OD Green

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How many of you fellas have OD Green rigs? Mine is in need of paint and with this house remodel I just finished I just don't have the scratch to pay for a professional paint job. I would like to do it myself, although with no prior body work experience I have several questions. I bought this truck to beat around in for now with future plans of a restore. I really just want something to protect the sheet metal for now that will look good for a couple years. The body work will be minimal as I don't have any rust and just one noticeable dent next to the passenger side tail light.

Rattle cans or should I buy a gun? (I have a 200 gallon compressor with an additional 500 gallon tank)

Sand all the way down to bare metal and work from there or just down to factory primer?

Clear coat or no?

Being a beginner, would I be better off with a different color? I figured OD green would hide a lot of my imperfections and flaws.

yeol1

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Prep work is the key to a good paint job. Rattle can is fine for a trail rig and I've seen some people who are really good with a rattle can. But if it is something you want to look good from closer then 10 yards get a gun

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The cost of a spray gun and a couple quarts of automotive paint is still cheaper than what it will cost for enough spray cans. And will give you much superior protection.

The spray cans don't leave much thickness as they are mostly comprised of solvent which evaporates after application.

IMO a $10 spray can has like $0.50 worth of paint in it. Just another way to rip us off:)

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I did my green paint job with spray cans, maogre is right your way better off buying a cheap harbor fright gun and some paint, a lot easier than a buncha cans

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Any clear coat will give a better protection for the paint applied.

If you are gonna redo body work or paint later I would just invest in a cheap base coat, clear coat.

Or just get it done right the first time and paint it the way you want it to be in the end.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I cant afford to get it done right the first time right now. I don't do any serious off roading in it, just use it to hunt/fish/camp, but that doesn't mean I don't want it to look nice until I can get it done the way I eventually want it to look. Im just worried about quality. I cant stand the peeling faded paint that's on it now but I don't want to go through all that trouble and it look just as bad when Im done.

Hobbz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Rustoleum.... You can use a roller or a harbor freight spray gun..

Lots of YouTube videos on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is mine in flat black rustoleum

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did you spray that or roll it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobbz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Spray. Cut about 50/50 with paint thinner

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Whats your budget? if you don't mind me asking. There are some good paints out there that I plan to use that I'd recommend

Sent from the dust in front of you!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
This is what I'm doing to the back 1/2 of my truck sometime next week. Rolling it in Monstaliner. I prepped and painted it with a rattle can 6-7 years ago or so, but didn't last that well. And the truck started to rust.

You must be registered for see images attach

I need to protect the bed that just has light surface rust before winter hits. Maybe this winter or next spring I'll get new doors and maybe front fenders then do the front half. I'm hoping it will last a very long time. It should provide excellent protection when I'm off roading against rock chips, scrapes, and anything else.

They have quite a few colors and are coming out with more all the time. I was sent some paint chips since looking at colors thru a monitor is not the most accurate.

http://www.monstaliner.com/forms/monstaliner_colors.htm

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Whats your budget? if you don't mind me asking. There are some good paints out there that I plan to use that I'd recommend

$500-$600 or so at the moment. Will increase the longer I wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have OD Green. It is flat paint, everything "stains" it. Greasy fingers, bird ****, spit. But taking a rag soaked with WD40 makes it a consistent sheen.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
so when you say od green do you mean military green. I am looking for the military desert sand color. where can I find this in gallons not rattle cans. highdesertranger

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Olive green?

Forum statistics