Crazy Air Compressor Idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I just like making stuff. I have 2 big Kohler generators I have 1 5kw coleman generator and a smaller 4 stroke generator and almost forgot 1 of those little hf 2 stroke tailgating generators. That didn't stop me from building this.
You must be registered for see images attach

I call it the hillbilly generator the Honda motor spins the gm alternator which charges the 3 boat batteries and a big inverter converts it to 110. The cool thing is it doesn't have to run constantly.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You guys are sick,and have made my project even more perverse. I've got a Eaton m90 supercharger laying around. So a 4 cylinder air compressor on 8psi boost. Mwahaha

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Agreed… Twin screws are definitely the cat’s meow. But what about a set of belt driven screws force feeding air into the cylinders! Even better IMHO

You must be registered for see images attach

A guy I worked with had a T shirt I really liked. It said "turbos are cool, but I rather be blown".

Reactions: WFO

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Prior to the Ford Small Block, they used early Chrysler Hemi. The owner of PAW used to look for those compressors for hot rod engines.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
A guy I worked with had a T shirt I really liked. It said "turbos are cool, but I rather be blown".
Lol… I had a very similar one I got at the Red Bluff Nitro Nationals (top fuel boat races) about 20 years ago. They haven’t even had the Nationals in red bluff in what feels like a lifetime, used to be every Memorial weekend. Damn California politics and droughts.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
small block fords in 199..4? changed firing order

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
If you're setting this up as a "Utility Station", consider using the PS pump for hydraulics source with a little bit of fittings, filters, and reservoirs. Hydraulic jack or ram might be convenient at times for frame straightening etc. Doing something similar to above "Hillbilly generator" would be easy enough, getting additional alternator(s) on it might make for high output 12V source, add another large inverter to convert that extra 12V to 120/240V power if you are remote. 4 cylinders would be plenty to power any/all of that, I'd imagine.

Not that it would work for blasting, but don't discount the ability of an AC compressor to be used for air compression. One option is what the offroad guys do, take a York style compressor with clutch and get 3-5 cfm at any pressure you want, but 3-5 cfm might be all you get. Another approach I'm looking into is taking a residential style scroll compressor and plumbing it to your existing tank setup. I happen to have a spare 3 ton compressor from an old unit that I plan to wire up. Ought to be fairly quiet, and I think it would build pressure pretty quickly. Lots of folks use the small fridge or window unit compressors for "silent" compressors for airbrush work or the occasional tire inflation in apartments or basement workshops with too many neighbors close by. Just a thought that you might be able to do something with sometime.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
And if you REALLY want to have fun, I'd guess you could run that Eaton blower on 2 cylinders and compress air with the other 6. There would be vibrations and custom parts galore to keep yourself entertained! Or the more responsible option would be to overdrive the heck out of the blower and feed it to both the combustion and compression sides of the engine. More power on the one side, and double the CFM on the other.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@,hunter 79764 I've done the York compressor back in 1985 when I bought my first little air compressor a 3/4hp craftsman that my neighbor broke the crank in by cranking the psi up to 90lbs,the York would do it the little craftsman pump said nope. 1st big compressor I bought started knocking so I used a big commercial refrigerant compressor it worked its been so long ago I don't remember why I quit using that,maybe just wasn't needed when I bought last compressor. Even did regulated co2 for awhile, I moved to the country,so I could have all the toys I want and make all the noise I want. Dangit can't remember enough about the refrigerant compressor to say much. I can tell you the york compressors are real good and cheap, 3 tack welds on the clutch and good to go. The co2 tank are a pita. Great when theyre full,suck when you gotta get em filled. Good luck with your compressor, wish I remembered why I quit using mine.

For any of you that might read this and decide you want to try this. You want a York compressor because they have a separate oil reservoir instead of using oil in the freon for lubrication,a sbc valve cover breather makes a good air cleaner for the inlet. Using refrigerator etc. Compressors a cheap plastic fuel filter and a short chunk of fuel hose makes a good air filter.

Last edited:

captianworkbench

Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This also reminds me of a article I read in the Hagerty newsletter a while back. There was a fellow/company named Smith back before WWII that took 4cyl model A engines and made a special head for them. It basically created a two cylinder engine driving a two cylinder compressor. The company was quite successful up until the old engines started to become scarce.

So, it has been done before, and if you have a bunch of junk lying around go for it. Otherwise I would just go buy a compressor.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
This also reminds me of a article I read in the Hagerty newsletter a while back. There was a fellow/company named Smith back before WWII that took 4cyl model A engines and made a special head for them. It basically created a two cylinder engine driving a two cylinder compressor. The company was quite successful up until the old engines started to become scarce.

So, it has been done before, and if you have a bunch of junk lying around go for it. Otherwise I would just go buy a compressor.

I have several air compressors I just like building big ridiculous junk when I am bored/ have spare time.

73cheyenne

Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The problem with using an automotive cylinder head as a compressor is that the compression ratio is too low. If the engine develops 120psi compression, and you want 120psi output pressure, you get zero air output. Air compressors have almost zero chamber volume at the top of the stroke so all the air goes out past the exhaust valve.
You have to make a new cylinder head, probably with reed valves, to make this work. I tried to convert a small single cylinder engine into a compressor once, so I learned the hard way. Good luck with your project.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
We rented a jackhammer for work, that came with a compressor on a small trailer. The compressor was a Ford V8. One bank of cylinders had a normal head, and ran as a 4 cylinder, and the other bank had a custom looking head, and ran as the compressor.
That might have been a Smith. I used to have one, it worked really good but I couldn’t find a carb for it so I scrapped it. Now I wish I had it, as it really was reliable. Had a Ford 289 I think. I might just see if I can find one on EBay. I thought it was too complicated to fix it if something went wrong, but knowing what I do now about unloader valves I could probably keep one going. If you build one check out Conrader unloader valves. They’ve been making them here in the US for many years.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
I rebuilt two 1957 Ingersoll Rand compressors, for a combined cfm of 40. One was 17 the other a 23. I ran a hose from one to the other with a check valve in it. It ran my blaster with a 3/16 nozzle good enough but another 10 or 20 cfm’s would have been best. There’s a company in Cal. that sells cranks, rods, everything you need for the old IR pumps. I put 13 HP Honda motors on both mine with the Conrader pilot unloader valves. It works fine but that Smith put out four times the air. Enough to run a big jackhammer easy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120