New (to me) Air Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Opened up the tools section of CL Saturday for the first time in a while. First item listed was a Rand 4000 5hp 60 gallon air compressor. Owner mentioned that the pump probably needs a rebuild as you can hear it leak down. I heard it run but didn't let it go a full cycle as I already knew there was a problem. I gave him his asking price and started to load it. As we started to move it we (my son and I) discovered that he had plumbed an extension for the tank drain and the fitting going into the tank was cracked out. Obviously we weren't going to hear it reach cut off that way anyway. My son grabbed the drain pipe and then handed it to me, guess that is all the way done now. I did notice oil all the way around the reed valve but it doesn't appear to have dripping anywhere around there.

Anyway, we loaded it up and headed for home with it. I called up a buddy and we swung by there on the way home. Using one of his easy outs we pulled the rest of the drain fitting and he handed me a spare petcocok he had lying around. We got it the rest of the way home and tried to drain the last of the water out. It didn't take too long but there is enough rust scaled off in the tank that it hindered the flow of both air and water. I haven't fired it up at home yet as I don't have the right plug/outlet interface. I knew I had 220 in my shop but I never paid attention to it as I had no 220v tools. So I finally took a good look at what I have and am just shaking my head at what the PO did when he built this shop. I have a 30 Amp breaker going to a 50 Amp plug, lovely. Today I hope to get the parts to wire it up so I can fire it up at home and see if the pump is really leaking.

The bad news is that compressor is old enough I haven't been able to find a rebuild kit for it yet. If the pump is bad I may have to replace it.

All in all though, not bad for $50.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Well, crap. I picked up a new cord and plug today and was going to get it all wired up this afternoon when I discovered that I need some spade connectors to make the connection at the compressor. Guess I don't get to try it out quite yet. Hopefully I can grab connectors while out tomorrow.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
That's a heck of a deal for $50, even if you have to rebuild the pump. Nice find!

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I hope so. I'm really hoping not to have to replace the pump. Guess I'll find out later. Even so it has a good tank and a good motor. Worst case scenario is I'm off to a good start. I now own 3 air compressors that I am into for a total of $225. Might be time to unload one if this thing works.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Might be too old to be useful but it's worth checking into.

[yt]F2_miB3hcjM[/yt]

I think that compressor came with a Devilbiss AC-0171 pump. If you haven't been searching under that give it a try. The 0171 is obsolete but a few parts are still available. The replacement unit is the N076027 but it's around $450.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Might be too old to be useful but it's worth checking into.

[yt]F2_miB3hcjM[/yt]

I think that compressor came with a Devilbiss AC-0171 pump. If you haven't been searching under that give it a try. The 0171 is obsolete but a few parts are still available. The replacement unit is the N076027 but it's around $450.

Thanks, I'll try to get a hold of them tomorrow.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So when do we get to see pictures of this rascal?

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I finally got it wired up this morning. I ran it up to 60 PSI and heard air leaking. CRAP! Wait, that is coming from the bottom of the tank. GREAT! Tightened the petcock and the leak went away. Ran it up to 100 PSI and turned it off. CRAP! Air leaking in the pump. I haven't figured it out for sure yet but I don't feel it coming through the housing anywhere. I may or may not be able to get parts for it.

Ingersoll-Rand called me today and told me I should just buy a new Air Compressor. He did give me the background on the compressor and why it was discontinued. It was a budget model that was built for Pay n Pak and Costco back in the day. They also made 2 and 3 HP models that had a flawed tank. Those tanks were known to rupture and so they were recalled and the line was made obsolete. The 5 HP model I have has a good tank, no worries there. It was also built with an aluminum compressor pump (I've yet to verify that).

I checked out General Air Compressor, INC (thank you @skysurfer ) and they have parts for SOME of the 5 HP variants. Unfortunately, they can't pull up specific parts based on my Model and Serial numbers. I actually need to tear it apart and give him the bore size and then figure out the ring pattern to determine if they have parts that will work.

I would really like to think that it is just the reed valves going bad but if that is a 27 year old aluminum pump, I'm guessing the rings are about shot. Anyway, before I tear it down I need to finish cleaning up my shop. It looks like a bomb went off in there and I can't find half my tools.

You must be registered for see images attach

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I would like o put my two cents in regarding the air leaking. Is there a check valve between the pump and the tank? If i pumped up quickly enough for you and the only concern is the leak down add a check valve in the copper line and run it until it doesn't go anymore. Then look for a different compressor and reuse the motor and tank.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I would like o put my two cents in regarding the air leaking. Is there a check valve between the pump and the tank? If i pumped up quickly enough for you and the only concern is the leak down add a check valve in the copper line and run it until it doesn't go anymore. Then look for a different compressor and reuse the motor and tank.

That's much better than the suggestion I had in mind. I was just going to say ignore the leakdown and run it :Insane:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
That should already have an oem check valve on the end of the copper line leading into the tank. You said there was rust in the tank, it's possible the check valve is fouled and just needs to be cleaned, or you can get a new one for around $20. I suspect the compressor is in decent shape if it built pressure to 100 before you shut it off. Of course, you didn't say how long it took to get to 100 psi.:shrug:

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
It runs up to pressure in a reasonable time. I didn't time it but it was comparable to my buddy's 7 year old Husky single stage 60 gallon. It cuts off around 118 PSI and I can live with that.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Runner till she blows and just find a new pump I've built a few

Forum statistics