Odd steering behvior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Greetings,

I bought this '87 Silverado w/ 82K miles about 2 months ago. It has been a great daily driver; however, I think something is up with the steering. The PO claimed all ball-joints were replaced on the front end; but I think they were installed incorrectly or not at all. Anyways, if I turn the steering completely one way or another, I hear popping if the suspension is being worked. Also, the truck seems to change it's own turning radius. Might be me coming from a small sub-compact and now driving a huge truck, but I have the most difficult time turning into parking spots. I can manage much better if I am turning left into a spot; but, the truck seems to want a wider turn if turning right into a parking spot. There have been times when I pull forward from a parking spot to turn left or right and I can't make it out w/o having to back-up and do it again.

I had an '85 with a lowered suspension all around and I don't recall having the same turning issues. So, based on the info I provided, where should I start looking?

Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It could be a number of things. Could be something as simple as worn parts, could be a bad steering box (like a twisted sector shaft), or something as bad as frame damage.

white lightnen

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
check and make sure front cross-member is intact and not allowing frame rail to flex under pressure from steering box.

open the hood, start the truck and turn steering wheel stop-to-stop, while watching under hood for movement.
\
\my brother's 87 had this issue, from an accident and broken rivets. replaced rivets with grade 8 bolts and added 2x2 angle iron crossmember at fornt, drilled and bolted with 3/8 hardened bolts, and probrem solved.

the added crossmember might have been overkill, but factory crossmember had been cut or cracked and welded.

do you notice ply in steering changes? 1/2 turn to the left, then 1 turn to right, then 1 1/2 turns to left and none to right or something similar?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Definitely a problem there. Better get that front end off the ground and start shaking some steering parts around.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
check and make sure front cross-member is intact and not allowing frame rail to flex under pressure from steering box.

open the hood, start the truck and turn steering wheel stop-to-stop, while watching under hood for movement.
\
\my brother's 87 had this issue, from an accident and broken rivets. replaced rivets with grade 8 bolts and added 2x2 angle iron crossmember at fornt, drilled and bolted with 3/8 hardened bolts, and probrem solved.

the added crossmember might have been overkill, but factory crossmember had been cut or cracked and welded.

do you notice ply in steering changes? 1/2 turn to the left, then 1 turn to right, then 1 1/2 turns to left and none to right or something similar?

The steering behavior doesn't change. All I know is that it can turn on a dime going left, but needs a football field turning right. I do hear a bit of popping when the wheels are cranked one way or the other. The PO claims the U/L ball joints were replaced. I really haven't had much time to look at this. I am hoping for a full weekend to look over things. For as cheap as steering parts are, I may start buying replacement parts from LMC.

I'm starting to get the upgrade bug and for as good as this truck performs with 82K on the clock, I really don't want to leave it stock (except for the body maybe).

PS: Sorry for the late reply

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I would check those ball joints and A-frame bushings. The rag joint may be worn out. As suggested, Look closely at the frame where the steer box bolts on it. Also take a good look at the idler arm and steering components. When looking at the truck from the front, do the tires stand up straight. Are both of them pointing straight. If not, that would be a good sign that something is not right.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would check those ball joints and A-frame bushings. The rag joint may be worn out. As suggested, Look closely at the frame where the steer box bolts on it. Also take a good look at the idler arm and steering components. When looking at the truck from the front, do the tires stand up straight. Are both of them pointing straight. If not, that would be a good sign that something is not right.

The PO claims to have had the front end re-aligned after replacing ball joints. When I approach the truck, the tires appear to be pointing straight ahead and standing nearly perpendicular to the body.

Also, what's a rag joint? Thanks again. I won't get to really look at this until Friday or Saturday (weather permitting).

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The rag joint is on the steering shaft usually right before the steering gear box. It will cause play in the steering wheel. It's like a flexible u-joint in the steer shaft. Give it a look over and let us know what you find. Have someone turn the steering wheel white you look at all the steering components.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The rag joint is on the steering shaft usually right before the steering gear box. It will cause play in the steering wheel. It's like a flexible u-joint in the steer shaft. Give it a look over and let us know what you find. Have someone turn the steering wheel white you look at all the steering components.

It has been awhile, but I finally got a look. I can grab the steering shaft and twist it about 1/2" or so either direction. The rag joint moves with shaft. So, the gear box is extremely loose. Before I spend the money for a new box, I'd like to adjust the box itself (sector shaft) to see if the play goes away. I found this video which explains how to remove excess play. I am hoping it will work the same on my box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDLYLDBbWNw

I also found this video to help center up my steering wheel. Hopefully it will apply to my truck as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDLYLDBbWNw

EDIT: I just checked the # of turns left and right and I wonder if I have a quick ratio gear box. I get about 1.5 turns to the right and almost 2 full turns going left.

Last edited:

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The steering behavior doesn't change. All I know is that it can turn on a dime going left, but needs a football field turning right. I do hear a bit of popping when the wheels are cranked one way or the other. The PO claims the U/L ball joints were replaced. I really haven't had much time to look at this. I am hoping for a full weekend to look over things. For as cheap as steering parts are, I may start buying replacement parts from LMC.

I'm starting to get the upgrade bug and for as good as this truck performs with 82K on the clock, I really don't want to leave it stock (except for the body maybe).

PS: Sorry for the late reply

Check your steering box I had same problem on my 91 two wheel suburban turned out I broke one of the bolts from the frame and when I turned right the steering box would pull away from the frame when I turn left it would push the box back and turn correctly worth checking
If its it let me know if the bolt pulled the washer through the frame like it did on mine and the holes to big to put the bolt back in ill let you know how I fixed mine for 6 bucks

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Check your steering box I had same problem on my 91 two wheel suburban turned out I broke one of the bolts from the frame and when I turned right the steering box would pull away from the frame when I turn left it would push the box back and turn correctly worth checking
If its it let me know if the bolt pulled the washer through the frame like it did on mine and the holes to big to put the bolt back in ill let you know how I fixed mine for 6 bucks

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to wait until next weekend (depending on the weather) before taking a closer look. Hopefully, I will find a broken bolt and not a cracked frame. I would be happy to get the steering fixed w/o needing to drop a ton of cash for replacement parts.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

I didn't think I could see the box from the driver side door, but I did. I cranked the wheels left and right full lock and I didn't see the box move a millimeter. So, I guess what I am experiencing is a case of a loose gear box and out-of-center steering wheel. The gear box itself is dry. No indication of leaking fluids except up behind the PSP. Hopefully this weekend, I'll get a chance to get the front end on jacks, remove the tires and attempt to remove some slack from the sector shaft and center up the steering wheel.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I didn't think I could see the box from the driver side door, but I did. I cranked the wheels left and right full lock and I didn't see the box move a millimeter. So, I guess what I am experiencing is a case of a loose gear box and out-of-center steering wheel. The gear box itself is dry. No indication of leaking fluids except up behind the PSP. Hopefully this weekend, I'll get a chance to get the front end on jacks, remove the tires and attempt to remove some slack from the sector shaft and center up the steering wheel.
Well let me know if that fixes just out of curiosity

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
After doing some research, I think I will skip adjusting the gear box since any improper adjustment could cause total failure and a nasty wreck. So, I am considering replacing it this weekend since I will be doing exhaust work anyways. Other than removing the PS pump lines, unbolting the steering shaft and pitman arm, and unbolting it from the frame, what else do I need to do to remove it?

Thanks!

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are you going to get a reman steering box? I've wondered how good those would be since I don't think they replace the gears. Just the seals and what not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew45