New Air Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I need a new (larger) compressor. As odd as this is, my wife is telling me to get one and I'm the one not wanting to spend any $$$ (because I dont have any - lol). Been looking at a single stage 80 gal Ingersol Rand; there's also a brand called Mega that is an 80 gal 2-stage. Both made in USA and both have fairly decent reviews. Biggest difference is the Mega is 20% cheaper and their extended warranty is longer and cheaper than the IR. Used to think IR was the bees-knees but have heard of issues the last few years as everyone races to the bottom.

My 30 gal compressor handles the air tools ok (except air sanders), but other than primers, I dont think it has the oomph to paint a car or truck very well. Only 2HP doesn't help.

What are you fellas using and how do you like it?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Many of the IR compressors reported to have issues are from "Big Box Stores," they have the buying power to spec their own models of stuff like compressors. TSC, Walmart Etc. are known for paying a company to build a cheaper version of what is sold everywhere else, they will have their own model numbers even.

Its been a while since I shopped around but these guys seemed to have good info and a huge selection:
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Craigs List, Market Place Build your own. Have heard alot positive about the big Harbor Freight v compressor. Have one and all the parts, ain;t all together yet. I've not had any luck with IR, from TSC. Nor have I ever understood the need for a 2 stage compressor. Understand at times a 1 inch impact and a 175 psi pushing it. Generally. 90 ish psi and plenty of it is what I want.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've had a bunch of them,bells and whistles blah,blah,blah The only one I can't kill is my home built one. Bought a pump from a guy that rebuilt pumps,bought a new motor from grainger. Now that I think about this the pumps are probably Chineese and so are the Motors. So anyway go back in time to about 1983,look in the paper for a guy that seels rebuilt pumps,then head to grainger.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Many of the IR compressors reported to have issues are from "Big Box Stores," they have the buying power to spec their own models of stuff like compressors. TSC, Walmart Etc. are known for paying a company to build a cheaper version of what is sold everywhere else, they will have their own model numbers even.

Its been a while since I shopped around but these guys seemed to have good info and a huge selection:
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com
When the same model at TSC is almost double every place else, I kind of wondered if they aren't doing the Walmart stunts. Even the Mega that looks good is $600 less than Home Depot. LG took a full size page out in the NYT several years ago to explain the high failure rates of their TVs sold at Walmart - seems WM wanted them cheapened (smaller power supplys, cheaper heat sinks) to meet a price point.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Craigs List, Market Place Build your own. Have heard alot positive about the big Harbor Freight v compressor. Have one and all the parts, ain;t all together yet. I've not had any luck with IR, from TSC. Nor have I ever understood the need for a 2 stage compressor. Understand at times a 1 inch impact and a 175 psi pushing it. Generally. 90 ish psi and plenty of it is what I want.
230 PSI sure is nice for beading tires, combine it with 80-100 gallon tank and a decent CFM regulated down to a usable pressure and it’s just right.

I wouldn’t have access to such a beast if not for grandpa owning a body shop for 50 years. When the shop burned down dad inherited the beast and I inherited his old unit.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Two-stage over single stage. Oil over oiless. One thing to check is what rpm they run at to achieve the rated cfm. Some run at 3450 rpm, while the better units run at 1725 rpm which makes for a much quieter compressor. Also, try to find out where the pumps are made. The HF unit I have came with a U.S. made Century motor and a good pump made in Italy, but a few years ago HF switched to a new V-style pump and I haven't bothered to research how the updated style is holding up. People assume that HF means China, but their 60 gal. units come from the same factory in South Carolina as BelAire compressors.

When I researched compressors a few years ago I found that Husky and some of the larger Kobalt compressors are made by Campbell Hausfeld. The pumps on them used to be made in the U.S. but not anymore. The Mega brand you mentioned sounds interesting, and as long as there's a way to get parts if/when something goes wrong, I would consider that a good choice.

Try not to blow ALL your money on the compressor. Things like air dryers, retractable hose reels, and automatic tank drain valves make for a much nicer owner experience. I ended up spending more on two refrigerated air dryers (one for each stage) than I did on the compressor, but my air tools and blast cabinet appreciate the lack of moisture and will live much longer lives.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
230 PSI sure is nice for beading tires, combine it with 80-100 gallon tank and a decent CFM regulated down to a usable pressure and it’s just right.

I wouldn’t have access to such a beast if not for grandpa owning a body shop for 50 years. When the shop burned down dad inherited the beast and I inherited his old unit.
I get that. I was refering of a "lower budget" home shop type compressor.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I get that. I was refering of a "lower budget" home shop type compressor.
Does the c9mpressor you have work okY for the most part?if so you can make a storage tank out of a water heater,it has a relief valve it's not going to blow up but it will buy you time in the high demand occasions. Re covery time will be long.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Does the c9mpressor you have work okY for the most part?if so you can make a storage tank out of a water heater,it has a relief valve it's not going to blow up but it will buy you time in the high demand occasions. Re covery time will be long.
Thought about that too - my friend has a shop where he just replaced the 80 gal there. He has the old tank at his house.....might be able to talk him out of it (he has similar plans). My 30 gal is a USA made Kobalt from several years ago I bought new. Looks and runs like new (I'm protective of it) - could probably get more out of it than I paid. I just dont think it has the capacity to paint - metallics in particular.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Two-stage over single stage. Oil over oiless. One thing to check is what rpm they run at to achieve the rated cfm. Some run at 3450 rpm, while the better units run at 1725 rpm which makes for a much quieter compressor. Also, try to find out where the pumps are made. The HF unit I have came with a U.S. made Century motor and a good pump made in Italy, but a few years ago HF switched to a new V-style pump and I haven't bothered to research how the updated style is holding up. People assume that HF means China, but their 60 gal. units come from the same factory in South Carolina as BelAire compressors.

When I researched compressors a few years ago I found that Husky and some of the larger Kobalt compressors are made by Campbell Hausfeld. The pumps on them used to be made in the U.S. but not anymore. The Mega brand you mentioned sounds interesting, and as long as there's a way to get parts if/when something goes wrong, I would consider that a good choice.

Try not to blow ALL your money on the compressor. Things like air dryers, retractable hose reels, and automatic tank drain valves make for a much nicer owner experience. I ended up spending more on two refrigerated air dryers (one for each stage) than I did on the compressor, but my air tools and blast cabinet appreciate the lack of moisture and will live much longer lives.
Thanks for the pointer on RPMs - will definitely look into that spec. Campbell Hausfeld was my front runner a few months ago - only issue I found with them is that anything not requiring a mortgage has low HP motors. I have read and been told that 5HP is a minimum for the larger tanks.

Really liking this Mega brand - its a fairly new brand (2017), made in USA and has most all stellar reviews. No idea who makes their electric motors, but their gas motors are all Honda. Price point allows for driers and such.....must haves. Thinking of calling the company directly and finding out if there are different levels of quality depending on who sells them.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Imo unless you need the extra psi’s it’s about the cfms

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5hp 60gal single stage minimum IMO for the serious DIY auto body work.
The only thing it won’t keep up with 100% is my air polisher if I’ve got acres of high speed polishing. And even then I need a break before it does usually.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've had my 60gal Quincy for several years now and I still love it. It's been maybe 8 years now? American made (not just assembled), 2 stage, good CFM and pretty quiet too. Even doing bodywork, it has no trouble keeping up. A compressor that isn't overworked will last much longer, imho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey