Oil burnin 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
My 2007 with 180k is an oil burning pig. 1 qt every 1000 miles. I have had it since new, and it has never missed an oil change. It runs great, other than the oil consumption problem. I hope it is as simple as the pcv. I will have to check that out.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thx to all for the suggestions, especially @AuroraGirl. Here's fingers crossed its the PCV. Otherwise I just stocked up on Castrol 20W50 because apparently noone uses it and it's on "clearance" everywhere. $20 for 5qt jug is cheaper by a large margin than even no name oils. (Plus I needed a couple gallons for the hydros in the mower, great oil to run int he 350 in the boat in the summer as well)

I may not respond with the issue for a while, it's not on page 1 of the to do list, but I was thinking about finding another beater for the kid to drive and dumping this one although he loves driving it, so it may get a little love in the near future.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I read a smart sounding person on a forum pointed out if one uses a orifice kind that the vacuum on the engine is harder (likely) and the flow at RPM will also probably be more but that the likely hood of consumption is lower overall assuming the placement of the valve isnt dog crap.
I suppose these 5.3s are gonna be reving higher than most SBCs and that maybe thats why the change is needed sometimes. wonder if all this and what he said works to be true or if I Just spent 8 minutes believing in a LIE. (lol!)

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I would change the intake manifold gaskets and PCV/valve cover. Then I would pull the plugs and use AC Delco upper cylinder cleaner and put a couple tablespoons in each cylinder(it will clean ALL of the carbon and junk off the pistons and cylinder walls). Let it sit for an hour or two with the cleaner in the cylinders and then crank it over with the plugs still out. It will blow all the liquid and junk out. Then put the OLD plugs back in and go give it a hard italian tune-up. It should help blow the junk out and re-seat the rings. Then put NEW plugs in and probably new plug wires as well. Doing all that to my 2011 helped a ton with oil consumption and overall power.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Nope.
Good luck with it.
i just need to know if you were making a strong statement about the castrol or if it was about other things.

rusty, 20w50 is usually racing oil and are meant to take shear loads and high temps..
Rusty you dont have to share with the class but I hope it gets better. <3

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thx to all for the suggestions, especially @AuroraGirl. Here's fingers crossed its the PCV. Otherwise I just stocked up on Castrol 20W50 because apparently noone uses it and it's on "clearance" everywhere. $20 for 5qt jug is cheaper by a large margin than even no name oils. (Plus I needed a couple gallons for the hydros in the mower, great oil to run int he 350 in the boat in the summer as well)

I may not respond with the issue for a while, it's not on page 1 of the to do list, but I was thinking about finding another beater for the kid to drive and dumping this one although he loves driving it, so it may get a little love in the near future.
Are you saying that you are running VR1 20-50 in a 5.3 LS? The clearances and seals are designed to run on 5-30 synthetic... I wouldn't suggest running such a high viscosity oil in it unless you have almost no oil pressure due to heavily worn bearings. My 2011 5.3 is going on 220,000 miles and still runs great. Uses no oil anymore after changing the drivers side valve cover to the new design(also one that doesn't have the pcv baffle drains clogged with carbon) and cleaning the cylinder walls with the AC Delco upper cylinder cleaner and their service bulletin. We used it to pull our travel trailer from Salem, OR to Bear Lake, Utah this summer with zero issues. Its had the transmission and axles rebuilt and upgraded for towing and the cooling system upgraded with a huge front mount, but the engine is bone stock. Its always had Mobil 1 5w-30 run in it with a factory in-radiator engine oil cooler.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Thanks for asking?
I see bob the oil guy had a completely useless thread about castrol that got shut down on page six but not before Castrol got called "Devil's Brew".
Q
Ome on Maaannnn.... dude.....

I worked in oil change pits a lot as a kid/when I was younger and ive seen a lot of oil changed.
A lot.
Heard thousands of vehicles start while underneath them in a pit.

Castrol smells bad for one.
So what?
Well, you/I can tell which vehicles are runnin Castrol goin down the road based on the smell of the oil smoke.
And the rattle they make dry starting after an oil change mmmkay?

My father and I used to argue about it some for another. He had an 85 grand marquis he ran castrol gtx in...a 5 liter Merc..
Not "today's smaller,higher revving engine" why the eff would you think castrol was appropriate i axed.
"Got it on sale"
Only 'get what you pay for' I told him.
I had to listen to him go on and on and on after it hit 200k.

Then it broke.

Oil starved, not flowing in the heads.

You know them 200k miles were high performance filled good times.mmmhmmm. Insurance salesman guy was a regular at the redlight drags dontcha know!

Turns out the engine was so full of sludge it clogged the pick up screen and lunched his race motor. :rolleyes:
True story.
It even had EFI!
Also true.
Devil's brew indeed.
You must be registered for see images attach

A real bad mother.

Thanks for making me type that. Dill-doe. Not a sex toy.
It will be a cold day in hell before I ran Castrol in anything I own but dowatchalike. Got a good deal on it you say?
Found it on sale didjya?
Ohhhhweeee! Your lucky day.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sure that's one mans opinion but it will never change.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks for asking?
I see bob the oil guy had a completely useless thread about castrol that got shut down on page six but not before Castrol got called "Devil's Brew".
Q

I worked in oil change pits a lot as a kid/when I was younger and ive seen a lot of oil changed.
A lot.

So what?
Well, you/I can tell which vehicles are runnin Castrol goin down the road based on the smell of the oil smoke.

My father and I used to argue about it some for another. He had an 85 grand marquis he ran castrol gtx in...a 5 liter Merc..
Not "today's smaller,higher revving engine" why the eff would you think castrol was appropriate i axed.
"Got it on sale"

Then it broke.

You know them 200k miles were high performance filled good times.mmmhmmm. Insurance salesman guy was a regular at the redlight drags dontcha know!

Turns out the engine was so full of sludge it clogged the pick up screen and lunched his race motor. :rolleyes:
True story.
It even had EFI!
Also true.
Devil's brew indeed.

A real bad mother.

It will be a cold day in hell before I ran Castrol in anything I own but dowatchalike. Got a good deal on it you say?
Found it on sale didjya?

damn I was like 80% sure you were NOT talking about the oil, it seemed like some personal feud LOL I was just hyper focusing on what seemed less likely. lol. maybe you and I are too similar in this way.

usually you would have said your mind at least like the devils brew part. but interesting story stuff. i have used the black label full synthetic with good luck before, but not the black label "high mileage" which is not as expensive. there is only one higher tier, the OEM Euro stuff I think. Only way to get 0w30 from them too. Is the stuff your dad used the "white" or "green" package equivalent today? Scotty kilmer said he liked it before he became an absolute troll, but his takes are usually based on extremely individualized cognitions which i could find no pattern for, so Ultimately it means little to know he did hold it in high regard.
I will say that their 0w-40 when reasonably mid service on a car I had not used much till I put that oil in it it still flowed nicely in freezing temps.,

but i felt I was needing to add more oil to my car in summer time specifically due to temperature volatility because I didnt burn oil much noticeably on plugs and i didnt leak much but open the oil cap after some runs and you could "tell" if you know what im saying

but in fairness I am comparing that quite literally only to amsoil of the same weight (10w30 for both) and a brand I used but I dont remember which kind and i wasnt watching the trends

but gen 3 heaton m90 and higher mileage cast iron v6 doesnt exactly make it behave the same as someone elses low compression v8 with dog crap hp and some of the worst EFI in history(that ford your dad had) and some of the most unreliable at that time ignition as well. @Rusty Nail

go forder!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks for asking?
Q

A lot.

So what?

"Got it on sale"

Then it broke.

True story.
It even had EFI!
Also true.
Devil's brew indeed.

A real bad mother.

Found it on sale didjya?

oh and ford had casting issues up the butt for ford blocks and their heads were cracking a lot too. they also caught on to filters need to not drain back and be dry in the 80s. after warranting a lot of vehicles and replacing worn parts ;(

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Are you saying that you are running VR1 20-50 in a 5.3 LS? The clearances and seals are designed to run on 5-30 synthetic... I wouldn't suggest running such a high viscosity oil in it unless you have almost no oil pressure due to heavily worn bearings. My 2011 5.3 is going on 220,000 miles and still runs great. Uses no oil anymore after changing the drivers side valve cover to the new design(also one that doesn't have the pcv baffle drains clogged with carbon) and cleaning the cylinder walls with the AC Delco upper cylinder cleaner and their service bulletin. We used it to pull our travel trailer from Salem, OR to Bear Lake, Utah this summer with zero issues. Its had the transmission and axles rebuilt and upgraded for towing and the cooling system upgraded with a huge front mount, but the engine is bone stock. Its always had Mobil 1 5w-30 run in it with a factory in-radiator engine oil cooler.
the LS engines had a TSB for the cleaning the cylinder walls?
Weird, the Northstar pre 2000 family had that too i bet it was adapted from that lol