Crazy Air Compressor Idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Why not just add an extra auxiliary tank to your compressor? Not knocking your idea. I added a 30 gallon air tank to my existing 30 gallon compressor and it does everything I need it to.
But, as soon as the compressor comes on, what it makes is basically all you have. The extra storage is awright for general use, but for sand blasting it does not increase the out put of the compressor.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Probably be cheaper, eaiser maybe better to go get 3 or 4 of those harbor freight v twin single stage compressors and just run them with the v8 or a i6 or4?

Edit to add: @SirRobyn0, It can be quite noticeable when one of those tire aired thru a spark plug pump blows, and there is a spark at just the right time. I really miss real gasoline in engines and corn whiskey under the seat.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Why not just add an extra auxiliary tank to your compressor? Not knocking your idea. I added a 30 gallon air tank to my existing 30 gallon compressor and it does everything I need it to.
My tank is 60 my 2nd tank is 80. This is a big industrial sandblaster. It uses some air!

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
We rented a jackhammer for work, that came with a compressor on a small trailer. The compressor was a Ford V8. One bank of cylinders had a normal head, and ran as a 4 cylinder, and the other bank had a custom looking head, and ran as the compressor.
I was going to say this same thing.
I ran a jackhammer long ago that used a 302 Ford that was split in half.
One side was the engine and the other was the air compressor.

It worked exceptionally well.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Probably be cheaper, eaiser maybe better to go get 3 or 4 of those harbor freight v twin single stage compressors and just run them with the v8 or a i6 or4?

Edit to add: @SirRobyn0, It can be quite noticeable when one of those tire aired thru a spark plug pump blows, and there is a spark at just the right time. I really miss real gasoline in engines and corn whiskey under the seat.
find a belt driven compressor and use a 20hp kohler from a snowmobile in a time long time ago 5000 rpm for maximum PSI :)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@WFO @ catbox. I didn't get super in depth but since u guys brought up the trailer,I was already thinking about using the front of the c I'm making a trailer out of ,to make a trailer out of the front 1/2 also,there's my radiator mount,engine mount etc. And although a special head would be cool. I think a custom ground cam would be more budget friendly.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Edit to add:
Volumetric efficiency is probably between 0.60-0.80, depending on how soft the valve springs etc. Raising compression ratio could be done with clay etc in the combustion chamber, since it won't see much real heat.

Also the mechanical limits and clearances would be the only factors limiting the CR of the compressor cylinders. Since there isn't an air/fuel mixture detonation wouldn't be a concern.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Been doing a ton of research this isn't as crazy of an idea as I thought.Lots of engines,kits,homebrewed stuff,etc. Found out why they use ford and some Chrysler engines it's the firing order is right. But not a huge deal because if I'm having a cam ground anyway,if I do a 4/7 swap it will be ford firing order. Which BTW next street engine I do will be 4/7 swapped also. Oh and figured out how to make Reed valve head for it.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Been doing a ton of research this isn't as crazy of an idea as I thought.Lots of engines,kits,homebrewed stuff,etc. Found out why they use ford and some Chrysler engines it's the firing order is right. But not a huge deal because if I'm having a cam ground anyway,if I do a 4/7 swap it will be ford firing order. Which BTW next street engine I do will be 4/7 swapped also. Oh and figured out how to make Reed valve head for it.
Do tell about the reed valves

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
No! Well okay . If make a 2 piece head ,two flat aluminum plates stacked,in between the top and bottom halves I can put my reed valves and raise the static compression at the same time.Now from what I'm reading 3 smaller holes will out perform 1 large hole so 3 holes for intake 3 holes for pressure, controlled by Reed valves. I'll have to do some thinking planning brain storming I may have to mill some cooling passages in the bottom plate. IDK yet.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
3 smaller holes will out perform 1 large hole

Yeah, I prefer smaller holes too. Never was able to touch the side on the large ones.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
We rented a jackhammer for work, that came with a compressor on a small trailer. The compressor was a Ford V8. One bank of cylinders had a normal head, and ran as a 4 cylinder, and the other bank had a custom looking head, and ran as the compressor.

Grimmer Schmidt 175 V-351W Portable Air Compressor, 989 Hrs Showing, 175 CFM 100 PSI, V-8 Ford Motor Block, (4) Cylinders Compress Air, (4) Cylinders Fire, Gas 12-Volt System, 14" Tires, NOTE: Not Running At Time Of Listing, Needs Head Gasket

You must be registered for see images attach

Do tell about the reed valves

Two reed valves for each cylinder. One lets air in, the other lets air out. Most all piston air compressor work this way.

I would think this modified Ford 351 has a re-balanced crank shaft. So yes you could do it, but just rent a 175 CFM twin screw machine and blast your frame.

For air volume, piston compressors are dinosaurs. Twin screw pumps are the industry standard for durability and performance.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I like making or buying things, that way I can use them anytime I want too. I understand most compressors use reed valves I just didn't see an easy way to add them to a sbc. What I was saying about three holes for each function was just for increased airflow,like multi valve engines.I figured out how to do reed on sbc. Thanks, oh and a bunch of Motors don't need rebalancing due to the firing order. If I build sbc I will need to get a cam with 4 and 7 swapped so it will be a 4 cylinder with the correct firing order on the gasoline side.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
For air volume, piston compressors are dinosaurs. Twin screw pumps are the industry standard for durability and performance.
Agreed… Twin screws are definitely the cat’s meow. But what about a set of belt driven screws force feeding air into the cylinders! Even better IMHO

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dave84