I **** it up oh well. You know.

So I run the line and it's 6 ft just like the copper one I have. It's not long enough for me to coil it like blue ox suggested(which I agree with)so this us what it looks like.

Works good tho lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Can anyone show me how they did theirs?
With the copper line u will have a little more because I won't have to keep it away from the header as much. So there us that. Lol

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Run your tube in some split wire loom! Looks good and helps prevent wear!:cheers:

Funny you say that. Had to go to Wal-Mart at lunch today. It's right down the road from the shop. Happened to go to the automotive section and by this.

Same lengtg as all the tubing. Lol

Actually bought it for wires to the tach. Or any other wires on the truck.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Funny you say that. Had to go to Wal-Mart at lunch today. It's right down the road from the shop. Happened to go to the automotive section and by this.

Same lengtg as all the tubing. Lol

Actually bought it for wires to the tach. Or any other wires on the truck.
if you could get a sheath of rubber or plastic thin enough.... metal conduit would look cool, but obviously unnecessary for the purpose of routing and protecting when the plastic does the same job with less... but less cool looking

malibuman402

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
BB 402+.060 = 413.8CI
check for an oil pressure boss above the oil filter. thats where mine is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP