Odd steering behvior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Are you going to get a reman steering box? I've wondered how good those would be since I don't think they replace the gears. Just the seals and what not.

And they are only assembled correctly 50% of the time.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I put one in the 85 a few years ago, it came from Autozone and its still doing fine. I think it was around 160 bucks or so. While you are at it get a new high pressure line before it starts leaking.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I put one in the 85 a few years ago, it came from Autozone and its still doing fine. I think it was around 160 bucks or so. While you are at it get a new high pressure line before it starts leaking.

Too late. It was already leaking when I bought the truck. I need a new pump anyhow. It has started squeaking.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Too late. It was already leaking when I bought the truck. I need a new pump anyhow. It has started squeaking.

They always leak, I just put a new hose on my 90 because it was doing the same thing.

If its constantly growling you might change it out, if it squeals right before the steering lock you are golden, they all do that. If you do change it out get a good AC Delco unit off rockauto. I changed out at least 3 cheap power steering pumps from Autozone before I got a decent one, same goes for their alternators.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I never got to the steering system this past weekend. I spent all my time installing the new exhaust.

Anyhoot, I still want a new/reman'd gear box. The pump isn' squeaking all the time, just at full lock, which is good. So, just new hoses and gear box then.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Check your steering box I had same problem on my 91 two wheel suburban turned out I broke one of the bolts from the frame and when I turned right the steering box would pull away from the frame when I turn left it would push the box back and turn correctly worth checking
If its it let me know if the bolt pulled the washer through the frame like it did on mine and the holes to big to put the bolt back in ill let you know how I fixed mine for 6 bucks

89 I'd like to know what your fix was. Mine has a plate between the frame and the steering box that has been welded on....it's about 16-18" long and appears to have been made to fit the truck. The backside holes aren't so pretty though. The plan is to get the steering brace but I thought I would maybe do what you did as well. Mine sheered off an m12 bolt 2 days ago. It wasn't grade 8 and was the bottom rear bolt.

Thanks In Advance

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew45