NP205 Pops out of low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honest Bob

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
LS 4.8
I have a 32 spline figure 8 np205 mounted to a 4l80e using a nwfab 4l80e adapter, and a twin stick including new modified shift rails from jbcustom that keeps popping out of low (4x4 low and rear low, I havent tried fwd low). It is my first attempt at rebuilding an np205, I put in new bearings, seals, and shift collars. I suspect the teeth on the gears where the shift collars go on are worn out. I dont know the origin of the np205 but I suspect it had a hard life.

Opinions? Can I still get all these parts or do I need to start looking for a replacement?

Are the internal parts the same between a round pattern and a figure 8 np205?

I have a spare round pattern 91 np205 with the 4l80e adapter. I could use that tcase but I am afraid Im gonna have to have driveshaft lengths modified again.

You must be registered for see images attach

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Teeth don't look horrible. Have you tried unhooking shift linkage and putting it in low manually from underneath?

Honest Bob

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
LS 4.8
i have not tried that! Thanks for the tip.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had a similar issue on a 203 and it was also the linkage. Soaked it in PB Blaster until I could free it up and then worked it back and forth everyday for a few weeks. The truck had been sitting outside for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507