Oil pressure gauge question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Ok now that I've got the BBC in i want to put in a oil gauge. Now the problem is it seems to have the sending unit on the front drivers side they has just a wire to it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wow terrible pic. But, it's like a tin can with single wire to it. Now all the gauges I've seen have a clear plastic hose on them. So how do I find the kind with single wire? Or is that just for an oil light? I'd rather have a pressure gauge than a dummy light.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
That's a sender for an electrical pressure gauge. The ones with the hose are for mechanical gauges.

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
you can ave a gauge and a wired OPS, accuracy suffers.
you can go to nerest chinese parts store and buy a gauge that has the clear plastic hose, and it usually comes with the brass hardware to install @ oil pressure switch hole.
most oem oil pressure gauges are electric, most are also only a gauge that reads some or none pressure and pegs gauge at center.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
lmc truck etc, has 0~60 psi and 0~100 psi electrical gauges.
my sbc 350 uses a 0~60 psi electrical.

good luck

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Seems electric might be the way to go for me because I don't want hot oil sprayed on the interior if that cheap little hose breaks. Swing by Napa on the way home and check it out.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Some of the aftermarket gauge sets come with a copper line instead of the cheap plastic line which will fail over time. It's what I used on mine! I prefer one that will give me an accurate real time pressure reading!:cheers::cheers: Enjoy that BB brother!!

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
And whether you use wire or line type gauge run it inside some appropriate size rubber hose through the firewall to prevent rubbing into it, but you already knew that, just saying!:cheers:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
And whether you use wire or line type gauge run it inside some appropriate size rubber hose through the firewall to prevent rubbing into it, but you already knew that, just saying!:cheers:
Perhaps an appropiate grommet on the hole?

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Well, all they had round here was mechanical gauges so I got the Bosch 2" and copper tubing kit with pipe bender for under $40. So not too bad there paw paw.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I'm looking at how to run that oil line. Along side the motor back to the firewall? Hmm, seems best to come up behind the P.S. pump then back inside along the valve cover to the firewall then along it to the hole to the back of the gauge. Guess we'll see.

Thanks for the responses. Electric one would've been easier but, I think this will be better in the long run.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I'll be the odd one out here, but I prefer electric gauges. Knowing your oil pressure to the pound isn't necessary, and electric gauges aren't as inaccurate as people think. I also think an extra sensor for an idiot light is a good thing. We had some real high quality gauges in the race car but while you're driving you can't pay enough attention to the gauges. So we had a big fat red light on the dashboard too.

Okay, rant off.... When you run that capillary tube, make sure you put a coil in it to sponge up motion and vibration. Copper work hardens, so it will eventually pop if you don't. As tiny as that tube is it can empty an engine pretty quickly. And even if it doesn't, hot oil spraying around cannot end well.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'll be the odd one out here, but I prefer electric gauges. Knowing your oil pressure to the pound isn't necessary, and electric gauges aren't as inaccurate as people think. I also think an extra sensor for an idiot light is a good thing. We had some real high quality gauges in the race car but while you're driving you can't pay enough attention to the gauges. So we had a big fat red light on the dashboard too.

Okay, rant off.... When you run that capillary tube, make sure you put a coil in it to sponge up motion and vibration. Copper work hardens, so it will eventually pop if you don't. As tiny as that tube is it can empty an engine pretty quickly. And even if it doesn't, hot oil spraying around cannot end well.
wdym coil

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
wdym coil
Like what you see with the brake lines by the master.
Coil it up a few turns on the firewall before heading into the cab.
I too prefer the electric senders. It’s what I have in my truck. It was surprisingly annoying getting the correct one from the parts store. I pretty much had to look it up and just give them a part number. I ordered 4 from amazon and all 4 were bad. So it lead me to then local hut.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare