NP833 w OEM Hurst Shifter Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zetan

Reaction score
First Name
Zetan
Truck Year
Truck Model
G25
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
Photos of my 2wd shifter assembly and the 'gold plated' NP833 MM7.
You need a copy of the entire shifter bracket or just the mounting face?

You must be registered for see images attach

zetan

Reaction score
First Name
Zetan
Truck Year
Truck Model
G25
Engine Size
6.2L diesel

4wd trans and 2wd shifter. The angle of the shifter dangle is on the inside of the mount so it sticks out drivers side quite far for the shift rods to line up.

Just for fun I reversed the shifter on the nv4500 and it makes it almost reachable!

zetan

Reaction score
First Name
Zetan
Truck Year
Truck Model
G25
Engine Size
6.2L diesel

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Photos of my 2wd shifter assembly and the 'gold plated' NP833 MM7.
You need a copy of the entire shifter bracket or just the mounting face?

So all of these pics with the bracket, is the your OEM 2wd van shifter for the A833? If so, Van brackets are obviously different from the trucks. Which does make sense due to shifter location.

Here is an angled pic of my OEM shifter bracket and the OEM shifter bolted to the 4x4 A833. You see it's a fairly straight bracket. Then the shifter itself is the spacer to get around the transmission, then the levers are offset outwards even further so the rods get around the transmission. From what I could tell in the Dodge shifters, the levers appeared to be almost straight without any offset, otherwise by looking, seemed to have the same bolt on pattern. I can't gaurentee that though. As said, that's just by eyeballing and comparing pics.

But whatever pics or shots you need of the shifter, brackets, shifter and bracket, on or off the trans, whatever you need to help with your design and fab work, just let me know what you need. If you need some rod length measurement or mounting hole spacing measurements.... Whatever you need, just lemme know. :waytogo: I'd really like to see you get this project up, running and a reality. You've obviously been at it for quite some time.

Attachments

• GM4x4A883shift 001.jpg
    GM4x4A883shift 001.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 155

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I've been emailing with a Hurst rep. He responded to me today. He says the Hurst Competition Plus rebuild kit WILL Rebuild my shifter and your original shifter. He's talking about 2 different model shifters were available. 1 will work, and 1 there are no parts for and not 1 single part of it is interchangeable. He says the one that will work, is the one that has the housing that looks like the Hurst Comp Plus shifter with the grease zerk on it. So the one we want, is the one I have, and the one you had originally. The one we don't want, is the 2wd shifter you have. Also the same shifter on this 4x4 set up. Obviously the shifter you don't want is the one with the square shift stick and that round section that has to go through the bracket. There is no zerk on the unit either so I'm sure that's the one he talking about that they can't offer any support on. I also notice the one that CAN'T be rebuilt with the Hurst Comp Plus kit, also has 3 bolt through the shifter to the mounting plate. The shifter than can be rebuilt, is the one that only has 2 bolts to the mounting plate.

This is the NON Rebuildable shifter that there are no parts for.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the one that IS rebuildable with the Hurst Comp Plus rebuild kit for a little over $100.
attachment.php

I seem to have come by a shifter that's a hybrid of both of the ones you described in this post. This was bolted to the side of a trans out of an '86 k series. It doesn't have the zerk fitting, it has the square shifter, but it only has 2 bolts holding it together.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I seem to have come by a shifter that's a hybrid of both of the ones you described in this post. This was bolted to the side of a trans out of an '86 k series. It doesn't have the zerk fitting, it has the square shifter, but it only has 2 bolts holding it together.

Sadly buddy, that does appear to be the one that is NOT rebuildable. It does actually have the 3 holes, just that one bolt is not used in the 3rd hole. Look at pic #2 you posted.

attachment.php

See this one here that zetan posted? Notice it does not have the 3rd bolt hole and it also does have the zerk.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This bracket looks like those 3 holes on the mm7
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurst-2298-...-65-/161696171028?hash=item25a5d7c414&vxp=mtr

Good shots of a van my6...except the bracket is different than mine!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-A...MY6-/301530810678?hash=item4634a30936&vxp=mtr

I'm a bit confused zertan. Is your 2wd shifter the one posted in the same posts as your 4x4 trans, or the one posted on the aluminum 2wd trans? This one here seems to be the same shifter that is on my 4x4 transmission, and appears to be the rebuildable one with only 2 holes and the grease zerk. It appears to me the only difference there in that shifter and my 4x4 shifter is the mounting bracket to the tailshafts.

attachment.php

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I was afraid of that. Guess I need to get it soaking in a bucket of trans fluid. I'll take it apart regardless, now I want to see exactly what is different between the 2 types. I mean, they both actuate the same 3 shift linkages, so how different can they really be inside? Obviously they're assembled differently, but they still have to go through the same movements.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Something else I'm noticing. The ones that are rebuildable, have the round shift stick. The ones that are NOT, have the squareed off rectangular shift stick.

Here are 2 Round shift stick units. Both with only 2 holes and grease zerk.

Attachments

• 2wdAlumA833a.JPG
    2wdAlumA833a.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 268
  • A883 016b.jpg
    A883 016b.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 238

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Rectangular Squared off Shift Stick, all have 3 holes and NO zerk.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I also notice this feature on the NON rebuildable units that all have 3 holes, No Zerk, a Square Shift Stick, they also have this round part that protrudes through the mounting bracket. All the ones I see that have the Zerk and Round shift stick, DO NOT have this round section that protrudes through the bracket.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Notice the 2 mounting brackets. One being for a 4x4 like my bracket, the other is for a 2wd. Now I don't think the 2wd and 4wd matter for this purpose. Obviously the 2wd and 4wd brackets have a different offset. BUT, notice the bracket like I have has only 2 holes and no round space for the protrusion. The bracket with 3 holes has the round part opening for the shifter to protrude through.

attachment.php

Notice my 4x4 shifter that has only 2 holes, round shift stick, grease zerk, and does not have the round section protruding through the backside of the mounting bracket.

Attachments

• molasses 010a.jpg
    molasses 010a.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 167

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Take a look at post #17 on Page 2 of this thread. See that shifter I posted that was selling on eBay said to be pulled from an 83 Dodge Pick Up. Also, Round Stick, 2 holes, and Zerk. I have a feeling that Dodge shifter will bolt onto your bracket even though your bracket has the round opening. Won't swear to it.

Now one guy I did email, he swore to me the Dodge truck shifters will fit the GM A833 transmissions. I noticed the fingers in the shifter were a bit different. The shift rods are adjustable. The 80's Dodge pick up A833's were also 4 spees with OD where the 3/4 shift positions were flipped, so it would seem to reason a Dodge shifter would work. This is what we're going to have to do to find out what you guys with NON rebuildable shifters can do. We need to find someone willing to take the Dodge shifter back if it don't work.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Look at his Dodge Truck A833 shifter. Look at the backside of the mounting bracket. Notice No round protrusion but it is similar shape to my mounting bracket. Round shift stick, has Zerk, has only 2 bolt holes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Hurst...bar-/301637144557?hash=item463af98fed&vxp=mtr

Extremely similar to the GM rebuildable A833 shifter. I'd imagine the rod lengths will be different though due to where Dodge vs GM mounts the mounting plate to the tailshaft which determines where the shift stick will come through the floor. This will also matter depending on how far GM and Dodge set their engines in reference to the firewall etc. So I doubt the rods will fit. It would be nice to know if it did in deed mount to your bracket, and if you could use your rods with the Dodge Shifter so that you'd have the correct length rods. I know this can work, just a matter of having the parts to play with. Next time I get to Pull A Part, you can bet I'll be looking in the Dodges for an A833 and shifter. If I see one, I'm getting it.

zetan

Reaction score
First Name
Zetan
Truck Year
Truck Model
G25
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
Thanks for the 4x4 shifter pics! This helps a lot.

Ok now I see. The shifter in the ebay pic on the aluminum trans is not exactly the same as mine.

I've got a zerk in the top bolt. total of 3 bolts holding it on.

My shift fingers go are passenger side
whereas your shift fingers are drivers side (inside/outside of the bracket).

I believe our shift patterns are different. I don't usually ask another man this, but...
Can I see your knob?

Looky that, your R is on the driver side, mine is passenger side!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:happy175: Just don't stare at my knob. Just look and get it over with. :lol:

Yep, they are different. so this obviously means its a different shifter all together. Like you said, inside out, as well as the opposite direction too so the R lever is also flipped. I know the Dodges are also like mine. I wonder if yours has to do with being in a van to get the shifter location in the right position so it's not so far back.

Attachments

• A883 005.jpg
    A883 005.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 190

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito