Nv4500 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik1

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Gmc V2500 (V 20)
Engine Size
Do NOT put synchromesh in your NV4500! trust me. I have done this conversion on my truck that had an SM465(muncie), I researched and researched and lots of people told me to just use gear oil or synchromesh which has what's called a "GL-5" rating and designation. The correct oil to put in an NV4500 is the GL 4 designation which has different additives that work correctly with the type of friction disc packs in that transmission. GM and Mopar have part number designation's for it. GM is "10-4055". Mopar is "4874459"
A friend of mine did an NV4500 conversion and used gear oil and it started slipping and we determined he really needed the GL 4 oil, which unfortunately isn't super cheap but it's not the same oil as "syncromesh".
I've double checked on Mitchell on demand, make sure you put GL-4 oil in. Hope this helps.

hungry joe

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
can I just replace my sm465 with a nv4500? would like the overdrive, I also have a 400 th,with gearvenders od,might use that cause the older I get,i don't want to shift anymore!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
can I just replace my sm465 with a nv4500? would like the overdrive, I also have a 400 th,with gearvenders od,might use that cause the older I get,i don't want to shift anymore!

Yep. I have done it. Is this a 4wd?

hungry joe

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
sorry, been busy,thanks for the reply! its a 2wd 1 ton,1979 non daully.

mgarland

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1985, 1989
Truck Model
K30X2
Engine Size
Big
Do NOT put synchromesh in your NV4500! trust me. I have done this conversion on my truck that had an SM465(muncie), I researched and researched and lots of people told me to just use gear oil or synchromesh which has what's called a "GL-5" rating and designation. The correct oil to put in an NV4500 is the GL 4 designation which has different additives that work correctly with the type of friction disc packs in that transmission. GM and Mopar have part number designation's for it. GM is "10-4055". Mopar is "4874459"
A friend of mine did an NV4500 conversion and used gear oil and it started slipping and we determined he really needed the GL 4 oil, which unfortunately isn't super cheap but it's not the same oil as "syncromesh".
I've double checked on Mitchell on demand, make sure you put GL-4 oil in. Hope this helps.

Erik is exactly correct, the only fluid you should run in the nv 4500 is gl-4 rated gear lube. Gl-5 will attack the synchros in it and I've seen them delaminate and make it almost impossible to get in gear. The person that said something about using a amsoil is also correct. That is all I used in all of my dodges and never had any issues and I was about half price.
Mark

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54