NP833 w OEM Hurst Shifter Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm sticking to what I've been saying all along, I think we'll find that a Dodge shifter will be of alot of help to us. The good news if this is true, Dodge used the A833 in their 1/2 ton trucks as late as 90. That gives us a few more years of hope. I'm going to upload the pics here since ebay takes them down after a month then we have a dead link/post without seeing the pics.

I have found 2 Dodge truck shifters on eBay. One of the saying it was pulled off an 83 Dodge truck. Now look at these pics and compare them to our 4x4 shifters and try to tell me they are different. Other than the shift stick angle, and mounting plate to trans. Look at the shifter itself. If so, let me know here because I'm missing it.

Here's the ebay link titled

MOPAR A833 Dodge 4 SPEED SHIFTER , LINKAGE & MOUNTING PLATE TRUCK RAMCHARGER $99 + Shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-A833-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e6faec39&vxp=mtr

Attachments

• DodgeRamShifter883a.jpg
    DodgeRamShifter883a.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 309
  • DodgeRamShifter883b.jpg
    DodgeRamShifter883b.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 258
  • DodgeRamShifter883c.jpg
    DodgeRamShifter883c.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 241

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Attachments

• Dodge83RamShifter883a.jpg
    Dodge83RamShifter883a.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Dodge83RamShifter883b.jpg
    Dodge83RamShifter883b.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Dodge83RamShifter883c.jpg
    Dodge83RamShifter883c.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 212

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And I still love all the info here about the 2wd Chevy A833 and what this guy put it and read his story. Oh but it just ask some, it's a weak POS transmission. I think not.

Some good shifter pics in this one too.

http://www.classicjunkyard.com/new_process_a833.htm

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's the other thing about the Dodge trucks. It was pretty common for them to use the A833 in their manual transmission trucks, especially the Crooked Slant 6 trucks. So if you see an older Dodge, from like 77-90, that was a manual transmission, it's a good chance it has this shifter in it. Don't pass up the Dodge trucks looking for a shifter in a Pull A Part DIY Used Auto Parts yard is the point I'm making. We'll have much better luck finding it in the Dodge than a GM truck. Because it was also more common in the Dodge, if the shifter portion is indeed the same, I say there's a good chance Dodge may still carry the shifter or at least maybe a rebuild kit for it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is another one. This is the one the ad says it's pulled from an 83 Dodge PU.

DODGE TRUCK HURST 4 SPEED SHIFTER WITH MOUNT - RODS - HOUSING $99 FREE SHIPPING

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-TRUCK...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ef587491&vxp=mtr

I'd really hate to tell you to buy this one @tsailer2 because if it didn't work... But I'd almost bet this shifter would bolt to your 4x4 bracket. I'd really expect this one to work too. The guy says it was from an 83 truck and pulled in 93. That means it only had 10 years use. Rather than 25-30 like our trucks. If I had cash to spare I'd buy the damn thing just to put this curiosity to rest.

I played with my shifter a bit this afternoon, it's not feeling all the good either. I also found my transmission is stuck in Reverse. The guy I bought it front did admit to taking the side cover off, so hopefully he just has the forks in the wrong place. He also admitted he just hand bolted on the shifter and didn't know if he had the levers in the right position. He didn't. He had the 1-2 and the 3-4 backwards.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And look as this pic @tsailer2 . You see what I'm seeing here? And this is a 4x4 unit OBVIOUSLY. Also look at the stick. The stick is the squared one, not the round one. Do you see that bracket how the round portion of the shift is recessed and going thru the bracket. So now I wonder, was this factory, or did someone do what you're having to do. That shifter is clearly the style of the one that you say came off of a 2wd and won't work for you. Must be an OEM bracket out there for that style shifter. You know these transmissions ran from 81-87. They could just be year model differences. All you might need is to find the 4x4 bracket for that style shifter. Mine is like your 4x4 shifter, without the recess and with a round stick instead of square.

This guy was selling this whole compete set up for $400.

Attachments

• Complete4sell400dollars.jpg
    Complete4sell400dollars.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 473

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok, so now that you read all that. I do see why the Dodge shifter won't work. Not going to say we can't rob parts for the Dodge shifter though. I got that one eBay seller to send me pics from the behind of the shifter to see the offsets. Comaping them to our offsets. There's where the problem is. Notice ours have the offset otherwise they'd hit the transmission housing.
First pic is our 4x4 shifters from behind.

Second pic is the Dodge A883 Pick up Shifter.

Other than the damn finger offsets, they are the same shifter though. Down to the grease zerk. Which does mean, the Dodge rebuild kit will work for ours.

Attachments

• GM4x4A883shift 009.jpg
    GM4x4A883shift 009.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 212
  • DodgeRamShifter883d.JPG
    DodgeRamShifter883d.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 231

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

This guy responded to me, claiming this DODGE shifter works on the GM trucks. I sent him pics of our shifters with the offset and asked him how it was possible. He said to trust him, it works, just google Chrysler A883 pics and I will see plenty of pics showing the Dodge shifter on the GM transmissions. REALLY???
Needless to say, he hasn't got me convinced and I think he's full of ****.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've been emailing with a Hurst rep. He responded to me today. He says the Hurst Competition Plus rebuild kit WILL Rebuild my shifter and your original shifter. He's talking about 2 different model shifters were available. 1 will work, and 1 there are no parts for and not 1 single part of it is interchangeable. He says the one that will work, is the one that has the housing that looks like the Hurst Comp Plus shifter with the grease zerk on it. So the one we want, is the one I have, and the one you had originally. The one we don't want, is the 2wd shifter you have. Also the same shifter on this 4x4 set up. Obviously the shifter you don't want is the one with the square shift stick and that round section that has to go through the bracket. There is no zerk on the unit either so I'm sure that's the one he talking about that they can't offer any support on. I also notice the one that CAN'T be rebuilt with the Hurst Comp Plus kit, also has 3 bolt through the shifter to the mounting plate. The shifter than can be rebuilt, is the one that only has 2 bolts to the mounting plate.

This is the NON Rebuildable shifter that there are no parts for.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the one that IS rebuildable with the Hurst Comp Plus rebuild kit for a little over $100.
attachment.php

Ferdwerd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Re: NP883 w OEM Hurst Shifter Problems

Awesome I have the one with the grease fitting.
So I can just call up and order the kit for around 100. ? If that's the case I will probably try and get one tomorrow.
Thanks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Awesome I have the one with the grease fitting.
So I can just call up and order the kit for around 100. ? If that's the case I will probably try and get one tomorrow.
Thanks

$105 and $9 shipping I think it is. I'd have to look again. But here's the link to his ebay ad. I wish you were close. I'd love to come over and get in on that build. But, maybe we can get you to take plenty of pics and put together a How To write up for the forum. I'd do it, but it might be at the turn of the century before I get funds for a kit to do it. I may do the rebuild on the trans fairly quick though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HURST-COMP-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item462333fc25&vxp=mtr

Ferdwerd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Just purchased the kit:)
Should be here Thursday.
Will try and document the process to best of my ability haha