New/used transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j-dogg

Reaction score
yes the pressure washer is gonna be my savior,i just looked at it today.im gonna set up that a frame cab and bed picker thing and start sandblasting my frame for a frame off.and clean up my engine compartment

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Tell you what GMsquare, I can take it apart and ship it one gear at a time over there haha.
hahah, I hear thats how some of our servicemen get AK-47's shipped home. They confiscate it from a thug over there, then disassemble it, then ship it home a couple parts at a time every week. Then when they get home form deployemnt, they have a complete AK-47. How true? I don't know.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
hahah, I hear thats how some of our servicemen get AK-47's shipped home. They confiscate it from a thug over there, then disassemble it, then ship it home a couple parts at a time every week. Then when they get home form deployemnt, they have a complete AK-47. How true? I don't know.

Thats an awesome idea! If the AK was like my SKS you could ship one in just 3 boxes. I think the only thing valuable on this trans is the case and maybe shafts.:grd:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I got one of the seals on the bottom pto covers, and the two on the back done. I had to call my dad to figure out how the top comes off, got it off and now I cant get the mother ****** back on!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I got one of the seals on the bottom pto covers, and the two on the back done. I had to call my dad to figure out how the top comes off, got it off and now I cant get the mother ****** back on!
You set it on top, get the shift forks kinda where they go, then slam hard as you can with a 12lb sledege hammer !!! No No No !!! Be cautious of the shift forks and where and what they are doing. They can easily do damge if not set in the drums properlys. I do not recall having a big issue building one of these. But man, its been over 20 years now since I worked on one. Don't force anything. Lemme check into a couple things and get back to you. Hopefully in 15min or so. Gonna do a little refreshing and see if I can recall anything.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
My Dad instructed me to put it half way to reverse so the forks slip off and it worked great. Problem is I messed with the forks after i got it off and they seem bound up now, i cant get the shifter to move around now, I got the transmission In reverse, the reverse gear is the single one way at the bottom I found out, all by itself.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK, and you are sure you got the right forks in the right places, and on the shift rails in the correct location? I am still checking, not find the info I think I have. I hope its not on the other computer, cuz it don't have a working video card now.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Im not sure what exactly I jammed, I was playing with the shifter forks and now they dont move. The trans is now in reverse I just cant get the shifter forks to budge so I can align them. I ran out of daylight, spent all mother ****** day trying to get my cdl back so I am blaming it on that.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No matter what you blame it on, just chill on it though. Its easy to get frustrated with crap like this, and then you find you have F'ed something up. I am not finding my info I thought I had, its got to be on the other comptuer. But I was still looking for some like info on the interent and not finding it. I am thinking your dad had the right trick, using that fork in R position, but everything else needs to be in N position. So what can happen if you have the forks on either of the rails in say 1st or 2nd, or 3rd or 4th, then you actually have the trans in a forward gear and reverse at the same time, and that can't be. Just like you can't be in 1st and 3rd position on the rails at the same time. I am even looking for pics to jog my memeory, and thinking I might be confusing side shifter for cover like a Muncie M21 or M22.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dang it, found some info, but in a book, so I gotta type it, so here goes,

"Move all transmission gears to N position, EXCEPT reverse idler gear, which should be engaged approx 3/8 inch. (Leading Edge of the Reverse idler gear taper lines up with the front of edge of 1st gear). The shift forks must slide into their respective positions on the synchro clutch sleeves and the Reverse Idler Gear.

After that, I do beleive the cover will drop right into place, and torque it to spec. I don't have the spec here.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Thanks for that, I figured out the gears have to be in neutral for it to go into reverse, I just have to figure out how to unbind the shifter forks, I moved the reverse one and now nothing moves haha. What a masterpiece that transmission, this is the first time I looked inside one. Thats good info on the gear contact, that will definitely help me in the morning when I go slap this thing back together.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Update on the transmission: This thing is pissing me off to no end, I thought this would me the most simple gasket to change but hell no! I studied the shifting forks and positioned the reverse gear so everything should drop together and it did. Only problem is the reverse fork missed its mark and now the piece of **** is stuck in reverse and I cant get the lid back off. DAMN IT! I guess the next move is look for schematics on the forks to figure out which one needs to be where for reverse to move far enough to come out.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Update on the transmission: This thing is pissing me off to no end, I thought this would me the most simple gasket to change but hell no! I studied the shifting forks and positioned the reverse gear so everything should drop together and it did. Only problem is the reverse fork missed its mark and now the piece of **** is stuck in reverse and I cant get the lid back off. DAMN IT! I guess the next move is look for schematics on the forks to figure out which one needs to be where for reverse to move far enough to come out.
I have an exploded view sheet of the SM465 around here somewhere from the dealership, but I doubt it would be much help. Dotted lines showing this goes there, etc.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I have an exploded view sheet of the SM465 around here somewhere from the dealership, but I doubt it would be much help. Dotted lines showing this goes there, etc.

Thanks for offering but your exactly right, I have been looking at a few diagrams and still cant gather what exactly happen.

Im thinking about just pulling the one out of my truck and looking down inside it to figure out what could have went wrong. Something is blocking the reverse fork from coming out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue