Nv4500 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I picked up a truck last night with a nv4500. Asked what fluid he used in it. I know they are very picky about it from what ive read online. He couldnt really give a straight answer or wasn't sure I dont know. Said whatever parts store sold him. Drove it home an hour and a half just fine mostly. If I drain some fluid out should I be able to tell if it was the right stuff? Not the regular gear lube. Its got almost 200k on it so might be getting close to rebuild anyways or can you put more then that on them for miles? Dont have any history on any work done to trans. If it was wrong stuff can i drain and replace and be ok for a while? I know 5th gear nut has issues from the little reading I did online. Probably something I need to check in to also.

Someone on here did the swap on a square and used a bigger master cylinder reservoir to hold more fluid and maybe a different master cylinder too cant remember who it was. Anyone remember?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I believe they take GM Syncromesh trans fluid. For sure not gear lube.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I believe they take GM Syncromesh trans fluid. For sure not gear lube.[/QUOTE

Yes thats what ive found will I be able to tell a difference? Never had a 4500 before

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes thats what ive found will I be able to tell a difference? Never had a 4500 before

Depends on how familiar you are with the look and smell of fluids. Gear lube is thicker and has that distinctive smell. The color can vary on both, depending on condition.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Depends on how familiar you are with the look and smell of fluids. Gear lube is thicker and has that distinctive smell. The color can vary on both, depending on condition.

Ok ive got some 80w90 left over from the last truck I filled a rearend. ill compare it to whats in there. Not fimiliar with the stuff for the 4500 though. Is it clear like gear lube? Clutch was just replaced and he said he put fluid in then so should be pretty fresh still.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm thinking it will be a thinner viscosity than gear lube. Less rotational drag for emmisions. I could be mistaken, but the m465 might be the last GM manual to run 80-90w. Everything since has been lighter grade oils for mileage.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm thinking it will be a thinner viscosity than gear lube. Less rotational drag for emmisions. I could be mistaken, but the m465 might be the last GM manual to run 80-90w. Everything since has been lighter grade oils for mileage.
Well I got the trans pulled out and I cant see any difference between whats in it and the gear lube Ive got on the shelf. Ones not thicker then the other and to me they smell the same. Its got almost 200k on it anyways so maybe it will just need a rebuild and then ill know forsure what is in it.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Had a little more time today got the top cover off. Idk but from what i can see the gears look really good and its clean in there! Im surprised with the miles that are on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've been through this---twice. First time was claimed to have been rebuilt with new fluid. This was verified because my mechanic brother drove the truck before he pulled the motor for another project. I also got the clutch and everything associated with it which was nearly new still. I spilled some of the fluid when I removed the t-case. It is/was clear and does NOT smell like traditional gear oil. It is very slippery, like having silicone on your fingers. If you spill it on your driveway, it's impossible to get off. On the other hand, I have one that I opened up ( removed from a wrecked 93 ) and as soon as I pulled the plug, I was dissapointed. Out came the nasty smelling, black gear oil that one would find in a rear axle. That one is getting rebuilt so no big loss for a couple hundred bucks. Once the wrong oil impregnates the carbon syncro's they will need to be replaced once you can't shift it any longer. It doesn't hurt the gears, just the syncros. The 5th gear nut is abouat 95% specific to the Dodge versions. Unless your using it behind a diesel and towing alot in 5th gear I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I've been through this---twice. First time was claimed to have been rebuilt with new fluid. This was verified because my mechanic brother drove the truck before he pulled the motor for another project. I also got the clutch and everything associated with it which was nearly new still. I spilled some of the fluid when I removed the t-case. It is/was clear and does NOT smell like traditional gear oil. It is very slippery, like having silicone on your fingers. If you spill it on your driveway, it's impossible to get off. On the other hand, I have one that I opened up ( removed from a wrecked 93 ) and as soon as I pulled the plug, I was dissapointed. Out came the nasty smelling, black gear oil that one would find in a rear axle. That one is getting rebuilt so no big loss for a couple hundred bucks. Once the wrong oil impregnates the carbon syncro's they will need to be replaced once you can't shift it any longer. It doesn't hurt the gears, just the syncros. The 5th gear nut is abouat 95% specific to the Dodge versions. Unless your using it behind a diesel and towing alot in 5th gear I wouldn't worry about it.

The fluid was clear and little gray colored. It didnt stink as bad as rearends Ive pulled apart but had a hint of the gear lube smell.

So would you just put the right fluid in it and run it as is? Its gonna go behind an 8.1l no diesel for me. I read that its a bigger problem with the dodges so maybe this one will be ok as far as the 5th gear goes? I read a lot of different stuff about how many miles guys put on them before they fail. I should only have a couple hundred in this one too if everything works out. Bought the truck to part out and put the motor in my cc for now since the one thats in it has a spun bearing im pretty sure and this one has high miles but ran good.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You said it seemed to drive fine, right? If so, I'd just put the correct fluid in it and run it.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
i always used valvoline manual transmisson fluid in them or pennzoil syncromesh.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Fill it and run it. If it fails in the future, you can address the 5th gear nut for piece of mind while you have it apart changing the syncros. It may last a long time depending how many miles are on it now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20